Nowadays, devices like computers, laptops, mobile phones, etc. are becoming an essential part of our life. From personal work to professional work, we are dependent on these devices. So, it can be very irritating if these devices face any error or temporary bug. One of these errors is this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.
Display settings in your computers allow the users to adjust and control the settings like colors, brightness, contrast, text size, screen size and color, display resolution, and display orientation using some inbuilt tools present in computers. These features help the user in designing and keeping the display according to their own style and needs. But what if you cannot access the Display settings or are unable to access the Settings app on your system? What if you start facing the windows 10 display settings error? And what if restarting the PC is not the solution to this problem? Such errors can cause a lot of trouble for the users.
In this article, we will look at various reasons and methods to fix the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.
Table of Contents
- 1 Methods To Solve The Error
- 2 More About The Error ‘This File Does Not Have An App Associated With It For Performing This Action’
- 3 Reasons Behind The Error
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Methods To Solve The Error
We will look at some methods users can try whenever they face this error without much time consumption and difficulty.
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Restore Default File Extensions
The first method you can follow to remove the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action is by changing the file extensions to default. The steps are-
- Search “choose a default app for each file type” on the start menu and extend the Settings.
- Choose the type of file causing the problem. Open the list of programs.
- Select the default application from it. You can try selecting the different default programs in order to fix the error.
Performing System Restore
We will restore our system in order to fix the error. You can perform this technique only if the system protection feature was enable on your computers. The steps are-
- Open create a restore point on your device by writing restore on the search menu.
- The window of system properties will open. Choose the system protection tab.
- Press the system restore option present.
- A welcome page will appear, skip it and choose the latest point of restoring and press next.
- Finish the steps and restart your computer.
Transition To the Administrator Group
Another method to fix the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. The steps are-
- Open Run on Windows by pressing Window+R from the keyboard.
- Write lusrmgr.msc and click on Ok.
- Select the option groups and then choose Administrators. A new window will open. Press the option of add present on the bottom of the window.
- Choose Advanced and then click on the find now option. Please search for your account and select it and press Ok.
- After the process, Restart your PC.
Running The Commands- SFC And DISM
We will try running SFC and DISM commands in the command prompt to fix our error. The steps are-
- Search for cmd on the search bar, and a command prompt will appear.
- Right-click on it and choose the option run as administrator to give administrator permission.
- Write the code- sfc/scannow. The tool will scan the files and will replace any corrupt files with cache copies. After the process, check if the error still persists.
- If yes, then write the commands and select enter. The commands are-DISM/online/Cleanup-Image/ScanHealth DISM/online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth
- Restart your PC.
Scanning The Virus
Viruses and Malware are always a threat to computers and the files in them. It is possible that the virus and malware are the reasons behind the error. You can use the antivirus software on your PC.
If your PC does not have any antivirus software, you can either install it or can use the Microsoft safety scanner. It helps the users by scanning any viruses or malware and removing them. An antimalware software or third-party antivirus can also help you to scan the whole system. Read this article, if you want to know the best antivirus for Mac users.
More About The Error ‘This File Does Not Have An App Associated With It For Performing This Action’
The error: the file does not have an app associated with it mainly occurs for the users working on windows10 and 11. App Data is a folder containing all the data for the applications and the programs on our device. Making changes or editing the folder can cause a lot of trouble for the user. Users become unable to access the settings application or display settings on their devices.
The error still persists even when they try to right-click on the desktop to open display settings. Another problem is users are unable to access the customize option also. In both cases, a message pops up on the screen – MS setting display error, which can be very frustrating. There can be many different reasons causing the error.
Reasons Behind The Error
We will discuss some common reasons which lead to the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.
The most common reason for the error can be that the files on your device are corrupt. These corrupt files not only lead to this error but can cause several other computer errors.
So, it is essential to scan these corrupt files and remove them from the device as soon as possible.
Virus Or Malware
Another possible reason behind the error can be the virus or malware in your computers. It is possible that some viruses or malware are infecting your system, which results in computer error.
Scanning these viruses and removing them using antivirus or antimalware services becomes a necessary process to protect our computers from further damage.
It is possible that you change the file extensions to some other than keeping it to default. And it can be the reason leading to the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.
As your system cannot select a particular program for opening or performing some actions on the file. Read this article, if you want to learn how to remove extensions from chrome.
See Also: How Do I Open OST Files In MS Outlook?
What is MS setting display error?
MS setting display error is the error message that states- this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. It can occur while trying to access the display settings or customize option.
What causes the error?
There can be very different reasons that lead to the error. Some reasons are corrupt system files, corrupt file explorer, virus or malware infection, change of file extensions to some other, trying to modify App data folder, and many more.
What are different ways to resolve the error?
You can try different methods according to your need to resolve the error. Some of the ways are Running SFC and DISM commands, scanning for the virus and malware, performing a system restore, restoring default file extensions, and transitioning to the administrator group.
Can I fix the error by myself?
Yes, you can fix the error by yourself without any need for external guidance. Follow the above methods step-by-step, and you will resolve the error efficiently.
It can be very exasperating for the users if the windows 10 MS-settings is not working and leads to the error: this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. It can be more frustrating if you are unaware of the methods to fix the error. Follow the above procedures to resolve the error if it appears.
Aloukik Rathore is a Delhi-based entrepreneur, musician, writer, and tech nerd. He has been blogging for about 7 years now.