Minecraft-a name almost everyone is familiar with in today’s era. It is the biggest award-winning video game. Users access a whole new virtual world where players have to create their world with resources acquired by competing against other players. Players can modify the game and access a massive number of resources. With the increase in its fanbase, Minecraft is not only the most purchased video game, but it also has its merchandise. Starting from cushions, t-shirts, blankets, and many more. It also has the biggest award-winning video game. Minecraft has a lot of problems that users have to face. One such issue is the jinput error. Also Known as failed to download file the file contents differ from what was expected.
See also: 7 Ways to Fix Minecraft LAN Not Working
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons for Minecraft Failed to Download the File
- 2 Solutions Minecraft Failed to Download the File Contents Differently from What was Expected
- 3 Conclusion
Reasons for Minecraft Failed to Download the File
There may be some particular reasons why this error might occur. They are:
- Minecraft version is out of date
- The mods may be corrupt
- The firewall may block certain features
- Minecraft is corrupt when installing
Solutions Minecraft Failed to Download the File Contents Differently from What was Expected
We have listed 8 ways to fix this issue. Read on!
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
When the app is outdated, it may give rise to such issues. Hence, ensure that the app is up to date.
- Open Minecraft and click on the options
- An option will appear as a force update. Perform force updates to ensure whether they failed to download the file. The file contents differ from what was expected is resolved
Setting java to open .jar extension
When .Jar files aren’t accessed with the default program like Java, failed to download file the file contents differ from what was expected. It happens as there is a lack of compatibility between the files.
- Expand the windows icon and choose Run
- In the dialog box type the following : %appdata%\.minecraft\assets\indexes\
- From the given files options, choose the one with .Jar/.Java extension. Right-lick on it and choose Properties
- Under how do you want to open .jar files, choose the option OpenJDK Platform binary
- Click on OK to complete the process.
- See if the issue persists.
Sometimes the activated firewall might block specific actions of specific programs. In that case, disabling the antivirus might help.
- In the search bar type control panel.
- After the control panel opens, choose windows firewall
- Select the option to switch on/off the firewall
- Some boxes will appear with different options. Select the option to turn the windows firewall off
- To secure the changes, click on OK
This process might expose your laptop/computer to threat.
Downloading the file through VPN
A problem in the Minecraft server that you use may be a reason for the download file issue. It is better to try using a different server using a VPN.
If you have a VPN application installed, then well and good; if not, install one. Next, connect to a different server and open Minecraft to check if the ‘failed to download file the file contents differ from what was expected’ is solved.
Opening Minecraft using vanilla launcher
If the mods experience some glitch, it is always better to open the game using a vanilla launcher rather than a non-vanilla launcher.
- If using a non-vanilla launcher, close it.
- Next, open Minecraft using the Vanilla launcher and start the game.
- Keep using vanilla launcher until the create game screen appears. Once visible, close the vanilla launcher
- Next, open the initial launcher that was in use
Check if the failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected is solved.
Removing corrupted mods
The issue may also be raised due to some corrupt mods. In such a scenario, it is better to remove them.
- Exit from the Minecraft launcher as well as the system tray
- Next, expand the windows icon and choose Run
- The dialog box opens. Type the following: %appdata%
- To open the mods folder, locate. Minecraft directory
- Before removing the mods folder, copy them to some other location
- Try performing the download and check if the issue is solved
- Exit the app
- Next, copy one mod at a time and paste in the mods folder and again run the Minecraft launcher
- If it works perfectly, copy each mod and repeat the above step till the corrupt one is found out
- If you discover the corrupted od, try updating it or contact the developer
Manually downloading the file
You can even manually update the Minecraft directory
- Start by copying the URL of the error message
- Now open the web browser you use and paste it into the address bar
- Downloading is complete. Remember to copy it
- Next, right-click on the windows icon and choose file explorer
- Go to the address of the error message and remove the file name (situated at the end of the address)
- Delete the file. Next, type the address as saved earlier
- Next, open the Minecraft launcher
Reinstalling the Minecraft Launcher
Another reason the error might occur is that the application is corrupt when installing.
- Open Run by expanding the window icon
- Type this: %appdata%
- Open the. Minecraft directory. Here, search for the folder named saves. Copy it to some location
- Exit the folder.
- Next, go-to apps and features from settings.
- Choose Minecraft and right-click on it. Select uninstall.
- Restart the PC and delete the folders related to Minecraft.
- Next, reinstall Minecraft
We hope this article has helped you solve the ‘failed to download file the file contents differ from what was expected’
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