Did you get the “ operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” error when you downloaded a file online? We have the fixes for this error.
Sometimes “the operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” is an error shown when downloading something. It can be a false positive, or the file might be malicious. You could take various steps, like temporarily disabling windows defender and windows firewall registry to run the file. You can also repair the file explorer to run the file. Verify the file’s security and that it is free of malware.
Let’s go on and examine the error’s sources and solutions.
Table of Contents
- 1 Causes of “Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” error
- 2 Methods to fix the “Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” error
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Causes of “Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” error
Depending on the circumstances, the error notice could arise for a few different reasons.
Despite the fact that you downloaded a clean file, Windows Defender finds a virus. Windows Defender likely reported a false positive if you downloaded something from a dependable website.
All antivirus software has this problem; if a file’s code or behavior resembles that of known malware, Windows Defender may flag it as potentially harmful.
The operation could not be completed because the file contained a virus. Usually, rogue users and deceptive links propagate files that look legitimate but contain malware. When this occurs, Windows Defender warns you after securing your PC.
See Also: Win32:BogEnt – Virus Removal Guide (Updated 2023)
Methods to fix the “Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus” error
If you are sure that the apps you downloaded are legitimate, let’s move on to the fixes for this message error.
Complete a Full Scan
Firstly, we advise doing a complete PC scan. You can locate any potential virus in your system using this technique.
- Window Security may be found by typing it into the Start menu.
- Select Scan from the Virus and Threat Protection menu.
- After choosing the Deep scan option, click the “Scan Now” button.
Temporarily disable Windows Defender
The operation did not complete the virus windows 10 bypass. Simple errors like these are expected, given that Windows Defender’s complete protection settings can result in false positives. However, until Windows Defender is disabled, there is no effective way to launch the file detected in Windows and Windows Defender.
Turn it on as soon as possible because leaving your computer unsecured for an extended period is always risky.
- On your taskbar, right-click the shield symbol and select Open.
- Turn off Real-time and Cloud-based protection when Windows Defender Security Center opens by clicking the shield symbol below the home button and opening the Virus & threat protection options.
- Go to the browser icon (second from the end) and deactivate the option labeled “Check apps and files.”
- If you believe SmartScreen may interfere with your ability to complete the task, you can also turn it off.
See Also: Best Antivirus For Mac: 5 Best Apps In 2023
Firewall Windows Registry
You can occasionally be unable to turn off Windows Defender using Settings. Numerous customers have complained that the application can only be briefly disabled before re-enabling itself afterward because the operation did not complete virus avast. If you intend to deactivate the application fully, you must modify it using Registry Editor.
You can adhere to the guidelines provided below.
- To launch the Run Utility, use Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Enter regedit and then press the OK button.
- Enter the path mentioned below in the Registry Editor’s address bar: ComputerHKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender
- Locate the option to disable anti-spyware.
- Right-click the vacant space and select New > DWORD 32-bit value if the choice isn’t immediately apparent.
- Rename the key with the name “DisableAntiSpyware” and click on it.
- To save your changes, modify the Value Data to 1 and press OK.
Disabling any third-party Antivirus program
Antivirus software is known for causing computer problems by preventing the normal operation of apps and services. The virus sometimes shows the message that avast this file might be dangerous. Still, by momentarily turning off your antivirus software, you can determine whether the issue is caused by it.
Note that using your computer without protection is dangerous, so this method is not advised. Only move further if you know the potential risks and have a system backup to undo any possible damage.
- Select Task Manager by right-clicking an empty area of your taskbar. Make sure to click the “Mode details” button to expand details if the Task Manager runs in compact mode.
- Choose the Start-up tab from the headline bar at the window’s top. Locate your antivirus program on the list, then choose it with a single click.
- Click the Disable button located in the bottom right of the window. Doing this can prevent the program from starting when your device turns on.
- Switch off your computer. Restart it after that.
