Very frequently, Windows 8 and Windows 10 users receive this critical process died error on their computer screens. The Windows operating system makes sure that only authorized applications to access specific data and parts of your system so this error occurs when a critical component of Windows System process fails due to detecting an unauthorized modification to its data and stops running correctly which leads to crashing of your system.
Also Fix: GDI+ Window Preventing to Shutdown
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Does Critical Process Died Error Occur?
- 2 How to Fix Critical Process Died Error in Windows 10
- 2.1 Method 1: Uninstall latest updates on your PC
- 2.2 Method 2: Disable sleep mode and Hibernate
- 2.3 Method 3: Run System File Checker
- 2.4 Method 4: Run DISM to fix the issue
- 2.5 Method 5: Run CCleaner and Antimalware
- 2.6 Method 6: Boot your computer clean or enter safe mode
- 2.7 Method 7: Restore your system
- 2.8 Method 8: Update the latest Drivers
- 2.9 Method 9: Check your disk for errors
- 2.10 Method 10: Reinstall or Refresh the Windows
- 3 Conclusion
Why Does Critical Process Died Error Occur?
This error is accompanied by BSOD that is Blue screen of Death, which appears due to different software and hardware problem. The BSOD Error causes a lot of trouble as it doesn’t allow you to do anything on your computer. Moreover, the Microsoft Forum says that ‘’ If the processor is unable to process these multiple processes correctly, it generates the critical_process_died error.” This error usually occurs unexpectedly and due to the following reasons:
1. When users use their system during sleep mode after installation of updates on Windows 10 PC.
2. Due to Corrupt Device Drivers
3. Corrupt Windows Registry
4. Damaged Files or documents
5. Bad RAM
6. Due to faults in Hard Disk
Critical process died error occurs very frequently on Windows 10 systems. So in this article, you will get to know about the BSoD problems that are caused by the critical process died error. Since there a couple of reasons behind this issue, there are multiple numbers of solutions as well to fix this problem.
How to Fix Critical Process Died Error in Windows 10
Here in this article, you can learn some easy ways to fix this issue whenever it occurs. So go through all the methods once and select the one which you would like to try to solve your problem.
Method 1: Uninstall latest updates on your PC
Sometimes the recently downloaded software is infected or corrupted by the virus which causes the critical process died error, and it may harm your system. In fact, many users have claimed that the upgraded version of Windows 10 has arrived with critical process died error on their computer.
So be careful when you download and install any of the new software to make sure it is not infected with the virus. And if the error occurs go for anti-virus scan on your computer and remove the files which are affected by it. To uninstall the latest updates:
Also Fix: Err_SSL_Version_Or_Cipher_Mismatch Error
1. At First, go to settings and click on Windows update.
2. Then select the Update history option.
3. Afterward, click on Uninstall Updates and choose the Updates that you would like to uninstall and click Uninstall.
Check Out: Fix Not Enough Storage is Available to Process This Command
Method 2: Disable sleep mode and Hibernate
To fix the critical process died error:
1. At First, open Control panel and type Power options in the search bar.
2. Then click on change what the power button do in the Power options.
3. Then click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
4. Afterward, uncheck Sleep and Hibernate.
5. Save the changes now and restart your system.
Method 3: Run System File Checker
Critical process died error can also occur due to some missing or corrupted files. So you can use the sfc or scannow command to check your system. This command is very efficient as it checks your system entirely and if there is an issue, it rectifies it with time. It uses the backup system to obtain the missing files again. To try out this method follow the process given below:
1. At First, type cmd in the search box and then Right click to give the command prompt and choose the option Run as administrator. It will open a command window.
2. Write sfc/ scannow in the window and press Enter. The scanning process will take some time so be patient till then and let it finish without interrupting.
3. After the process is done, you will encounter either of the two notification. One is Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations, this will appear if there are no corrupted files in your system and if there are corrupted files you will see Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them a notification.
4. Finally, you can Restart your system now.
Related Errors: Windows 10 Random Restart Error
Method 4: Run DISM to fix the issue
DISM is deployment Image Servicing and Management; it can help you solve the critical process died issue. Follow the steps:
1. At First, go to the command prompt by searching for it in the panel and then Right click on Run as administrator.
2. Then write these commands one after another in the command prompt
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image/CheckHealth
- Dism/ Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth.
And press Enter.
3. Wait until the scanning takes place. The procedure will take a few minutes to complete may be more than 10 minutes which is very normal in this case.
