The Failed to play test tone error arises to notify that there is a problem between Windows and the audio device you are using. In case you have no sound, or if you try to see if your sound device is working, it displays an error message.
The sound is one of the essential things when you use a computer. This problem affects many versions of Windows. Some say it is a hardware issue, but it is probably not. There are many ways to solve this issue, which is given below. Please read on.
7 Ways to Fix Failed To Play Test Tone Error
Method 1: Restart Windows Audio
It is one of the fastest possible solutions. However, some users report that this works temporarily. The issue manifests itself after a while.
1. At First, Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously. It will open the Run window. In the Open box, type “services.msc” Press Enter or click OK.
2. The Services window will open. From the list of services, find Windows Audio service. Then restart this service by pressing the Restart button given in the top toolbar. Close the Services window.
Finally, by now you should have your sound back. However, if you’re still seeing the error of Laptop Sound Not Working then you can follow the next methods.
Method 2: Run sfc/scannow From An Elevated Command Prompt
Windows 10 failed to play test tone error is sometimes caused due to many corrupted Windows files in the system. To check and repair these files, follow these steps:
1. At First, Press Windows Key+ X simultaneously. Now, just choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
2. Afterward, open Start menu by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. Then type cmd. After that Right-click on the result, that shows. Then select Run as Administrator. It will open an Elevated Command Prompt.
3. Then in this command prompt window, type “sfc/scannow“. Then press Enter after that. It will ask you to run as administrator if you are not running as one.
4. Afterward, wait for the scan to be complete. Do not interrupt it. Next reboot your device once scanning is done. Finally, check if the error exists.
Method 3: Disable All The Audio Enhancements
Here is another that can help you to solve the failed to play test tone error. If the previous methods did not work, just give a try to this solution.
1. At first, Right-click on the Speaker icon & choose Sounds.
2. Then select your speakers by clicking on them. Click on the Properties button.
3. Afterward, go to the Enhancements tab. Choose disable all enhancements. Click on Apply. Then OK to save your settings. After this, everything should be back to normal.
Don’t miss out –
Method 4: Change The Sample Rate
Changing the sample rate can also help in fixing the problem. Follow these steps to do it:
1. At first, Right click on the Speaker icon at the bottom right corner of your desktop. From the menu that pops up, select Playback devices.
2. When the Playback tab opens, select your sound card. Click on Properties.
3. Then click on the Advanced tab. You can see that the default sample rate is given as 16 bit, 44100 Hz. You can now change it to any other sample rates, like 16 bit, 48000 Hz. Click on the Apply button.
4. If the sample rate is not the default one, click on Restore Defaults. Now see if your system still gives the failed to play test tone error.
You may also like –
Method 5: Reinstall Audio Drivers
Corrupted drivers can also cause this problem. You might want to reinstall the drivers. Follow these steps to perform so:
1. At First, Go to Device Manager.
2. When the device manager window opens, expand the category labeled as Sound, video and game controllers. Within this category, it will show the audio device name. Right click on it and then click Uninstall.
3. After you complete uninstalling, restart your PC. Windows will install the generic audio driver on its own. Check if failed to play test tone error occurs anymore. This method is also great if you wish to Fix No Audio Output Device is Installed or Microphone Not Working Error.
Method 6: Install The High Definition Audio Device Driver
1. First, open the Device Manager. Press the Windows key on your keyboard. Type in Device Manager. Open what comes as a result or simply type “Devmgmt.msc” in the Run box.
2. Within the device manager window, expand the Sound, video and game controllers category. From there, select your current audio driver.
3. From the Action tab, select Update Driver Software.
4. Now, just click on Browse my computer for driver software. Then choose Let me pick from a list of drivers from my computer.
5. When the list unfolds, select the High Definition Audio Device driver. Then click on Next. If you get a User Account Control prompt, choose Yes. The wizard will finish and then reboot your device.
Resolve This Too: Ways to Fix Reboot and Select Proper Boot
6. If you don’t have the driver on your system, go to the manufacturer’s site. Download the latest version.
Also, read –
Method 7: Add The Local Service In The Local Users And Groups
1. At First, press Windows Key+R.
2. Now type “compmgmt.msc” in the Run box to open Computer Management.
3. After that expand System Tools then Local Users and Groups & choose Groups.
4. After that, a list will be shown in the middle of the window. Right click on Administrators in this list. From the drop-down menu, select Add to group.
5. Click Add, then Advanced, & then click Find Now. Double click on Local Service and then click OK. In the list that shows, you will see NT Authority\Local Service. Click OK.
6. Now close the Computer Management window. Reboot your system. See if failed to play test tone error remains.
Don’t forget to check –
Having no sound in a computer is indeed a lot to deal with. But the above-given number of fixes will possibly help you out of this. Follow the methods, and your problem should be solved.
- 1 7 Ways to Fix Failed To Play Test Tone Error
- 1.1 Method 1: Restart Windows Audio
- 1.2 Method 2: Run sfc/scannow From An Elevated Command Prompt
- 1.3 Method 3: Disable All The Audio Enhancements
- 1.4 Method 4: Change The Sample Rate
- 1.5 Method 5: Reinstall Audio Drivers
- 1.6 Method 6: Install The High Definition Audio Device Driver
- 1.7 Method 7: Add The Local Service In The Local Users And Groups
- 2 Conclusion