Google Chrome is the supreme amongst every browser & Chromium accumulates various other browsers together. No doubt, they both are related to each other. Talking about Chromium, it is a free and open-source browser. Therefore, striving to make the web a safer, quicker, and more stable experience. Despite its positive evaluations and industry stability, some users complain about how to uninstall Chromium on their Windows 10.
Indeed, the presence of Malware is an indication of the trouble that Chromium won’t uninstall on Windows 10. Thus, it becomes necessary to delete it. In this article, we will let you find a solution on how to uninstall Chromium. It is just like other normal browsers.
Malware involvement in the first place can become a serious problem. As it will start spreading and affecting the other applications and programs. Firstly, you must know about Chromium Malware and its indications.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is Chromium Malware?
- 2 Signs That You Have Chromium Malware!
- 3 Guide: How To Uninstall Chromium From Windows 10?
- 3.1 Method 1: Stop The Running Chromium Processes And Uninstall Them Manually
- 3.2 Method 2: Use Control Panel To Uninstall Chromium
- 3.3 Method 3: Delete The User Data Folders Of Chromium
- 3.4 Method 4: Fix Chromium Won’t Uninstall on Windows Using A Third-Party Uninstaller Program
- 3.5 Method 5: Restore Your Browser’s Default Settings
- 3.6 Method 6: Scan Your Computer For Malware
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Is Chromium Malware?
Chromium is a reliable and legalized open-source web browser. However, it is just like an authorized browser Google Chrome. However, it’s open-source, allowing hackers to replicate and distribute the Malware to other programs.
Remember to use a reputable source while downloading Chromium and proactively regularly update it.
Signs That You Have Chromium Malware!
Pay attention to some signs that alert you about the Chromium virus on your system:
- The default home page of your web browser appears different.
- Suddenly, you notice the ‘new tab‘ change on the search page.
- In your web surfing, you see irrelevant search results.
- You may notice an inevitable increase in the number of advertisements.
- Performance of your PC slow down and much usage of CPU
- You can’t access the installed applications and programs on your PC.
Therefore, you should follow a few tips, tricks, and tools in our guide below on how to uninstall Chromium.
Guide: How To Uninstall Chromium From Windows 10?
Before you try more hands-on techniques on how to delete Chromium from your Windows 10, you should first try more standard methods.
It usually works without a hitch.
Method #0 Use Restoro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Method 1: Stop The Running Chromium Processes And Uninstall Them Manually
You may be unable to find the solution on Chromium won’t uninstall on Windows 10 since the process is still operating in the background.
Therefore, to solve this manually terminate all Chromium processes running in the background. Later, follow the given steps for uninstalling it:
- Open Task Manager from the context menu by right-clicking any empty area in your taskbar. Use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut instead.
- If the Task Manager opened in compact mode, tap on the “More Details” in the lower corner of the window.
- Find and hit “Chromium” on the “Processes” tab.
- You will see the “End task” button in the lower-right of the Window’s corner; tap it. When you notice that Chromium has been deleted, go to Settings Apps and uninstall it.
Method 2: Use Control Panel To Uninstall Chromium
Windows Control Panel is the classic feature available on Windows 10 that you might often forget. It is easy to use and gives effective solutions.
Perform these steps given below via Windows Control Panel to uninstall Chromium
- Press the Windows + R keys and Run the application.
2. Type Control Panel and then tap on the OK button/ press Enter. It will open up your classic Control Panel.
4. Find “Chromium” and right-click on it once. Click “Uninstall” and finish the process of uninstalling by following the on-screen instructions.
Method 3: Delete The User Data Folders Of Chromium
Almost every application on your phone or tablet saves your data. Additionally, it includes usernames, cache, and preferences.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Press the Windows + R keys and Run the application. Type “% AppData %” in the input area, press OK, or click Enter on your keyboard. It will immediately launch File Explorer and navigate to the AppData Roaming folder.
2. Browse for the “Chromium” folder. After right-clicking on the “Chromium” folder, press “Delete” from the context menu.
