Photos are lovely memories. In this digital age, we take myriads of photos but hardly retain their hard copies. Sometimes we end up accidentally deleting our photos, or they get lost due to power failure, partition damage, failed boot drives, a virus attack, etc. Either way, losing your photos is very saddening.
Related: 10 Best Free Stock Photo Sites in 2019
A good way to ensure that your photos are not lost forever is to back up and sync all your photos to the cloud (Google Photos, iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive etc) so that you can download them on your device even after deletion. But in case you have accidentally lost your photo or photos which are not backed up, stop using the device to avoid overwriting of the deleted files.
5 Ways to Recover Deleted Photos from Any Device
Here are some file recovery software to recover deleted photos on Mac, Windows, Android, etc.
1. Disk Drill
Disk Drill is one of the best tools to recover deleted files on Mac and Windows. Disk Drill has a number of great scanning techniques that can recover deleted files– even from failing drives. Whatever the cause of your lost photos, it can help you to recover your deleted pictures.
Disk Drill supports a wide range of supported file systems and scanning techniques, such as JPG, TIFF, and RAW camera files like NEF and CR2. It can recover photos deleted from your Mac or Windows or from an external device. It can also recover deleted music on Mac: MP3, WMA, WAV, and more. To know how to recover deleted music files on Mac click here.
Also Check: 10 Best Free Music Making Software
How to recover deleted photos on Mac using Disk Drill?
- Download and install Disk Drill on Mac OS.
- Select the drive containing the deleted photo to recover. If the deleted photo was stored in an external device (l like a camera or an MP3 player), connect it to your Mac via USB or a memory card adaptor.
Must Check: – 5 Ways to Delete System Error Memory Dump Files
- Use Quick Scan if your storage device uses HFS+, FAT and NTFS Drives system, which is very common.
- If Quick Scan is not enough, perform Deep Scan to recover deleted photos
- Then filter, preview and recover the deleted photos.
Disk Drill is also available for Windows, so you can follow a similar process to recover deleted photos from your Windows device as well.
EaseUS Data Recovery Software is an efficient user-friendly tool that can help you recover the deleted, inaccessible or formatted pictures from hard drives and other various removable storage devices, as long as those devices can be recognised by your computer.
Steps to recover deleted photos using EaseUS:
- Download, install and run the Software. It is available for both Windows and Mac.
- Once it launches, it will display all available drives from which you can recover data. Your photo(s) could’ve been deleted from a local disk or an external device. If it is an external device, for example, an SD card, you need to connect it to your computer first. Choose the drive location and click the Scan button.
- After the scan, you’ll see the “Deleted Files” list from which you can recover your photos. With the free version, you can restore up to 2 GB of data at a time.
- You don’t always have to wait for the scan to finish. You can filter pictures from the results. In the left-hand panel, click on Type → Graphics →JPG (or whatever file format your deleted photos were). All the images you can recover will be available in the main window.
- Select the photos that you want to recover and click Recover Now and choose a location on your hard drive to save your images. Remember not to save the photos on the same drive which from which they got deleted.
PhotoRec is a free file data recovery tool for recovering lost files from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the name Photo Recovery) from digital camera memory. Since PhotoRec ignores the file system and looks for the underlying data, it will still work even if your media’s file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
For greater safety, PhotoRec uses read-only access to handle the drive or memory card from which your photos have been deleted. Remember: When you’re using PhotoRec, you should not choose to write the recovered files to the same partition they were stored on.
PhotoRec works on a variety of operating systems such as Mac OS, Windows, DOS, Linux, Sun Solaris and so on. It can work with hard disks, memory cards, CD-ROMs, DD raw image, USB memory drives, EnCase E01 image, etc. It is compatible with a range of portable media players including iPod and digital cameras such as Canon EOS 60D, 300D, 10D, Casio Exilim EX-Z 750, Fujifilm X-T10 etc.
Must See: – 7 Best USB Bootable Software for Windows
A unique feature offered by this tool is its online checker (beta) with which you can check for yourself if PhotoRec can recover deleted photos, by uploading a sample photo via it.
4. Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery
This is another data recovery tool, free to download for both Mac and Windows PC, which lets you recover deleted photos. It works the same way as the previously mentioned tools, and its best features are:
- It allows you to only scan the desired file types and partition to save your time.
- You can save scan information, stop or resume recovery any time.
- You also add new file headers to list of supported formats or edit an existing one and recover Unicode files.
- Recover files as huge as 2 TB+.
- You can recover data from digital storage media having bad sectors.
DiskDigger is a great data recovery tool which can recover deleted files from hard disks, memory cards, USB flash drives, DVDs, CDs, and floppy disks. It works very well with Windows (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions). It also works with Mac OS, Linux, and even with Android.
For PC, DiskDigger works in similar ways as the tools mentioned previously, and supports a very large range of image types and storage devices.
Must Check: 5 Best Disk Cloning Software for Windows
However, DiskDigger cannot recover data directly from Android or iOS devices (without SD cards) which are plugged into a USB port on your PC. If you need to recover deleted photos from an Android device, use the DiskDigger app from PlayStore. This app is free for photo and video recovery; if you want to recover other types of files only then you will have to pay.
- After downloading the app, select the type of the scan you want; if your phone is not rooted, select Basic Scan. Otherwise you can perform a Full Scan.
- Click on Start Basic Photo Scan, and choose the file type or types you want to scan for, whether they are JPG, MP4, PNG, MP3, etc.
- Click on OK. Now DiskDigger will start to scan your storage for any recoverable files with the types you have selected before and show you a thumbnail grid of everything it finds.
- After finishing the scan, when you have to select the files you want to recover, click on RECOVER at the top of the screen.
- You will have three options to save deleted files; the first is to save to an app like (Email, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.); or to save them on a Custom Location on your device storage, or to upload them to an FTP server.