Failed To Initialize Steam Error in PUBG: Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds or more famously known as PUBG has created a tide of popularity and almost everyone is talking about it.
If you are one of those gamers who have spent their hard-earned money and bought the PC version, and yet unable to unleash the world of entertainment and action you hoped to enjoy because of the game screen that says Failed to Initialize Steam, you need not worry.
This issue is not specific to you, and many users have faced the same, and it is simple to fix, the trivial solution being reinstalling steam as well as the Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds game.
4 Ways to fix Failed to Initialize Steam Error in PUBG
There are a number of reasons why the Steam Engine may have failed in the initialization process when you try to run the Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds game.
In this article, we will take a look at the most common reasons or scenarios with their solutions. Before you start, make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware along with the latest version of the operating system installed and the latest releases of game and steam engine installed. Also make sure you are not running any steam-powered games in the background while trying to launch Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds, as it may cause steam engine conflicts, and the Steam engine will not initialize.
Method #1 Verify the integrity of the game files
Sometimes, file management system activities or operating system services can make certain changes in files and folders associated with the PUBG game and may lead to Failed to Initialize Steam error.
You can manually check the integrity of the game files installed to verify if they are exactly as they should be as described by the game manufacturer and the steam distributors, without any corrupt of modified files.
To do that,
1. Open Steam using its desktop or the start menu icon.
2. Go to the Library tab, where you can see all the steam-powered games you have downloaded and installed on your current system.
3. Right click on Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds, and go to properties.
4. In the local tab, click on the option that says Verify integrity of the game files…
5. Depending on the game version, size, and your type of storage along with background activity, this process will take some time. It is recommended now to close any background apps or services not related to Steam that are utilizing the system resources like CPU use, RAM, or Storage. This will help in speeding up the process.
6. Once the check is complete, run Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds again and see if this solution fixed the issue Failed to Initialize Steam.
Method #2 Repair the Steam Client
The steam client itself can have some files corrupt, due to a variety of reasons which are not that important at the moment. As this is one of the probable reasons why the PUBG screen says Steam Initialization failed, let’s see what we can do to resolve this issue.
- Press the key combination Windows + R. The Run… dialogue box shall appear.
2. Type cmd in there, click on Run and open the command prompt.
3. In the command prompt, copy and paste “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe /repair” without the included quotes and press enter.
4. If the path to the SteamService.exe is different in your system, replace the path with the path of your SteamService.exe.
5. Let the repair be complete and after it is complete, restart your machine.
6. After the restart, try to open the steam app first, it may reconfigure itself or download some files for update or configuration. Log in if prompted so.
7. Open your game and see if this solved the Failed to Initialize Steam error.
Method #3 Run Steam As An Administrator
If the Steam engine does not have the permissions or enough privileges to access the files (most of the times the files are stored on the C drive which is a system drive), it will fail to initialize as it can’t read all the necessary files.
To overcome this issue, you can try running the Steam application as an administrator and try to see if that fixes your Failed to Initialize Steam problem.
1. Right click on the Steam icon on the Desktop, quick launch bar or from the Start menu and click on the run as administrator.
2. Alternatively, right-click on the Desktop icon of Steam and click on Properties. In the Compatibility tab, select the checkbox for Run this program as administrator option, apply and exit. Now Steam will run every time as an administrator with full administrator privileges.
3. Relaunch PUBG from steam by going into the library tab to see installed games and clicking on Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds and then clicking on the Play button from the Game’s page. See if the game launches properly without the Failed to Initialize Steam screen.
Check Out – How to Fix Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check
Method #4 Disable the Full-Screen Optimization in Windows
The full-screen optimization option in windows allows the game to scale and pan across the display to prevent any resolution mismatch issue or screen boxing. Although this is a very useful feature, it is known to have caused the Failed to Initialize Steam error. To resolve this,
1. Go to your Steam installation directory. In the case of 64-bit installation, it will be C:/Program Files/Steam. In the case of 32-bit installation, it will be C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam unless it was explicitly changed while installation. You can also find the installation directory by using the Search in the start menu or Explorer window.
2. Then navigate to the following directories consecutively inside one another: Steamapps, common, TslGames, Binaries, Win64.
3. You will find a file named TslGame or TslGame.exe. Right click on the executable Tslgame.exe file and go to Properties.
4. In the Compatibility tab, make sure that the option that says Disable Full Screen Optimization is checked, click apply and close the properties window.
5. Open the task manager using the key combination Ctrl + Alt + Del or right click on the taskbar and click on Task manager. The Task Manager window will show current running tasks with their resource usage at the current time.
Bookmark This: 5 Ways to Delete System Error Memory Dump Files
6. Kill the apps Steam and Tslgames by selecting their processes and clicking on End Task button. You can easily find the apps by sorting the tasks by name by clicking on the column header of the task names column, and as the tasks will now be sorted alphabetically, you can easily spot Steam and Tslgames.
7. Relaunch the Steam application and see if; this fixed the Failed To Initialize Steam Error in PUBG while Launching Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds.