Middle Mouse Button Not Working is a general problem for every mouse user. Middle Mouse Button is also known as ‘wheel mouse’s used to scroll back and forth making the view of vertical portrait easy and useful for viewing long documents and web pages. It is called a middle mouse button because it can be used a third mouse button by pressing it which can be used for opening new tabs, pasting texts, closing application windows, etc.
Reasons Behind Middle Mouse Button Not Working
Nowadays every mouse comes with the middle mouse button, and everyone has become used to. Imagine you are scrolling down the screen and boom, your middle mouse button is not working. You will definitely feel frustrated. In a while, there have been numerous cases about the non-working of the middle mouse button. There can be many causes of this problem, and the can be summed up as :
1. The problem in the Hardware device
2. Device settings
3. Faulty or outdated mouse driver
5. Improper window system arrangement
However, there are 5 ways to fix middle mouse button which are as follows :
Method #1 Check Mouse Device
1. Test your mouse on another computer to check whether the problem is in your mouse or there is something wrong with the computer.
Check This: Fix Your Computer is Low on Memory Error
2. If the middle mouse button is not working on another computer the Dismantle the mouse to find the fault button and clean the dirt out. You can attempt to clean the mouse by watching various YouTube tutorials.
3. If the middle mouse button is not working only on your computer, then check the assigned scroll wheel features in the Button settings.
Method #2 Change the Registry
If the first method did not help to fix the malfunction of the middle mouse button, then try this method to bring your mouse back on track.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to open run.
2. Type regedit and hit the Enter key.
3. Paste the following to address bar of the registry editor and press Enter.
4. On the right pane, double click on Wheel Scroll Lines.
5. Change value data to 3 and click OK.
Then restart the computer to test the working of the middle mouse Button.
Method #3 Mouse Settings
Another method which can be implemented is changing mouse settings. Open mouse settings, and step ahead into settings related to the mouse, and inside that, open settings related to the wheel. Update the scrolling to 3, both vertical and horizontal, and along with updating, also check the hardware according to your preference which you might look out for change. This is a fundamental thing by which you can take care of your mouse without any additional complications.
Method #4 Disabling Extensions
If your middle mouse button is not working only while using the browsers, there must be some problem present in the browsers. An extension is a plugin that extends the functionality of the browser. These extensions can be problematic; however, we can disable and check if it fixes anything.
NOTE: This solution is meant only for those users whose middle mouse button works outside the browser.
1. Open a new tab and type “ chrome://extensions “ You can disable all the extensions listed there.
2. If then the mouse starts functioning then check the extensions one by one to know which one is creating the problem.
Method #5 Manage Mouse Driver
Outdated mouse driver can be the reason for the middle mouse button not working because the program may not support the new features of the middle mouse button.
Drivers are the main working force behind any hardware and allow communication between the operating system and the hardware itself.
The best way is to uninstall the mouse and replug it after restarting the system. In this way, default drivers will be installed. If this doesn’t work, you can always download proper mouse driver from your device
You Might Face This: atikmpag.sys Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Error
1. Press Windows + R , .type ‘ devmgmt.msc ‘ and press enter.
2. Expand the section ‘ Mice and other pointing devices ‘ and right click on the mouse to select ‘ Uninstall device’.
3. Unplug your mouse from the computer and restart the computer. After the restart, plug the mouse back in then the drivers will be installed automatically.
If you don’t have patience, you can automatically update your mouse driver by Driver Easy. Driver Easy will detect the driver’s condition and install the correct driver for you. This will tremendously save your time.
1. Download and Install Driver Easy.
2. Run Driver Easy and Click on “ Scan Now “. It will scan your computer to find the problem drivers.
3. Click the Update button to download the latest version of the driver
4. Restart your computer and try using the middle mouse button.
Check Out Before Moving: Instagram Bots To Auto Like And Auto Follow In 2019
Method #6 Hardware Troubleshooter
The Hardware and Device Troubleshooter can help in fixing this problem.
1. Open Control Panel in your computer, and select Trouble Shooting.
2. Click “ Hardware and Sound “ and then “ Hardware and Devices “.
3. Click Start and Troubleshooting will start. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish.
4. Restart the computer and check whether the middle mouse button starts working or not.
Method 7# Open the mouse
Another way which you can work on to fix your mouse is to open up your mouse physically. Yes! Get ready to be the new Rancho!!! In many cases, there have been instances that the issue is not significant, but the button under the wheel stops responding when you press the wheel. So the fundamental thing which you do is make the button responsive. For that, you need to take off screws and remove the cover.
You will be able to see the wheel and the mechanism via which the wheel button is pressed. But again the device is different for different models and brands of the mouse, but it’s easily identifiable. Once identified, clean up the dust inside the mouse and try pressing the button, harder with some object, once or twice or more until the button is responsive. Good to go now, assemble all the parts, and your mouse is again smooth and efficient.
Method #Bonus Use XTRON System Care (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
These were the steps you can perform if your middle mouse button is not working. Even after completing these steps, the middle button mouse is still not working then get it checked by the professionals because these all are some of the measures which can be performed by you. However, it is recommendable to get your mouse checked through professionals.