Among the highly played games on the globe is The Elder Scrolls Online. It is an online, vastly multiplayer character game. ESO won’t launch, according to several issues reported by Windows gamers.
If you are experiencing issues with the game crashing to a black screen, you should first ensure that your machine meets the game’s minimum requirements here. Also, Playing the software in administrator mode or re-configuring Microsoft C++ are two solutions for the same.
There have been some issues with the ESO launcher for some Windows players. Since the ESO launcher stalls or hangs and won’t move further, they can’t even start the game. Fixes for ESO won’t launch discussed ahead.
See Also: 5 Best Solitaire Games On Steam
Fixes To Why ESO Won’t Launch
The Elder Scrolls Online won’t launch after the download on a Windows PC, or it refuses to load further and crashes after a while.
In that case, you can try each suggested remedy separately to see if your issue has been resolved.
Verify the server
Have you checked the server for Elder Scrolls Online? There is a chance that the game server is unavailable due to maintenance. As a result, we advise you to check the Elder Scrolls Online/Downdetector to see whether other players are experiencing the same issue. You can also follow the Authorities on Twitter to stay up to date on any game-related concerns, upcoming events, etc. You only have to wait if there is a server outage; otherwise, you have no obligations. You can wait for the developers to fix the server problem.
Play the program in Administrator mode.
If you do not launch your gaming as administrator, it may have issues opening, launching, or even collapsing during configuration. As a result, it’s advisable to run the application’s executable file as an administrator on your Windows PC to see whether that fixes the problem. To do this:
- On your computer, perform right-click on the eso.exe shortcut file. Next, click Properties and then the Compatibility section.
- Select the Launch this program as administrator option. Following selecting Apply, click OK to save your changes. Make an ESO Firewall Exception.
Make a Firewall Exception for ESO
The Windows Firewall could identify the ESO as a danger and block it if it doesn’t launch. Just permit the ESO launcher to flow through the firewall to resolve this problem.
- From the Start panel, choose Control Panel. Select System and Security from the menu of choices.
- Select the Permit an application via the Windows Defender Firewall thread, and hit OK. Select the Change Settings tab to check ESO’s Private and Public boxes. To accept the modifications, click OK.
Configure Microsoft C++ again
Microsoft Visual C++ is necessary for most new video games to run properly on a PC. You will undoubtedly have the ESO won’t launch screen problem if this application becomes corrupt.
- Simply hit Windows + I to open the Settings app. From the settings panel, select Apps. From the left pane, select the Apps category, then click Apps & Features.
- After selecting Microsoft Visual C++, then uninstall. To verify the decision, press OK.
Repeat this procedure to remove every version of Microsoft Visual C++ you’ve installed. Go to the Microsoft website and acquire the required executables, after which you should launch the installation.
Verify the game files integrity.
Verifying and repairing the game files with the help of the game launcher can be beneficial if, for some reason, your game files are corrupted or missing. How to do it:
- Start Steam > Select Library. Select Elder Scrolls Online from the menu of loaded games with the right click. Then, go to Properties > Local Folders. Select Validate Game File Authenticity from the options.
- You must stay till the operation is completed. Restart your computer when finished.
Newest GPU drivers
Numerous impacted players have reported the dated graphics driver. If you’ve been using an outdated graphics driver, be sure to check for updates by performing the actions listed below:
- Utilize the Windows + X keys to enter the Quick Link Panel. Double-click on Display Adapters after selecting Device Manager from the menu.
- Right-click the presently engaged standalone graphics card and select Properties. After that, choose Update driver > Instantaneously scan for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system will immediately retrieve and install it. Restarting the computer will make the modifications take effect.
Install Windows update
The ESO launcher is not working? The game may not function properly if any Windows flaws or system files collide in some way. Sometimes not updating the program for a while can also cause an incompatibility problem. Install all pending Windows updates, and always use the most recent OS build. For that:
- To access the Windows Settings menu, press Windows + I. Then, select Update & Security > Scan for upgrades in the Windows Update area.
- Choose to download and install if a feature update is accessible. Keep waiting until the update is finished. To instantly apply changes, restart your computer.
Removing inaccurate program data
The program data used to retrieve the initiating configurations may be corrupted if you have ESO won’t update or the ESO update stuck issues. You can remove these data in this situation to fix the issue. All you have to do is :
- Restart your PC after completely closing the ESO launcher and all running programs.
- The Launcher folder for your game can be found by using File Explorer. It is in the below directory by default: Zenimax Online Launcher is located in C: Program Files (x86). Locate and remove the ProgramData folder from the Launcher folder.
The Elder Scrolls Online launcher is not opening. Why ?
You ought to erase your downloaded cache if you are having trouble starting ESO through Steam (for instance, if it appears you are playing, but it doesn't open). The Steam Support website has directions on how to accomplish this.
How can I download the ESO launcher again ?
Once the folder has been removed, you can reinstall it by downloading the ESO Launcher from your account administration page. You can accomplish this by entering your account on their website and selecting the Download Game button on the page for your chosen platform.
Do I need to purchase ESO for PC again ?
A single ESO account can be used to enjoy The Elder Scrolls Online on a Personal computer, Stadia, or Xbox. and PlayStation. However, you will require a duplicate if you want to play the game on each platform.
ESO 64 or 32 bits ?
The ESO patcher will install the 64-bit version of Windows. It still needs to be installed if you are you are using the 64-bit version. Ensure your shortcut is updated if ESO won't launch. You must update to Windows 64-bit if you are still playing ESO while using a 32-bit operating system version.
See Also: Know more about ESO
For Windows PCs, The Elder Scroll Online is an amazing online video game. On our desktop computers, we may play it using either Steam or the ESO Launcher. Some customers keep complaining about a specific problem with this video game: the game won’t launch when we try to play it. You can utilize the troubleshooting techniques indicated above.
Gravit Sinha: Founder of ValidEdge, a problem-solving website, driven by his lifelong passion for fixing issues.