The .tax or [dot]tax is a file extension developed by Intuit Inc. for filing federal tax returns for Income tax in the United States of America(USA). Turbo Tax software uses .tax to generate tax return digital files. You can download it on any Windows 10 PC by paying the License Fee. Users from other countries can download and use the software but cannot file tax returns. In this article, we will tell you how to open a .tax file on Windows 10
Table of Contents
What Is A .Tax File?
A dot tax file is like any other file such as .ppt(Microsoft Powerpoint) or a .docx(MicrosoftWord File) and is a specific application file, which means it is only used to file tax returns in the United States. It has a .tax extension followed by the year of filing in “yyyy” format. Individuals primarily use the file extension to file income tax returns.
Example – A tax return filed in 2019 with the file named Kary as Kary.tax2019
It was developed by Michael Chipman of Chipsoft Corp. in 1984 and sold to Intuit Inc in 1993. Since then, Intuit Inc has used this file type with its Turbo Tax Software. Intuit Inc heavily lobbied against the Internal Revenue Service to create its filing system. Recently, it was also under scrutiny for making its free version challenging to download.
How To Open A .Tax File In Windows 10?
To access the .tax file, you can use software called Turbo Tax. This is proprietary software, which means a person has to pay for its License Fee before using it. It is also necessary to note that Turbo Tax allows people earning less than $39000 to use the software for free.
Note:- This software can only be used for US FEDERAL INCOME TAX
Steps To Install The Turbo Tax Software To Open The .Tax File
Before we learn how to open a .tax file we should get the TurboTax software ready to go. Go to TurboTax and place the mouse pointer under the “File your taxes” tab.
- You will see three options
a. Prepare to file your taxes- Under this, you will find the trial version for free
b. Products and Pricing- Under this, you will find a solution for various professions
c. CD/Download- Under this, you see multiple types of software
- Either download the free version or install the specific software as per your choice. Downloading the accessible version of the app is more suitable for first-time users as they can explore the software’s features before making any financial purchases.
- There are features in the software such that it asks only for a payment when you are filing for the tax returns and not while you download.
- Choose the applicable option for your filing, or skip the step.
- This will next take you to a sign-up page. Fill in all the details.
- The details it will ask are:
Email ID- Please give your registered Email ID to IRS to avoid any unnecessary conflict of more information.
User ID – Choose a User ID best suitable to you.
Phone – Enter your phone number.
Password – Use a mix of Alphabets(both upper and lower cases), numerals from 0 to 9, and special symbols such as @#$%&. Be careful to remember the password or store it in a safe place where you can access it easily.
- As soon as you sign-up, You will find further details to install the software.
- Install the software in your desired location. If you do not have any, please proceed with the default or recommended settings.
Note: It is always safe to use the default or recommended settings unless you are a seasoned software user. This is to avoid any unnecessary trouble. Also, any incomplete or faulty filings are subjected to penalty under Title 26, United States Code, Section 7203.
- Run the Turbo Tax Software (Preferably as an administrator). As an administrator, you would have access to many features that would typically not be available to regular users.
- In the top left corner, select File menu and then Open Tax Return.
- Browse for the file and then Open the File by selecting the file and then clicking on Open.
- You should see the .tax file now.
The dot tax file extension has been in use for many years and serves as a necessary file for US Taxpayers. Inuit Inc has, over the years, made the software and maintained it. It has also given free access to people among the taxpayers at the lowest slab (less than $39000), making it one of the most desirable software. Make sure you are a US Taxpayer before paying for any subscription since users from other countries also use the software but cannot file tax returns.