If you get a message stating Error 0xC1900101-0x20017, The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation’ while updating Windows, it basically indicates that you are having problems with your device drivers. Not updating your computer regularly makes your system vulnerable to any of these dangerous attacks. Therefore, the Windows update is necessary to keep your computer safe and running. Windows Update Not Working is a very common issue.
The 0xc1900101-0x20017 error occurs during updating Windows or installing windows 10. This is also known as a generic rollback code that indicates an incompatible driver. So just follow the methods in this article to be able to fix the windows update error: 0xC1900101-0x20017.
Table of Contents
- 1 Causes Of The Error 0xC1900101-0x20017
- 2 Methods To Fix Windows 10 Upgrade Error 0xC1900101-0x20017
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Causes Of The Error 0xC1900101-0x20017
The installation failure occurs when the OS is unable to migrate the driver because it causes an illegal operation during an update. This results in the operating system being rolled back. 0x80070643 is an error that has been reported by many users of Windows computer.
Typically drivers or disk encryption software that isn’t from Microsoft can cause SafeOS boot failure. The system verifies that the drivers are working properly during the SafeOS phase. An insecure operation or missing signatures will have an impact on the stability of the system. So it is crucial to fix the problem of the windows 10 update error 0xC1900101-0x20017.
Methods To Fix Windows 10 Upgrade Error 0xC1900101-0x20017
You should perform some quick fixes before going into complicated methods to fix the error. Ensure that you follow the points before going into the methods.
- To install Windows 10, your system must meet the requirements and pass the compatibility check.
- Before you begin an update or reinstall, ensure you have at least 20GB of free space on your computer. Disconnect any peripherals connected to your computer.
- Turn off any anti-virus or firewall programs. This may prompt your security software to flag the update as suspicious. False security alerts will prevent the OS from updating or installing.
- Make sure you’re not using a metered connection.
- Ensure that the date and time are set correctly in the Date and Time settings. Allow your computer to set the time and time zone automatically.
Then, follow these few methods by which you can fix windows 10 error 0xC1900101-0x20017 showing the installation failed in the safeOS.
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Update Your Drivers
Outdated drivers can generally cause the windows update error. You need to upgrade the drivers to the latest version compatible with your system. To do so, you need to go to the Device Manager and check for any exclamation mark next to your driver. If so, right-click on the driver and select Update Driver from the menu.
You can also use third-party tools to update your drivers, such as DriverFix, Double Driver, Driver Doctor, etc. These third-party softwares help to detect and update all the essential drivers. After they are installed and launched in your system, they scan for problematic drivers.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can try this method to fix the Windows 10 update error 0xC1900101-0x20017. Follow the steps below to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Go to Windows Control Panel and open Troubleshooting.
- Under the System and Security option, click on Fix problems with Windows Update.
- Then, select Next to troubleshoot the problems of the Windows update.
- After the troubleshooting process is done, restart your PC and check for updates.
Check Drive For Errors
Corrupted drives also led to the error that Windows 10 couldn’t be installed 0xC1900101-0x20017. Follow the steps below to fix the error 0xC1900101-0x20017:
- Click on This PC and right-click on your drive.
- Select Properties from the menu and click on the Tools tab.
- Click on the Check button to check the drive for file system errors.
- Then in the same window, go to the General tab and select Disk Cleanup.
- Select the same drive and delete all the temporary files listed there.
- Then, in the Disk Cleanup window, click on Clean up system files.
- Delete previous Windows installations.
After following these steps, restart your computer to check for errors.
Change The Registry settings
If you come across 0xC1900101-0x20017 Windows update error, it may be due to the registry. Follow the steps below to change the registry:
- Press Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit in the box and select OK.
- But before making any changes to the registry, you need to export your registry. To do so, go to File and then select Export.
- Select All and then enter the file name. Choose a location and click on Save. Your registry is now backed up to make any further changes.
- Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability.
- Change the values: Ring = WIF, RingBackup = WIS or Enabled, EnablePreviewBuilds = 2, BranchName = TH1, UserPreferredBranchName = TH1
- After making the changes in the registry, close the Registry Editor and restart your PC.
- After following these steps, check whether the issue of the windows update error is fixed or not.
Set Services To Automatic
- Press Windows Key + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.msc and select Ok.
- Find the following services: BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service), Windows Update Service, Cryptographic Service.
- Double-click on each of these services and open Properties.
- Now set the Startup type to Automatic. Then, to save changes, click on Apply and OK.
- Repeat this process for all the services.
- Finally, restart your computer and try to install Windows 10 again.
After you enable all these services, the error may resolve, and the message stating the installation failed in the safeoOS will not show.
Restart Windows Update Service
- In the Windows search bar, type services.
- Double-click on the Services app and select Windows Update.
- Right-click on the service and select Stop if the service is already running. Then restart it.
- If the service is disabled, right-click on it and select Start.
- Also, ensure that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic Service are running.
After following these steps, try to update the Windows again and check for the error 0xC1900101-0x20017 again. Read this article, if you face some service linked issues in Windows.
How to fix an installation that failed in the SafeOS phase with an error during the Apply_image operation?
Installation Failed in Safe_OS Phase With an Error During Apply_image Operation error can appear due to temporary files. One way to fix it is to uninstall them completely. To perform this, it's advisable to remove your problematic files or programs from your computer.
Why does my Windows installation fail?
One potential reason that you might see the error message “Windows 10 Installation has Failed” is if a key system dependency, process, or service is corrupted and cannot be swapped out for a new one during the upgrade process.
How do I delete a corrupted Windows Update?
Open the Recycle Bin on the desktop and right-click the Windows Update files you just deleted. Select 'Delete' from the menu and click 'Yes' to confirm you want to permanently remove the files from your computer if you are sure you no longer need them.
It is common to encounter Safe OS errors after installing or reinstalling the latest version of Windows 10. We hope that this article will help you to fix the windows update error 0xC1900101-0x20017. Just follow these easy methods to fix the error in your system.
Aloukik Rathore is a Delhi-based entrepreneur, musician, writer, and tech nerd. He has been blogging for about 7 years now.