We all love playing video games or online games on our PC. Final Fantasy XIV, or FFXIV, is a renowned online role-playing game developed by Square Enix. FFXIV on PC faces a lot of issues regarding its performance. A standard error reported by the users is the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error. When this problem arises, you get a message, “A fatal DirectX error has occurred on ffxiv.”
Cause of Many system and program errors are antiquated graphics card drivers, so updating them may resolve the FFXIV fatal DirectX error. To check if your graphics card driver needs updating, use a third-party tool such as Outbyte Driver Updater since this is the quickest way to get this task done.
The FFXIV catastrophic DirectX issue has been stopping the game from running. The issue has been around for a long and can happen for several reasons. The post focuses on some of the top FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error fixes that can immediately resolve the problem.
Solutions For Ffxiv Fatal Directx Error
These are some ways in which ffxiv a fatal directx error can be fixed.
Update Graphics Card Drivers
When the graphics card drivers get faulty or are of older versions, it may result in DirectX errors. Updating the drivers may help in resolving ffxiv fatal DirectX errors.
- In the start menu, select device manager from the given list
- Press Windows + R key to open a run dialog box, write “devmgmt.msc,” and press OK
- Next, from the list that appears, select Display Adapters and then right-click on it, then uninstall it
- Follow the following steps that occur to confirm the update
- Look for the card on the manufacturer’s website and follow the instructions.
- Save the file on your PC and run the installation file
- Restart the PC to complete the process.
Running The Game In A Borderless Window
Editing the game file configuration might help resolve the ffxiv fatal DirectX error.
- Go to File Explorer and locate Documents.
- You’ll find a file named “FINAL FANTASY XIV.” Open it.
- Here, you’ll find another file named “FFXIV.cfg.” Open the file with Notepad to edit it. Click on the Edit option. Next, open the search box from the Find option.
- In the search box, write ScreenMode” and convert the number to 2. Save the made alterations by pressing Ctrl + s keys together.
- Next, rerun the application and check whether the error occurs.
- You can switch to full-screen mode by pressing the Alt + Enter key.
Turning Off SLI
SLI supports graphics cards and is very helpful while playing games. But some applications don’t support this feature and thus result in numerous errors. Therefore, turning the SLI off might help resolve ffxiv, a fatal DirectX error.
- Right-click on the screen of your monitor and choose NVIDIA Control Panel. You may also select it from the control panel
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, go to the 3D settings menu and select the Set SLI configuration option
- After completing the above step, enable the SLI technology option and select Apply.
Restart FFXIV to see if ffxiv fatal DirectX error is solved.
Turning Off CrossFire For AMD GPUs
- Right-click on the screen and choose AMD Radeon Settings
- After AM Radeon Settings open, choose the Gaming Tab from the control panel
- Next, select Global Settings
- Here, turn off AMD CrossFire
Check whether the problem is solved.
Despite running the game on Directx 11, adding DirectX9 might help solve ffxiv fatal DirectX error.
- Right-click on the shortcut of Final Fantasy XIV and choose the properties
- Next, a window opens. Choose the Shortcut tab
- Here, at the end of the target path type -dx9
- The target path will appear like C:/Program Files/FFXIV/FFXIV.exe
- Now click on Apply
- Select OK to complete the process
Why does the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error occur in the first place?
When playing Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV), an issue known as the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error occurs. To begin, this problem is due to DirectX, a set of Windows APIs for multimedia and gaming. Lastly, incompatible hardware, conflicting software, or out-of-date DirectX drivers are all possible causes of this error.
Does DirectX 12 Work With FFXIV?
FFXIV is compatible with DirectX 11 but not with DirectX 12.
How Do I Reinstall FFXIV?
First, back up and save the UI settings by opening the launcher. Create a manual backup of %USERPROFILE%DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV to avoid any problems occurring later. Uninstall FFXIV and then Install FFXIV
How can I address the Fatal DirectX Error in FFXIV?
Install DirectX: To ensure that you have the most recent drivers, visit the official Microsoft DirectX website and download the most current version of DirectX. Use compatibility mode to play FFXIV: Select an older version of Windows by right-clicking on the FFXIV executable file, going to Properties, going to the Compatibility tab, and checking the box next to ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for.’
I've tried the fixes that have been suggested, but the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error is still there. What ought I to do?
After attempting the solutions mentioned above, if the error persists, you may need to conduct more in-depth troubleshooting first, try reinstalling DirectX and completely reinstalling your graphics card drivers. Further, try checking for Windows updates or seeking assistance from the official FFXIV support forums or technical support team
Does FFXIV Support DLSS?
No FFXIV does not support DLSS or FSR, but it does support Crossfire and SLI
How Do I Repair My FFXIV Game?
While playing the game, players can take their equipment in FFXIV to NCPs with ‘Mender’ in their name. These Menders automatically repair any or all types of gear for a reasonable price. You can locate Menders on the Map by looking for a hammer icon.
Do I need to take any precautions before attempting these fixes?
To begin, restore points before attempting any fixes. Lastly, When updating drivers or changing compatibility settings, follow the instructions provided by the software or hardware manufacturers.
Could a hardware issue cause the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error?
The Fatal DirectX Error in FFXIV is typically the result of software-related issues. Moreover, it could also indicate a hardware issue if the error persists after excluding all software-related causes. Further, it may be worthwhile to investigate any potential problems with your computer's hardware, such as the graphics card or RAM. For additional assistance, think about consulting a professional or contacting the hardware manufacturer.
The DirectX error can be very irritating while trying to launch the game. Next time you face the final Fantasy 14 fatal DirectX error, we hope you can find a way to rectify the problem using the methods mentioned above.
Gravit Sinha: Founder of ValidEdge, a problem-solving website, driven by his lifelong passion for fixing issues.