See Also: 3 Ways To Fix ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED Error
Adding the file to the exception list
You can disregard the warning without disabling Windows Defender or your third-party antivirus program. Just add the file—or the folder that contains it—to the exclusions list. The defender won’t search that particular directory for any suspicious files if you do this.
- Enter Windows Security in the search box once it is open.
- Malware and Spyware Protection can be selected in the left side panel.
- Choose Manage Options from the list of settings for malware and threat prevention.
- Choose Add or Remove exclusion from the Exclusions section.
- Click the “Add an exclusion” button.
- Open the desired program file by navigating to it.
Repair the File Explorer
Even the Windows Explorer process can occasionally be detected as potentially harmful software, which prevents you from using your computer properly and displays the error message “Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus.” Since explorer.exe is a legitimate Windows process, turning off your antivirus software or adding it to your exceptions list might not be able to fix the issue.
- Click the Start button and enter Command Prompt.
- Click on it with the right mouse button, then choose Run as Administrator.
- If the User Account Control box pops up, select Yes to grant administrator access.
- Enter the following codes into the Command Prompt box now. Make sure to press Enter to carry out each command.
The command “sfc /SCANFILE=c:windowsexplorer.exe”
explorer.exe in the following directory: C: WindowsSysWow64
See Also: Windows Resource Protection Could Not Perform The Requested Operation
Run Disk Cleanup
Your caches, cookies, and browsing history stored in your backup might occasionally become corrupted or cause issues. The warning notice may consequently appear. You can delete these files by following the instructions listed below.
- Enter “Disk Cleanup” in the start menu.
- Select the system drive. In most cases, your C Drive is where it is installed.
- On the OK, hit.
- In the pop-up window, check the boxes next to “Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files.”
- Select “Ok” from the menu.
Fix Windows Backup
Sometimes, the temporary Internet files and cache preserved in your backups cause the error message to appear. The actions listed below can enable you to fix this swiftly.
- Press the Windows and R keys on the keyboard. The Run application will start up as a result.
- After typing “control” on the keyboard, press enter. The Control Panel program will open as a result.
- Click on Internet Options after switching the view mode to Large Icons.
- Keep clicking the General tab. Under the header “Browsing history,” select Delete… The window will change.
- The Preserve Favorites Website Data checkbox must be unchecked.
- Keep data from a favorite website.
- After that, select the Delete button after checking the following boxes:
- Website files and temporary Internet files
- Site data and cookies
- Save the History
See Also: Fix: This File Does Not Have An App Associated With It For Performing This Action
Can a virus survive a hard reset?
A factory reset, commonly referred to as a Windows Reset or a reformat and reinstall, will remove all data and all but the most advanced viruses from the computer's hard disc. Viruses cannot affect the computer directly, and factory resets remove them from the machine's memory.
Can a virus cause permanent damage to the PC?
A computer virus can't harm computer hardware because it is only code. However, it may result in situations where computer-controlled hardware or other equipment is harmed. For instance, a virus can tell your computer to disable the cooling fans, which would lead to overheating and hardware damage.
Can a virus steal files?
One of the most dangerous and expensive effects of malware is information theft. Suppose malware such as spyware and trojans has been placed on your device. In that case, cybercriminals may be able to gather your private and corporate info to sell to third parties.
How do I make avast ignore a file?
Sometimes the action can't complete because the file is open in avast antivirus. To solve that, Open Avast Antivirus and select Settings from the menu. Click Add exception after selecting General Exceptions. Add an exception using one of the methods listed below: Click Add exception after entering the URL or the path to the particular file or folder in the text field.
It is easy to solve the issue of “Operation did not complete properly because the file contains a virus.” Simply perform each action one at a time to see how quickly the issue is resolved. For your reference, we’ve also covered a few generally posed questions.
See Also: Fix: This Operation Has Been Cancelled Due To Restrictions In Effect On This Computer
Aloukik Rathore is a Delhi-based entrepreneur, musician, writer, and tech nerd. He has been blogging for about 7 years now.