The anime industry, which started in the early twentieth century, is worth more than 26 Billion US Dollars. Moreover, one of the most famous platforms to stream anime and movies is Crunchyroll, and just about every person who has used Crunchyroll has felt the pain of the Crunchyroll subtitles not working.
The Crunchyroll subtitle dilemma is too familiar, and the most effective ways to solve it include basic troubleshooting, checking the internet, and toggling subtitles on and off.
However, your issue still needs to be resolved after your utmost effort. In that case, you can use this guide that provides various workarounds and advanced solutions to solve the Crunchyroll subtitles dilemma.
Understanding the issue
Anime refers to the hand-drawn and computer-animated stories that originate from Japan. Since they originate from Japan, the native language in which they are published is Japanese.
For example, when they want to watch their favorite latest anime episode, and it’s not dubbed in their language, they prefer watching the subtitled version.
Crunchyroll, the platform responsible for fulfilling such wishes, has a subtitle feature that usually needs to be fixed. The issues can manifest as a lack of displayed captions, captions in the wrong language, or a need for synchronization of captions. You can click here if adblock is not working on Crunchyroll.
Significant reasons for such happenings include poor internet connection, errors and bugs developed due to excessive use, or wrong settings configuration.
Common Solutions and Workarounds
You can try various workarounds to solve the “Crunchyroll subtitles not working.”
A lot of issues can be solved by following basic troubleshooting steps. These basics include optimizing your internet connection, restarting your Crunchyroll app or website, resetting the app, etc.
Ensure Subtitles are enabled
Ensure that subtitles in the Crunchyroll app are enabled by following these steps:
- Open your Crunchyroll app.
- Afterward, Navigate to your profile section by clicking your profile or account button.
- Likewise, Scroll and look for the option “Show closed captions.”
- if the toggle for this option is closed, undoubtedly turn it on.
- Correspondingly, Return to your Crunchyroll home screen and check whether this method resolves the issue.
- Open the Crunchyroll Website and sign in.
- Afterward, Navigate to your profile section by clicking on your Avatar icon.
- After that, Select “My Account” and then scroll down until you find “Video settings” under the “Preferences” section.
- Now that the toggle next to “Show Closed Captions” is off, turn it on.
- Finally, Return to the Crunchyroll homepage and check whether this method resolves the issue.
- Open the Crunchyroll app on your smart TV.
- Play any episode that you’d like to watch.
- Click on the center button on your remote, and select the “Subtitles” button from the available controls.
- Choose the subtitles in your desired language.
Force quitting and relaunching the Crunchyroll app
Force quit and relaunch the Crunchyroll app by following these steps:
- Open the recent apps section on your Iphone. These are the apps that are active in your background.
- Consecutively, Swipe up the Crunchyroll app to close it.
- Finally, Reopen the Crunchyroll app to check whether this method resolves the issue.
- Open your app drawer and tap and hold the Crunchyroll app icon.
- Click on “App info.”
- Eventually, when the Crunchyroll app settings open, click “Force Stop.”
- Then again, Reopen the Crunchyroll app to check whether this method resolves the issue.
- Close the Crunchyroll app.
- Especially for better results, turn off your smart TV and restart after 30 seconds.
- Open the Crunchyroll app again and check whether this method resolves the issue.
Try the following technical solutions if you need help solving caption muddle.
Checking internet speeds
Check if your internet is working perfectly so that there is no slow internet issue that might be the cause of your “Crunchyroll app subtitles are not working.” You can check your internet speed at this website.
If you’re using an Apple TV, you can download the Ookla app to check if your internet speed is facing any downtime or not.
Disabling VPN services
The use of a VPN can cause slow internet speed issues. Moreover, due to your VPN, you might be unable to see subtitles in the required language. Hence, do not use a VPN until it is necessary.
See Also: Common Avast VPN Problems – Quick Fix
Clearing browser cache
The internet offers specific instructions for clearing Crunchyroll’s browser cache based on your browser.
App and Device Management
This section includes how to manage your app and browser to solve your “subtitles are not working on Crunchyroll.”
Updating the Crunchyroll app and web browser
If you’re suffering from Crunchyroll subtitles not working, then try updating your Crunchyroll app and web browser. To update your Crunchyroll app, follow these steps:
- Open your app store or Play store.
- Afterward, Search for the Crunchyroll app and click the “Update” button.
- If you can’t see the “Update button,” it implies your Crunchyroll app is up-to-date.
To update your web browser, follow these steps:
- Search on your current browser for “update (your browser name).”
- Click on the first link that shows up.
- Follow the steps shown on your screen to complete the process.
Clearing app cache and data
You can also clear the app’s cache and data. Follow these steps:
- Open the settings on your device.
- Navigate to the app section or app management.
- Find the Crunchyroll app and open it.
- Click on the “clear cache,” “Clear data,” or “Clear storage” button.
Reinstalling the Crunchyroll app
To reinstall the Crunchyroll app, follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the Crunchyroll icon from your app drawer.
- The “Uninstall” button will appear; click it.
