In an era where anything is possible with the internet, browsers are especially useful to search for answers to an endless number of questions. Google Chrome has emerged as one of the most efficient tools in this field. Along with its browsing features, it offers several add-ons and extensions to make our work much easier, faster, and safe. Chrome has become everyone’s first choice for all matters. Be it related to work or to satisfy their curiosities. Despite its popularity, Chrome comes with some errors that disappoint its users. Some of them include virus attacks, crashes, and an issue many users are beginning to face is the ‘Google Chrome opening new tabs by itself’ error.
Table of Contents
- 1 When Does Google Chrome Opening New Tabs By Itself Arise?
- 2 Solutions To Stop New Tabs From Opening In Chrome
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
When Does Google Chrome Opening New Tabs By Itself Arise?
The error might arise in the following situation:
- While trying to type something in Chrome
- A tab opening with every click
- Unwanted sites open automatically
- A new tab pops up with ads
- It may also happen due to some extensions
Solutions To Stop New Tabs From Opening In Chrome
If you face this issue as a user and are looking for easy and simple solutions, you have reached the right place. This guide will give you some of the best solutions to fix this issue.
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
The easiest and common way is to reinstall Chrome. Some corrupted files may have come with the original file during the initial installation. Try uninstalling Chrome and also make sure to remove the leftover files and registry that can also trigger this issue. Reinstall Chrome and check if the error is solved.
Adjusting The Search Setting
Another simple method to fix google chrome opening new tabs by itself is to adjust your search settings.
- Search for anything you wish on Chrome.
- After the results arrive, click on the settings bar on the top.
- From the given list, choose search settings.
- Here scroll down to where results open; a check box will be there named open for each selected result in a new browser window.
- Uncheck the box and click on save
- Now results will be opened in the same tab.
Check For Viruses That May Have Entered From Chrome
While browsing, we are redirected to several unwanted pages. These pages might have viruses that get installed in our system automatically and cause these types of errors.
- Go to the settings tab in Chrome
- Click on the advanced option
- Scroll down to the ‘Reset and Clean Up’ section. Select the ‘Clean Up Computer’ option.
- Next, click ‘Find’ and follow the instruction that is given.
Resetting Chrome To Default
- Go to the settings tab of ChromeChrome
- Go to the advanced option.
- Here, find the ‘Reset and Clean Up’ option.
- Next, click on Reset settings.
- To confirm the process, click on reset.
Disabling Background Apps
Several apps run in the background while using Chrome. These may also cause Chrome to keep opening new tabs. To disable them, follow these steps:
- Go to Chrome and click on Menu.
- Then open settings.
- Under settings, go to ‘System Section’ and disable the ‘Continue running background apps when google chrome is closed’ option.
Background appsNow the background apps get disabled and it will fix Google Chrome opening new tabs by itself.
Removing PUP, Malware, Pop-ups And Ads From Chrome
- Go to the control pane to check for unwanted applications in your computer/laptop.
- If they are present, it is always better to uninstall them.
- You can also check for the extensions installed from here: chrome://extensions/
- Check for any suspicious extensions. If there is one, remove it.
Chrome cleanupIf you did not find any suspicious elements, try using the Chrome Cleanup Tool. It performs a deeper check to detect any malware or suspicious application present in the PC. Download the Chrome Cleanup Tool from its website. Install the application and scan your PC to remove any malware present. It will help in fixing the error.
Trying A Different Browser
If google chrome is still malfunctioning, using a different browser like Firefox or Opera might help.
Here are a few FAQ’s regarding google chrome opening new tabs by itself.
Why Are Random Tabs Opening In Chrome?
The Cookies of various websites can contain some harmful scripts that can cause the automatic opening of tabs. In order to fix this, go to settings then more tools.
Next, go to clear browsing data. To automatically open the ‘Clear browsing data’ window, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Del keys together.
How Do I Stop New Tabs From Opening?
Firstly, open the browser, select the wrench icon and then choose options. Next, select the “under the hood” tab and then go to “content settings.”
Click on the “pop-up” tab, select “do not allow sites to show pop-ups,” and then close the window.
How To Stop Google Chrome From Constantly Popping Up?
- Click on Settings in the Chrome menu
- Type “pop” in the search bar
- Click site settings from the given list
- Scroll down and click on pop-ups and redirects
- Toggle the pop-ups and redirection option to Blocked, or delete exceptions
How Do I Get Rid Of The Redirect Virus In Chrome?
In Google Chrome, click the three vertical dots near the top right corner, then choose More tools. Next, click on Extensions. Get rid of the extension you want to by clicking remove below it.
How Do I Find A Browser Hijacker?
Some signs that indicate a browser is hijacked are:
- Searches that are redirected to different websites
- Multiple pop-up advertisement alerts
- Slow-loading web pages
- The user does not install multiple toolbars on a web browser.
If the question “how to stop new tabs from opening in chrome” crosses your mind again, you know where to find a solution.Anyone can follow these simple and easy solutions without any technical knowledge. We hope that this quick guide on google chrome opening new tabs by itself has helped you fix the error.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