4. Finally, restart the system.
Method 5: Run CCleaner and Antimalware
It is another method to fix the critical process died error:
1. Firstly download and install CCleaner and Malwarebytes.
Also Fix Application Error 0xc0000005
2. Run Malwarebytes as it will scan your system to find out the corrupt files.
3. If malware is found on your computer, it will remove them automatically.
4. Now Run CCleaner and Tick right on all the selections to get it cleaned.
5. Then click on Run cleaner and wait till the process is done.
6. Click on the Registry tab now and again click on all the selections and make sure they are checked.
7. Select Scan for issue option and let the CCleaner scan and after this click on Fix Selected Issues. Then choose
Yes, when a window appears.
8. Once the backup is done select Fix All Selected Issues.
9. At last, Restart your system.
Method 6: Boot your computer clean or enter safe mode
Windows which have a clean boot uses the minimum set of start-up programs and drivers which in turn minimizes all the software struggle program that occurs all the time whenever you install new software or program or update. These are the steps to boot a Windows 10 computer system:
1. At First, go to Run menu, and type msconfig in the box and press Enter to go further.
2. The services tab will appear now. Then click on Hide all Microsoft services and then click on the Disable for all option.
3. Afterward, click and choose the Open Task Manager on the Startup tab.
4. In the start-up tab click on Task Manager > select each item > and click on the disable option at last.
5. Finally, close the Task Manager. Now click on OK to reboot your system.
These are the steps to enter safe mode:
1. Try booting a couple of times until there appears a list of three booting options.
2. Then click on Troubleshoot to see advanced options.
3. Afterward, select Advanced options.
4. Select Startup Settings.
5. Then click on the restart button and select Enable safe mode option.
Method 7: Restore your system
If you are new to face the critical process died problem; you can go for run System Restore method. This method will remove all the recently installed apps and programs which may have caused this problem. This method will allow you to come back to the earlier performance of your system without affecting or harming any files and data. Also, remember that you won’t be able to perform a system restore if you have created a restore point. There are some advanced tools to perform the system restore like Advanced Startup Options and a Hard Reboot. You have to follow the steps to restore your system:
1. At First, go to the Settings option and choose Update and Security there.
2. Then click on Recovery which is displayed in the left pane.
3. Afterward, click on Get Started with Reset the PC option.
4. Select the option to keep all your files.
5. Finally, follow all the instructions to finish the reset procedure.
Method 8: Update the latest Drivers
You need to continually update the drivers of your system to get rid of the problem of critical process died error as many times this error is occurred due to outdated drivers or hardware of the system which cannot compete with the changes in your system. Also, this is the most comfortable solution to fix the critical process died error and other blue screen errors in Windows computer.
You can search for the outdated drivers and update them only but if you do no find the drivers which are causing the issue do update all the drivers who are appropriate to download on Windows 10. To update the recent drivers:
1. Press Window + X simultaneously to open Device Manager window.
2. Check for all the drivers, if a driver is not correct there will be a yellow exclamation mark beside it. If that happens to reinstall the driver after uninstalling it. Sometimes drivers or hardware are not able to coordinate with the updated Windows System so you would be required to update all the available drivers.
3. Right click on the driver and tick on the Upgrade Driver Software.
Method 9: Check your disk for errors
You can check your drive on Windows 10 using Command Prompt to look if there are any errors caused by it. To check to follow the instructions below:
1. Start a command prompt as an administrator and to solve the critical process died error, type chkdsk C: /f command and press Enter. (Replace C if you are checking disks that starts from other than C letter)
2. This command will detect and repair the issues that were affecting your drive.
3. Also if you do not use the /f parameter, chkdsk shows a message that file needs to be fixed, but it will not automatically fix the errors. While the chkdsk C: /f command will identify and fix all the issues that were affecting your drive.
4. If you want to repair the physical issues as well, use the /r parameter as well.
Method 10: Reinstall or Refresh the Windows
It is the last option that you can opt for when the critical process died error is displayed on your screen to reinstall or refresh the Windows. Though this method solves the issue, it may cause you a lot of efforts.
If you do Refresh your Windows, it will keep your data intact, but the base operating system will be reinstalled. To refresh your system aim the pointer of your mouse to the right side of your screen and click on Settings > Change PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery. And then Click on OK.
And if you opt for Reinstalling the Windows, it will remove everything from the drive on your system especially the C drive. To reinstall format your C drive first and then insert your Windows OS DVD and get started.
So these were some of the straightforward remedies to solve the issue of critical process died error. They are very easy to follow and does not cause any harm to the personal data on your computer system. Hope this article will help you to get rid of your error problems.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