- Once the application is uninstalled, head to the Play Store or the device’s app store.
- Search for the Crunchyroll app and install it.
User Experiences and Community Solutions
You’re wrong if you only think you’re suffering from “Why are Crunchyroll subtitles not working?”. Users across various platforms, including iOS and PlayStation, have reported issues with Crunchyroll subtitles not working, leading to frustrating viewing experiences.
Some iOS users have encountered problems where subtitles fail to appear while streaming anime content on Crunchyroll. Users have described instances where subtitles are delayed or not displayed, disrupting their understanding of the storyline.
PlayStation users have reported similar issues with Crunchyroll subtitles. In some cases, subtitles do not sync correctly with the audio, causing a mismatch between spoken dialogue and text. This issue has particularly frustrated gamers who use their PlayStation consoles to access Crunchyroll.
Users on various web browsers have also faced subtitle-related problems. This includes instances where subtitles appear out of sync, overlap with other text, or do not display at all.
There are multiple community forums and discussions on this topic. Many of them have various workarounds that you can try to find a solution that matches your case online.
Advanced solutions to address the issue of “subtitles are not working on the Crunchyroll app” include the following:
Changing Location Settings on the Streaming Device:
To change the location settings on your streaming device, follow these steps:
- Ensure your streaming device’s location settings accurately correspond with your current location. Subtitle availability can differ depending on your region due to licensing restrictions.
- If you use a VPN or proxy service, consider deactivating it or selecting a server in a region where Crunchyroll provides comprehensive subtitle support. VPNs may occasionally disrupt the delivery of subtitles.
Restarting the Streaming Device:
Restarting your streaming device is a potential solution for subtitle problems. Here’s how:
- Turn off your streaming device completely.
- Wait for a short interval, then power it on again.
- Open the Crunchyroll app and check if the subtitles work as expected.
Addressing Persistent Issues
If your issues are persistent, then this is what you need to do:
What to do when standard solutions fail
When faced with the frustrating issue of “subtitles are not working Crunchyroll,” even after attempting the usual solutions like refreshing the page, checking your internet connection, or restarting the app, it’s essential to have a plan for when these common fixes prove ineffective.
In such cases, it becomes crucial to adopt a systematic approach, as outlined in the preceding text.
Contacting Crunchyroll customer service
- Start by visiting Crunchyroll’s official support page, which typically contains FAQs and contact options.
- Frequently, the solution to your issue may already be available in the frequently asked questions section. Make sure to check there first.
Engaging in community forums for help
- Seek out Crunchyroll’s official forums or well-known online communities dedicated to anime enthusiasts.
- Use the forum’s search function to see if others have encountered and resolved the same issue. This can save you time and frustration.
- If you can’t find an existing solution, create a new post detailing your issue and the steps you’ve taken to address it. Always maintain a respectful and polite tone when seeking help from the community.
You can enjoy uninterrupted anime viewing by following these steps diligently.
Preventive Measures and Best Practices
To avoid such issues happening to you again, you need to follow some best practices and preventive measures:
Keeping apps and browsers updated
Keeping apps and browsers updated also ensures that new versions will work with new releases of your firmware. Firmware is the base software that supports other software on top of it, particularly in smart TVs.
Managing settings to avoid future issues
- Subtitle Language Settings: Make sure the subtitle language selected in the app matches your preferred language.
- Subtitle Display Settings: Check for any settings related to subtitle display. Some apps allow you to adjust the subtitles’ font size, style, color, and background. Ensure these settings are configured to your preference.
- Video Quality Settings: Sometimes, lower-quality video streams may have subtitle issues. This implies that if you choose to stream at higher quality, your chances of having subtitle issues will be considerably reduced.
How do I change the subtitle language on Crunchyroll?
Open the Crunchyroll website, and click on your account avatar. Under video preferences, click on the default language dropdown and choose your preferred language.
How do I put English subtitles on Crunchyroll?
Open the Crunchyroll website, and click on your account avatar. Turn on 'show closed captions' in the default language dropdown, and choose 'English.'
Do you have to pay for Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll offers a free tier and three paid tiers, which you can choose from per your requirements and comfort. The free tier is ad-supported and doesn't provide complete access to all anime. The other three paid tiers offer various benefits that you can check out here.
How do I get my captions to work on Crunchyroll?
There can be numerous reasons for subtitles not working on Crunchyroll. You can try basic troubleshooting steps ( like enabling subtitles, resetting apps ), optimizing internet speed, disabling VPN, clearing browser data, and if nothing solves the issue, then contacting customer support.
Hence, we can say that significant ways of solving the issue of Crunchyroll subtitle not working include basic troubleshooting steps ( like enabling subtitles, resetting apps ), optimizing internet speed, disabling VPN, clearing browser data, and if nothing solves the issue, then contacting customer support.
It also encourages the readers to engage more in community discussions and forums as that will benefit large proportions of people and spread the knowledge and multiple workarounds about solving this and many problems.
Mauro Huculak: Technical writer specializing in Windows 10 and related technologies. Microsoft MVP with extensive IT background and certifications.