We all love playing video games or online games on our PC. Final Fantasy XIV, or FFXIV, is a renowned online role-playing game developed by Square Enix. FFXIV on PC faces a lot of issues regarding its performance. A standard error reported by the users is the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error. When this problem arises, you get a message, “A fatal DirectX error has occurred on ffxiv.”
The most common cause of ff14 fatal DirectX error is trying to play the game while multitasking, which results in the FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error. It is incompatible with many graphic cards and configurations, resulting in such errors. The ffxiv dx11 error might also arise while using the SLI technology. Fix this error by Running the Game in Borderless Window and Enter Fullscreen, Updating or Roll Back Your Graphics Card Drivers, disabling SLI, and Running the Game Using DirectX 9.
The FFXIV catastrophic DirectX issue has been stopping the game from running. The issue has been around for a long and can happen for several reasons. The post focuses on some of the top FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error fixes that can immediately resolve the problem.
See Also: 3 Methods to Fix FFXIV Unable to Download Patch Files
Table of Contents
- 1 Solutions For Ffxiv Fatal Directx Error
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
Solutions For Ffxiv Fatal Directx Error
These are some ways in which ffxiv a fatal directx error can be fixed.
Update Graphics Card Drivers
When the graphics card drivers get faulty or are of older versions, it may result in DirectX errors. Updating the drivers may help in resolving ffxiv fatal DirectX errors.
- In the start menu, select device manager from the given list
- Press Windows + R key to open a run dialog box, write “devmgmt.msc,” and press OK
- Next, from the list that appears, select Display Adapters and then right-click on it, then uninstall it
- Follow the following steps that occur to confirm the update
- Look for the card on the manufacturer’s website and follow the instructions.
- Save the file on your PC and run the installation file
- Restart the PC to complete the process.
Running The Game In A Borderless Window
Editing the game file configuration might help resolve the ffxiv fatal DirectX error.
- Go to File Explorer and locate Documents.
- You’ll find a file named “FINAL FANTASY XIV.” Open it.
- Here, you’ll find another file named “FFXIV.cfg.” Open the file with Notepad to edit it. Click on the Edit option. Next, open the search box from the Find option.
- In the search box, write ScreenMode” and convert the number to 2. Save the made alterations by pressing Ctrl + s keys together.
- Next, rerun the application and check whether the error occurs.
- You can switch to full-screen mode by pressing the Alt + Enter key.
See Also: How To Fix Civ 5 Not Launching [Best Guide]
Turning Off SLI
SLI supports graphics cards and is very helpful while playing games. But some applications don’t support this feature and thus result in numerous errors. Therefore, turning the SLI off might help resolve ffxiv, a fatal DirectX error.
- Right-click on the screen of your monitor and choose NVIDIA Control Panel. You may also select it from the control panel
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, go to the 3D settings menu and select the Set SLI configuration option
- After completing the above step, enable the SLI technology option and select Apply.
Restart FFXIV to see if ffxiv fatal DirectX error is solved.
Turning Off CrossFire For AMD GPUs
- Right-click on the screen and choose AMD Radeon Settings
- After AM Radeon Settings open, choose the Gaming Tab from the control panel
- Next, select Global Settings
- Here, turn off AMD CrossFire
Check whether the problem is solved.
Despite running the game on Directx 11, adding DirectX9 might help solve ffxiv fatal DirectX error.
- Right-click on the shortcut of Final Fantasy XIV and choose the properties
- Next, a window opens. Choose the Shortcut tab
- Here, at the end of the target path type -dx9
- The target path will appear like C:/Program Files/FFXIV/FFXIV.exe
- Now click on Apply
- Select OK to complete the process
See also: 4 Ways to ffxiv 90002 Fix | Step-by-Step Guide
Does DirectX 12 work with FFXIV?
FFXIV is compatible with DirectX 11 but not with DirectX 12.
How do I reinstall FFXIV?
• First, back up and save the UI settings by opening the launcher • Create a manual backup of %USERPROFILE%DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV to avoid any problems occurring later • Uninstall FFXIV • Install FFXIV
Does FFXIV support DLSS?
No FFXIV does not support DLSS or FSR, but it does support Crossfire and SLI
How do I repair my FFXIV game?
While playing the game, players can take their equipment in FFXIV to NCPs with ‘Mender’ in their name. These Menders automatically repair any or all types of gear for a reasonable price. You can locate Menders on the Map by looking for a hammer icon.
The DirectX error can be very irritating while trying to launch the game. Next time you face the final Fantasy 14 fatal DirectX error, we hope you can find a way to rectify the problem using the methods mentioned above.
Gravit Sinha: Founder of ValidEdge, a problem-solving website, driven by his lifelong passion for fixing issues.