Some things could be improved in GTA V despite its popularity. The error message “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working on Steam” may appear when starting the application or during updates. But every problem has a fix.
Grand Theft Auto V Launcher is experiencing issues on Steam, causing some gamers to encounter issues. To resolve this, update sound and graphics drivers, disable Steam beta, and run the program in administration mode. Uninstall and install Social Club, run the game in compatibility mode, verify game file integrity, try using an older DirectX version, and reinstall graphics card drivers.
Rockstar Games created Grand Theft Auto V, usually known as GTA V, an intense action video game. It is a relatively well-known game among gamers. Let’s explore the actions that can be made to resolve a GTA V launcher crash.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Has The GTA V Launcher Stopped Functioning?
- 2 Fixes for the GTA V Launcher stopped working
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Why Has The GTA V Launcher Stopped Functioning?
The Grand Theft Auto Launcher has stopped working error could originate for the following reasons:
- A faulty installation of the Social Club application could bring on this error.
- GTA V’s linked game files being corrupted or missing is another potential cause.
- Sound and graphics drivers that are out of current may cause this problem.
- Using Steam beta client can occasionally cause this problem as well.
Fixes for the GTA V Launcher stopped working
Various ways are using which the launcher crash can be fixed.
Install the Social Club program again
In a few cases, the Social Club application’s corrupted installation may cause the Grand Theft Auto V Launcher to stop working on the Steam issue. Try reinstalling the Social Club program to see if the problem has been fixed. You will need to remove the application first to do that. Also, If you have an Xbox app party chat error, fix it.
- Launch the Settings app using the Windows + I hotkey and navigate to the Apps > Apps & Features area.
- Scroll down the listing to the Rockstar Games Social Club software. To uninstall it, pick it and hit the Uninstall option.
- Afterward, you must ensure that its installation leaves no trace or leftovers. For the non-Steam installation, you can directly search again for the Social Club file at the following locations:
- C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\ Rockstar Games
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games
- C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games
Download the most recent edition of the Social Club program from the online webpage after you have finished erasing the files. Download it on your Desktop after that. Check to see whether you can now correctly launch and utilize GTA V.
Run in administrator mode
Running as administrator is the correct procedure when Grand Theft Auto 5 stops working. This is because some game files on your computer can be restricted and unable to function properly. This simple fix has helped many customers who were having problems with GTA 5 not launching.
- Completely turn off Steam, Rockstar Launcher, and GTA. Click Steam and select run as admin.
- Fire up Rockstar Launcher in administrator mode. To check, restart GTA V in Steam.
Update your sound and graphics drivers
Updating your graphics and other drivers is crucial to achieving the best gaming performance. It is, therefore, time to upgrade your sound and graphics drivers.
Updating your drivers through the Additional Upgrades function under Settings > Windows Update is simple. In addition, you can acquire the most recent driver versions by going to the manufacturer of the device’s official website. Or, to update your drivers automatically, use a free driver updater.
Relaunch GTA V after updating your drivers to see if the issue has been resolved.
Examine the game files’ integrity
You could try to verify and fix the damaged or missing game files if you bought and installed GTA V through Steam. Damaged or missing game files connected to the game installation could cause GTA V to stop working on PC errors.
A convenient service offered by Steam instantly detects and fixes damaged game files on their server. You can strive to perceive if it can assist you in solving the issue.
- Start the Steam client first, then select the Library option. Find and choose the GTA V game from the list of games.
- Next, right-click the game and select Properties from the menu bar. Then choose the Regional Contents tab and choose the option to validate the game files’ authenticity.
- Try relaunching GTA V after completing the verification process; Find and choose GTA V game from the list of games.
Run the game on an older DirectX version
A recent update changed the DirectX version the game uses, or your PC needs to be set up to run it. Even in-game settings can be used to adjust this setting, but the issue is that you can’t start the game.
Fortunately, following the instructions below, you can modify a preference file on your computer and alter a specific line!
- On your PC, launch File Explorer and select Documents by selecting the link in the left navigation bar.
- Double-click on the Rockstar Games folder to open it after finding it. Additionally, discover a file called “settings.xml” inside the GTA V folder by opening it. Using the right button on your mouse, select the File and choose Open with >> Notepad from the menu bar to modify it.
- Hit Ctrl + F or choose to modify in the menu bar and pick the Find button from the options list to bring up the search bar.
- In the search box, enter “DX Version value,” then modify the number from 2 to 1. To save the changes, press the Ctrl + S keyboard shortcut or choose File>> Save before closing Notepad.
If the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working on Steam” problem still appears after completing these steps, try running the game again. In that case, try typing 1.
Turn off the Steam beta
You have access to the newest game updates before regular users when you participate in the Steam Beta program. It is unstable, though, and could result in game crashes. If you choose to participate in the Steam beta program, try choosing not to and see if the GTA 5 launcher still functions properly. If you have issues regarding Steam, check this out to solve it.
- Launch Steam first, then select the Steam option in the top menu bar. Go to the Account tab by clicking the Settings option.
- A panel on the right will allow the chance to join the Beta group. Just press the Change button. Then select Beta participation from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Next, choose “NONE – Opt-out of all beta programs” from the list of options displayed. After that, click OK to exit the Settings box.
What causes GTA 5 to crash on Steam?
Normalize the graphics settings. While GTA V's high graphics settings can enhance performance, they can also cause problems like frequent crashes. You can make the graphics settings normal here.
Has GTA been taken off Steam?
The Midnight Club temporarily relisted due to the unintentional removal of several Rockstar Games games from Steam.
Is GTA 5 compatible with Steam?
In GTA V, users may explore the renowned realms of Los Santos and Blaine County in visuals as high as 4K or higher. They also can engage in the action at sixty frames per second.
Why won't my games on Steam open?
The uncompressed gaming files are commonly to blame when a video game doesn't launch. If you have software that runs interferes with Steam, games cannot launch.
Although GTA V is a very popular game, some things need improvement. Several users have reported that Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working on Steam. Therefore, we spoke about several approaches to solving this issue. We also investigated the reasons behind the GTA V launcher crash.
Aloukik Rathore is a Delhi-based entrepreneur, musician, writer, and tech nerd. He has been blogging for about 7 years now.