Fallout 4 is a very popular action roleplay-based game launched by Bethesda Game Studios. Almost every gamer has come across the frustrating Fallout 4 black screen on startup. It freezes on a black screen when you start the game or crashes on startup and the loading cursor is seen. If your Fallout 4 screen goes black during startup or even during the game, it can be due to outdated or corrupted drivers, corrupted files, mods causing conflict, or other software issues.
In order to solve the error entirely so that it never bothers you again, check for updates, run scans or find conflicting files and delete them. This guide mentioned below will help you follow the steps to eradicate the error.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix Fallout 4 Black Screen on Startup Issue?
- 1.1 Confirm the Integrity of the Game Files
- 1.2 Ensure Steam and Fallout 4 are Located on the Same Drive
- 1.3 Run in Compatible Mode
- 1.4 Lower Graphics Settings in the Game
- 1.5 Update Graphics Driver
- 1.6 Update Windows 10 Fallout 4 application
- 1.7 Uninstall Antivirus
- 1.8 Run SFC scan
- 1.9 Remove Mods
- 1.10 Restart PC
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
How to Fix Fallout 4 Black Screen on Startup Issue?
Before going further, make sure all the physical connections are stable, and the device is operating correctly. Fallout 4 black screen can result from corrupted game files, incompatible setup, different settings, or antivirus issues.
See also: 4 Ways To Fix HP Laptop Black Screen
To resolve the error Fallout 4 black screen on startup,
Confirm the Integrity of the Game Files
Sometimes the missing or corrupted game files can cause the application to crash. To check if that’s the case,
- Open your “steam client,” go to “library,” and find Fallout 4.
- Under “properties” and look for the “local files” section
- Press the “verify integrity of game files” option.
This will check if any of your installed files are missing or corrupted. After this, restart your PC and check if the issue is gone.
Ensure Steam and Fallout 4 are Located on the Same Drive
If Steam and Fallout 4 are installed on different drives, you will encounter the error of black screen Fallout 4. To remove this, you need to remove the game and reinstall it on the same drive.
Check for the error fallout 4 black screen on startup; if it persists, try troubleshooting methods immediately.
Run in Compatible Mode
If you use Microsoft, you are pretty familiar with the process of running an application in safe mode if it creates problems. To turn this mode on,
- Search for “Fallout 4 shortcut” and right-click it on your system.
- Open “Properties” and look for the “compatibility” tab.
- Check the box for “run this program in compatibility mode.” Click on “ok” and “apply.”
- If a window pops up, press “run the compatibility troubleshooter” and click on “yes.”
By doing so, Windows will automatically find the best-suited mode for the game.
Lower Graphics Settings in the Game
If the graphics card isn’t compatible with the high graphics configurations of the game, the error will occur. To change this,
- Open “steam” and look for “Fallout 4.”
- Go to “Options” on the right side.
- Enable the “Windowed Mode” and “Borderless options” in the window that pops up.
- Press the “Advanced” option
- “Lower the settings” as per your requirement
- Click “OK”, and press apply to execute the changes.
Now restart your game to check for the Fallout 4 black screen on startup.
Update Graphics Driver
If your game misbehaves, like Fallout 4 black screen then closes, then one of the most common reasons for the error can be outdated drivers. To ensure updated drivers,
- Press the Windows key or if it doesn’t work, go to the start menu and find the “device manager.”
- Find “display drivers” and expand the option by right-clicking
- In the list, look for “update drivers”
- Click on “search automatically for drivers” and click on ok.
This will ensure your graphic drivers are the latest ones.
Update Windows 10 Fallout 4 application
If your application is not updated to the latest version, then the issue can be persistent. To update the app, go to the official site and download it from there.
Sometimes, third-party antivirus like Avast on your system can interfere with your application. To uninstall these,
- From the start menu, or if it doesn’t work, press the Windows key and open the “control panel.”
- Change the view by to “category” and go to “programs”
- Look for the program that you wish to uninstall
- Uninstall it under “uninstall a program.”
Now reboot your pc and relaunch Fallout 4 to check for the error fallout 4 black screen on the startup
Run SFC scan
System file checker or SFC is an in-built file checker that gets hold of all corrupted files in your system. To run this,
- In the “start” menu, enter “cmd” in the dialog box.
- Right-click on it and press “run the command prompt as administrator”.
- Now type “sfc/scannow” and let it run.
Restart your system once the process is done.
Note- the process is very long, and it is recommended not to interrupt it.
Any installed custom mods can hinder the system process too. To remove these,
- Open Fallout 4 and go to “mods”
- In the “library”, look for the mod you want to remove
- Choose the mod and “disable” it
- If this doesn’t work, then uninstall it by clicking on “delete.”
This would resolve the Fallout 4 black screen error on startup caused by the mods.
Sometimes the solution to the problem Fallout 4 black screen pc is straightforward. The quick solution can be to restart your pc with proper boot devices, and it is recommended to start with this step only.
How do I resolve Fallout 4 not working on my Windows 10?
The easiest way is to change the compatibility mode. To do so, Open Fallout 4 and navigate to Properties. Open the Compatibility tab Tap on Run this program in compatibility mode Click OK, then relaunch Fallout 4.
How to Turn Off custom mods in Fallout 4?
Any installed custom mods can hinder the system process too. To remove these, Open Fallout 4 and go to mods. In the library, look for the mod you want to remove Choose the mod and disable it If this doesn’t work, then uninstall it by clicking on delete.
We hope with assistance from this guide, you were able to find and resolve the Fallout 4 black screen issue on startup. If the problem persists, you may uninstall the game and reinstall it from your steam client. Now that Fallout 4 is launching again without any issues, you can happily get back to making those action fights. Happy gaming!
As a technology news reporter based in India with diverse knowledge of covering stories for Microsoft products, my job at ValidEdge is to bring the latest fixes of Windows Errors and even of other errors in a precise and unbiased way.
My experience includes managing technology websites, writing/editing articles, and delivering well-researched how-to guides in a timely manner.