3. Then, using the Windows + R keyboard shortcut again, open the Run Utility and type “%localappdata%”
4. Delete the “Chromium” folder.
5. Go to your Desktop. Clear the Recycle Bin. It should remove the contents of your device’s user data folders.
Don’t panic when Chromium won’t uninstall on Windows 10. Try deleting the Chromium files folder. However, if necessary, reinstall the browser.
Method 4: Fix Chromium Won’t Uninstall on Windows Using A Third-Party Uninstaller Program
To permanently remove Chromium, you can use any third-party application uninstaller. The uninstaller takes care of everything. You don’t have to manually uninstall the app or the user data folder when using an uninstaller.
Presently, there are a plethora of third-party uninstallers on the market. Revo Uninstaller is one such uninstaller. You can use it for a lot more than just removing Chromium.
- Install Revo Uninstaller and tap the Browser Extensions shown on the left side of the window. Then, select all the extensions that you want to delete.
- Select the Remove button on the left of the Display Window.
Method 5: Restore Your Browser’s Default Settings
Whenever you notice some unusual browser behavior after installing the Chromium process, go back to your browser’s default settings. Also, keep in mind that any modifications, if already done, will get undone.
Follow the steps below to restore your browser’s default settings. We are using Google Browser to explain.
- To begin, go to your computer and open a web browser.
2. Now, click the triple dots in the upper right corner of the browser, more menu in Google Chrome.
3. From the drop-down menu, tap “Settings.
4. Hit “Advanced” at the bottom of the screen.
5. Scroll down to “Reset and clean up” at the bottom of the page.
7. After selecting the “Reset settings” option, allow Google Chrome to reopen.
Method 6: Scan Your Computer For Malware
Lastly, perform the scanning, the best possible trick on how to delete Chromium. This virus is capable of self-replication. Therefore, it can detect infected files/ folders. Also, it has the capability of re-downloading any lost data indefinitely. If you’ve had the Malware for a long time, it may have spread to your other programs. Thus, it’s better to clean up the folders or files infected by the Malware by Chromium.
Malwarebytes is the most fantastic free, all-in-one solution, in our opinion.
Moreover, take the help of the steps given below on How to Uninstall Chromium on Windows 10 to remove the Malware:
- Malwarebytes can be available for download and installation. Now, open Malwarebytes and Run Scan by clicking the Window’s left-most panel.
- Press the Start Scan button after selecting Threat Scan from the drop-down menu.
- Let the scan finish; this could take a couple of hours, depending on your computer.
- After that, Click View Identified Threats. Examine to see the removal of any registry entries or browser-related files.
- Before hitting the Quarantine Selected button, twice check and select all Threats.
- One last time, reboot your computer. There should be no trace of the Chromium Malware on the next startup. Hence, it will help you on how to remove Chromium on Windows 10
Additionally, check the most frequently asked questions by people on how to delete Chromium.
How do I get rid of Chromium on its own?
To open a Run window, press Windows key + R. To open Programs and Features, type 'appwiz. cpl' and press Enter button. Next, scroll down the Programs and Features list to Chromium, right-click it and select Uninstall.
Is the Chromium browser infected with a virus?
The Chromium browser is not a virus. The Google-developed Chromium browser is safe to use. However, it may be fake if downloaded from an unknown source.
What are the benefits of using Chromium?
Chromium has the advantage of allowing Linux distributions that require open-source software. It offers a browser that is nearly identical to Chrome. For Linux distributors, Chromium can substitute Firefox as the default web browser.
Since Chromium isn’t a virus, there’s no need to delete it right away. Examine the Chromium for any red signals that could indicate a Malware infection.
With this in mind, you’ll be able to protect yourself in these challenging circumstances better if you know “how to uninstall Chromium.” Altogether, use the above approaches because they are compatible with various operating systems. Always keep an eye out for potentially harmful browser add-ons. To sum up, twice check everything you download from the internet before installing it.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