Whether you work or play, you would agree that using a dual monitor setup is way more convenient than your usual laptop screen. This setup lets you experience your laptop’s features and apps on a bigger screen, from watching movies while working to streaming your favorite game. If your second monitor stops working or you don’t have one you can still achieve this setup by simply using an HDTV and an HDMI cable. If you do the latter, you may encounter the annoying issue of the screen size not fitting or the display being half on your TV screen. This guide will answer the frustrating question of How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10?
So, without further ado, let’s look into the various methods that will help us fit our screen to TV in Windows 10.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons for Screen Size not Fitting
- 2 Guide on How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Reasons for Screen Size not Fitting
As delightful as it is to use the dual setup, if your screen suddenly goes black or is cut in the TV screen, that means you have the issue of the screen not fitting monitor HDMI. This can happen for many reasons like over scaling, resolutions being different, outdated drivers, but one of the primary reasons is overscanning. Overscaning was done in TVs in older times to reduce the issue of un-standardized screen size, making it challenging to create serials that fit the respective measures.
Although people used this process long back, it still exists in TVs today. Has the infamous overscan got you wondering How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10?
Don’t worry! Let’s learn how to get full screen on TV from laptop on Windows 10!
Guide on How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10.
For using HDMI on Windows 10 without any issues, we will remove the reasons behind the same. There are different methods of doing this on different devices. This handbook will help you resolve the same no matter the device you are using.
Using Windows Settings
If you are using Windows 10, then some of the ways to fit your screen to your TV are by
Changing Windows 10 Resolution
If you’ve got a blurry or pixelated screen could be due to the resolution of your Windows. To change this,
- Go to “Start,” open “Settings,” and look for “System.”
- In the “Display” menu, open “Resolution” and choose the “Recommended” one (mostly the highest one)
- In the blue box pop up, click on “Keep changes” and exit.
By doing this, you will change your screen resolution, and the display of text and images would now be appropriate as per the size.
Changing TV Resolution
If your Windows resolution is already on the recommended one, the issue might be with your TV’s resolution. To fix this,
- Locate the “Nvidia control panel” by right-clicking on your screen and choosing it.
- Under the “Display” head, go to “Adjust desktop size and position”
- Click on the “Second monitor” in the settings, make sure it’s your TV.
- Under the “Scaling tab,” choose the “aspect ratio.”
- Go to the “Size” tab and “Enable desktop resizing’
- When you click on “Resize,” it will allow you to drag and adjust the size on your own.
This might change your Windows resolution again but would get rid of the problem.
Note– this method is specific to NVidia and Intel users.
How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10? If the issue is not with the resolution, your TV may be scaling less or more of your Windows screen. To avoid this from happening,
- Right-click on your desktop and go to “Display” settings
- Go to the ‘Scale and layout’ section and try changing it to 100% or 200%, whichever is available
- if the issue persists, click on the “Advanced scaling” options
- Enter a custom scale from 100% to 500% by checking what works for you.
- Apply the changes and exit.
By this method, you can easily set the scale of your Windows based on your TV screen.
Adjusting Refresh Rate
Sometimes, the issue occurs because your refresh rate is too high or low for your TV screen to read. To change this,
- Right-click on your screen and open “Display” settings
- Scroll down and find “Display adapter properties” to open it.
- Click on the “Monitor” option in the window that pops up.
- Choose the optimal refresh rate (60 Hz generally) for you and click on OK.
By doing this, you can adjust the rate at which your TV responds to the respective changes you do on your laptop.
If the previous methods don’t work for you, it could indicate that your display drivers are outdated. To update the same,
- Go to the “Start” button and find the “Device manager.”
- Double click on “Display adapters” and open the function list by right-clicking.
- Go to “Update driver” and choose “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
After updating, your screen issue will be fixed.
These were some simple methods that answer your query of How to Adjust HDMI Screen Size on TV from Windows 10?
Using TV Settings
Alternatively, if you want, you can change your TV settings to suit your laptop. However, this procedure of how to fit laptop screen to TV depends on your TV brand and its guide. In all, you are looking to disable the “Overscan” option. This may be available in the “Picture” settings or the “Display” option on your TV. Refer to your TV manual for the same.
How to make laptop full screen on TV on a Mac?
If you use a Mac or an Apple TV, you can easily look in to the Apple support about changing the overscan or underscan settings in the display option to suit your preferences.
How do I restore my laptop screen to its standard size?
To change your display settings back to normal, go to display settings and change the resolution back to its initial value.
How do I fix my screen when it displays only half?
Open the display and select customize option. Go to screen settings, scroll the resolution bar to the fullest, and click on ok.
We hope these methods mentioned above will help you fix the problem of how to fit screen to TV on Windows 10. Now that you have fixed the annoying black or blurry screen enjoy your dual monitor setup while getting back to binge-watching your movies on a bigger screen or even jamming to YouTube hits while you work.
You can always find me playing the piano or playing FIFA when I’m not binge-watching TV Series with pizzas. Fountainhead of TechWhoop.
Life motto: The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.