Are your function keys not working? And makes you wonder why “f key not working in windows 10?” To help you, we have compiled easy fixes to repair the f key. An over the top fix is to confirm that the function keys are not locked. Often the function key gets locked by accident that can cause an error in the f key.
If this is not the case, try turning off the filter key, reinstalling the keyboard driver, or run for troubleshooting. Read further to know easy and step-by-step guide that will allow you to navigate easily while you are fixing the error. Without any delay, let us proceed to solve this problem and fix the malfunction in the function key.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Methods To Fix “f” Key.
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
Best Methods To Fix “f” Key.
Mentioned below are easy to follow fixes that will assist you to repair the f key error in an instant. Read further to know more.
Check The f Key Status
When the f key is not working in windows 10, it usually gets locked by accident. Make sure to check it and unlock it. When the f1-f12 keys are not working in windows 10, they are locked.
Your keyboard will determine how you can succeed in this. Many keyboards have an fn lock key, but if your keyboard doesn’t have an fn lock key, press Esc+ fn together to unlock the f keys.
Ckeck Me Out: Can’t Drag And Drop Windows 10? 5 Solutions To Fix It
Turn Off The Filter Keys
Windows 10 provide the feature of filter keys that enables the system to dismiss the key you press numerous times. Pressing the key several times can be another cause of why function keys are not functioning on the keyboard. Follow these simple instructions to shut off the filter keys.
- Go to Start and open settings, then click on Ease of Access.
- Click on the keyboard, find filter keys on the right-side panel, and turn it off.
Get Here: Software Download Windows 10
Reinstall The Keyboard Driver
Another thing you can do if the function keys are not working is to delete the hotkeys driver from your computer. The function keys don’t perform well if the driver is corrupt or not updated. So, delete the driver and install it again with the latest updates.
- Open the device manager by clicking on the windows+ X key.
- Search for a keyboard and extend the list.
- Choose the right keyboard and right click then select update driver.
Even after trying all the steps mentioned earlier, the f key is not working in windows 10. Then you should scan the issue and automatically repair it by running the windows troubleshooter.
- Go to Start and open settings, then click on Update and Security.
- Select Troubleshoot, search for the Keyboard option, and click run the troubleshoot on the right-side panel.
- In the same tab, search for the Hardware and Devices option, and click the run the troubleshoot on the right-side panel.
The BIOS Settings
Like the Keyboard driver, a missed update or error in the BIOS settings can lead to the “f key is not working in windows 10″ error. To fix it, open the BIOS settings and enable these functions.
- Restart the computer, and immediately click Esc when the screen turns on.
- Choose the BIOS setup.
- From the top bar, select the Advance tab, find and click on Function key behavior.
- Opt for the Function key as the primary choice. Save the changes, then finally reboot the computer.
Scan For Viruses
Ensure there are no viruses in your system. Since none of those mentioned above worked for you, it increases the chances that viruses will attack your system.
Reactivate HID Services
One of the reasons why f key is not working in windows 10 might be that your computer’s Human Interface device services have been deactivated. So you must activate it by going through these steps.
- Right-click on the start menu and open computer management.
- Click on services and applications and double-click on services.
- In the recently opened window, scroll down and right-click on Human Interface Devices.
- Select properties, locate Service status and ensure it’s set on the Standard option. If not, select Start, find Startup type and change it to Automatic.
- Save the changes by clicking apply Ok.
Synaptic Pointing Device Driver
The Synaptic Pointing Device Driver allows users to control their cursor using the touchpad. As a result, driver becomes corrupted, you might see the error that the f key is not working in windows 10. So it is better to uninstall it on windows 10.
- Open the device manager by clicking on the windows+ X key.
- Select Mice and other porting devices, then choose Synaptic Driver and Uninstall it.
- Reboot the computer, and now you can use your f keys.
This Blog: How to Fix Windows 10 Keyboard Not Working
How to fix function keys that are not working on the keyboard?
Firstly, ensure there is no dirt and grime on your keyboard, making it hard for you to use the keys efficiently. If any one key is not working, Like the f11 key not working, run a troubleshooter to fix any hardware faults if present.
Why are function keys incompatible with Windows 10?
A few common reasons for the function key being incompatible can be the keyboard or system drivers not being up to date or having some bug; Filter keys are enabled, malware in the keyboard, or hardware faults.
How do I make my keyboard's fn key work again?
Attempt unplugging and re-plugging your keyboard for a moment. If you have a Bluetooth keyboard take out its batteries for some time. If there is no change, connect your keyboard to see if the keys are working properly.
What should I do when my windows key fails to work?
Start your computer again as immediately as possible. If still not working, try one of these ways, run troubleshooting for the start menu, disable sticky keys, check if the windows keys are locked, update system drivers, or scan for viruses.
After reading this article, you will know all the potential causes of your function keys’ malfunction and can easily address the issue. From all the complex methods to fix your function key malfunction, we have compiled easy-to-follow fixes for your f keys. From unlocking the f keys to uninstalling the drivers, this article contains the nine 9 methods to fix the f key that is not working in Windows 10. You can also read about how to fix faulty hardware corrupted page in Windows 10 by clicking on the link. Wit these fixes, save both your time and make your work easy.
Mauro Huculak is a technical writer. His primary focus is to write comprehensive how-tos to help users get the most out of Windows 10 and its many related technologies. He has an IT background with professional certifications from Microsoft, Cisco, and CompTIA, and he’s a recognized member of the Microsoft MVP community.