The rise of popularity in video games has created many applications ensure their smooth running. Steam is one such application. It boasts an extensive collection of games that do not take up a lot of space on your PC, so you can download an play carefree. Through Steam, users can join a community of gamers, make friends and even chat. It also offers automatic updates and installation of games, making it easier for the users to use this application. However, Steam has disappointed its users in many ways. Sometimes users face the ‘steam error code 118 failed to load’ web page, and users have complained that they have received these error messages while opening the application.
Even if the internet connection works fine for other applications, steam users still face this issue. Hence, this article will discuss this exact error, its causes, and solutions today.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reasons For Steam Error Code 118 Failed To Load Web Page
- 2 Solutions For Steam Error Code 118 Failed to Load Webpage
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Reasons For Steam Error Code 118 Failed To Load Web Page
Several reasons give rise to these kinds of errors. Here, the four major causes have been listed:
- The presence of a virus in your computer system can result in this error.
- It may also happen that the Windows Firewall is blocking certain activities of the Steam application. Hence, resulting in this error.
- Some third-party applications of your PC can also be a reason for this.
- Lastly, poor internet connections can also give rise to such errors on the Steam app.
Solutions For Steam Error Code 118 Failed to Load Webpage
Here’s what you can do to avoid the error code.
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Check For Any Virus
Having malware on your computer/laptop is never good. It harms your system in many ways. There are varieties of malware like spyware, ransomware, etc. They come in such varied forms that it’s difficult to note which area or part of the system gets hampered. Doing a check on these types of malware, adwares once a week is always recommendable. Doing this might help fix the error.
Enable Windows Firewall To Allow Steam
The Windows Firewall may block particular functions of Steam, and as a result, it is unable to connect to its server and thus causes this error.
- Press the Start button in the taskbar
- Select Control Panel
- Next, select Windows Firewall
- Now, select the options which allow apps under the windows firewall. Then click the option to alter the settings.
- Next, both the private and public networks options select to turn on the windows firewall.
- Next, click OK.
This method might be helpful to avoid ‘steam error code 118 failed to load’ web page.
Try Disabling The Third-Party Application.
The steam error code 118 failed to load the web page due to some third-party applications. Hence, it will help you if you disable them.
- Open run by pressing Windows + R.
- In the box, write “msconfig” and execute
- Next, go to the “services” tab and untick “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
- Next, tick the option of Disable all; select the “startup” tab
- Then go to open task manager
- Next, choose disable. You will need to disable all applications.
- Restart the system, and check if the issue is solved.
By Restarting Your Router
Wireless connections can cause many connectivity issues in Steam if not appropriately placed. It should be at a compatible distance from your device. Otherwise, unplug the router from the power board and, after waiting for a few secs plug it in and switch it on. Check if the Steam error code 118 failed to load webpage is solved.
Install Steam Again
This method is mainly the last resort when nothing mentioned above works for steam error code 118 failed to load webpage. Be sure to back up your files before opting for this method.
- Navigate to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam
- Locate folders named “SteamApps” and “Steam.exe.”
- The files mentioned above should be left out, others to be deleted.
- Launch Steam after rebooting the PC.
Check if the Steam error code 118 failed to load webpage is solved.
Here are a few FAQs regarding the Steam Error Code 118.
What Is Steam Error Code 130?
A problem in the proxy server gives rise to this particular error. Incorrect proxy configurations are also a reason. The error code does not allow users to access the Steam Store, and users have difficulty viewing the available games.
What Is Steam Error Code 21?
When the application crashes while in use, it gives rise to this error; the code may not be incorrect but has failed to execute at that particular time. A caution dialog box pops up when this error occurs, alerting the user. It may also result in the loss of some files.
What Does Steam Error Code 105 Mean?
This error occurs when the application is unable to make a stable connection to the steam server. It might also happen due to fluctuations in internet connections.
Will Deleting Steam Result In Loss Of Games Too?
Yes, when you uninstall Steam from your computer, it removes all the games connected to it, saved files, and whatever you have downloaded related to Steam.
We hope this quick guide has helped you solve steam error code 118 failed to load web page. Now you can enjoy Steam, play your favourite games at any time without any interruptions!
You can always find me playing the piano or playing FIFA when I’m not binge-watching TV Series with pizzas. Fountainhead of TechWhoop.
Life motto: The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.