A fundamental component of the business world today is Microsoft Excel. The application is used to record data and create meaningful charts for visual data analysis. Nonetheless, most people have questions in excel about in excel how to change legend text, and also many have been found issues when taking part in some of the actions in how to change legend text in excel.
In a chart, legend names are automatically created and are known by the information in the cells above each column or an entire row of data that is being utilized for the chart. If you wish to change the legend names, you can do so by updating the information in those cells. As well as updating the legend name, Select data can do that as well.
Here are a few steps to follow in excel on how to change legend text.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Show Excel Legends on Chart
- 2 How to Edit Legend Entries in Excel
- 3 The Legend in The Chart Can Be edited By Changing The Name or Changing its Position And Format.
- 4 How to Format an Excel Legend
- 5 Use The Select Data Source Dialog
- 6 FAQ’s
- 7 Conclusion
How to Show Excel Legends on Chart
The intent of the legend in Excel charts is to explain what type of data is visually in any color. It is a simple square that contains a description of the color and a description of the text.
The legend will not display when you are creating a chart with that data. To fix this, select the entire chart. Then, click the plus sign button found on the Chart’s right-hand side. By this on excel how to change legend text can be done.
In the next step, you will toggle on legends from the element menu. If you want to see where the legend is located on the chart, click on the small black arrow on the Chart.
How to Edit Legend Entries in Excel
The legend on a graph is a visual representation of each series of data, which makes it easier to understand them. The legend changes according to the chart’s data. In simple terms, if the data includes many color visuals, legends show what each visual label represents.
We can easily understand charts by using legends. Legends are automatically modified whenever we create a graph or plot our data. If we encounter an Excel chart without a legend, we can easily add one by following these steps:
- Firstly, Click anywhere on the chart
- Click the Layout tab, then Legend
- From the Legend drop-down menu, select the position we prefer for the legend
Then the legend will appear on the right side.
The Legend in The Chart Can Be edited By Changing The Name or Changing its Position And Format.
Follow the below steps:
- Firstly, Open the excel sheet on your computer in which you want to edit.
- Secondly, Click on the chart you want to edit or modify in your excel sheet. By clicking it at the top of the spreadsheet, that will display the Display, layout, and format.
- Click on the Design Tab on the top of your Excel sheet, and it will display your design tools in the toolbar. (This tab name will be different based on your excel version, some may be as Chart design)
- Click Select data in the design toolbar. This will open a new tab in which you can edit your legend and data values.
- Select the legend entry in the “legend entries box” This box has all the legend entries on your chart. Find the entry that you edit here, click on it and select.
- Click on the edit button. This will help you to edit the selected entries and data names. ( In some versions of excels, you won’t be able to see the Edit button, you can instead look for the name or series name)
- You can type a new entry name in the Series name box. Double click the text field, delete the existing name and enter the name you want to be in that particular box.
- Enter a new chart value in the Y value box. You can delete the existing data value in the box and enter a new value in your chart. If you have many values, make sure you use a comma to separate that.
- Click the Ok button, and this will save your name and value edits, apply the changes.
By this, excel how to change legend text, the query is known. And also, you can change legend names in excel.
Things to Remember When We Add Legend
Below are little things to remember.
- By default, we see legends at the bottom.
- Legends are dynamic and change as per there is the change in color, texture, and text.
- We can navigate the positioning of the legend as per our wish but cannot place it outside the chart area.
How to Format an Excel Legend
Several options are available to modify a legend after the display is in an Excel Chart. These options include changing the size, color, and adding text effects. All the process by right-clicking on the legend and selecting Font from the menu.
Fill & Line is the first section, and then Effects is the second, and finally, Legend options are the last one. In the first section, you can add a border to the legend text. One of the biggest challenges in making the legend visible is to let it stand out visually using effects such as glows and shadows, as well as control its location within the chart.
This also helps in how to edit the legend in excel.
Use The Select Data Source Dialog
Firstly, you can select the chart, choose the data from the menu, and use the right mouse button to access the select data source dialog box, which will allow you to edit the series name. I’m sure you’ve already noticed that when you change the series name in Excel, the legend will change. In the Tools design tab, you will find select data after you choose the chart.
From the Legend Entries or the series list, select the legend whose name you want to change. Secondly, click on Edit Button and then type a name into the series name text box. Finally, click OK to dismiss the box with your new legend name.
Once you have done that, select the Data Source dialog, and the legend name is updated. And also Please note that changing the legend name will not change the text containing the data in the column.
Using this one of the methods, excel how to change legend text can be solved.
Can you edit the text of the legend in excel?
Yes, using the Design tab in the data section, click select data. In the data source dialog box, in the legend entries, choose the legend entry you want to change.
How to remove or how to change legend labels in excel?
Right-click on the series you want to hide and select hide properties. Select legend and select the do not show legend option.
In conclusion, Here is the complete guide on how to change legend text, how to format an excel legend, use the select data source dialog, and how to show legend text. There are numerous steps to follow, changing legend name in excel, etc. Ensure that you follow each and every step carefully.
Mauro Huculak is a technical writer. His primary focus is to write comprehensive how-tos to help users get the most out of Windows 10 and its many related technologies. He has an IT background with professional certifications from Microsoft, Cisco, and CompTIA, and he’s a recognized member of the Microsoft MVP community.