VAC Was Unable to Verify the Game Session: The Valve Anti-Cheat System, or in short, the VAC, was developed with an idea of trying to detect modified installation files or configuration files of the popular games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to prevent malicious users from exploiting workarounds to get an unfair advantage while playing the game.
Have a Look: Is Softonic Safe to Download?
Sometimes, even if some users are not modifying the game or configuration files, still it may happen that VAC will generate a false positive error and result in VAC was unable to verify the game session error message when you try to start any online game session or official matchmaking.
5 Ways to fix VAC Was Unable to Verify the Game Session
If you are using any modifications or enhancements to cheat, now is the best time to stop that, as not only you will be unable to do any matchmaking, but you may get blocked sooner or later and you will not be able to recover your progress or any data.
Check Out: Best Data Recovery Software?
But if you are not using any such things, here are some of the ways you can try and avoid the VAC was unable to verify the game session error.
Method #1 Log Out of Steam and Log in Again
1. If some of the configuration files have been altered by the operating system or the file management system of the computer, it may lead to the VAC not being able to verify them and hence will throw the VAC was unable to verify the game session error.
2. One of the things you can try to get rid of this issue is to just log out of the steam account and log in again with the same credentials. This will delete all the configuration files upon log out and recreate all those files when you log in.
3. To log out and log in again,
4. Click on the Steam icon in the taskbar, the Desktop or the Start Menu and run the steam application.
5. Once it starts up, click on your profile name on the title bar (topmost bar of the window) and in the drop-down menu that expands, click on Log Out of My Account and follow the instructions or the dialogue box.
6. Log in again with your credentials and click on forgot… if you don’t remember them to reset your password.
7. This will most probably fix your VAC was unable to verify the game session error if it was due to some bad configuration or settings files.
8. Remember, just re-installing the game will not solve the issue as it will load the game again with same files and hence will not be able to rectify the error. Reinstalling steam will give the same desired effect but logging out and logging in again is more efficient, and in most case, as effective as a fresh install, hence we recommend that more.
You can also check this:
Method #2 Just Reboot Your Computer
1. If some of the files that need to be verified by the VAC are being accessed by some other applications or processes like the antivirus or disk indexing service or anything else, the VAC service may be denied access by the operating system to avoid read-write conflicts and may lead to VAC was unable to verify the game session error.
Increase System Speed: Delete System Error Memory Dump Files
2. Just a simple reboot can do the trick for you. To do just that,
3. Click on the Windows icon located at the leftmost bottom corner of your screen, on the taskbar, or place the Windows key on your Keyboard, which is generally located at the bottom row alongside space and Alt keys.
4. In the Start menu that appears, click on the power button and select reboot. If the operating system asks to close any apps, save data on the apps you were working on and perform the reboot of the system.
You Might Be Facing: Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device
Now open your game and see if you can start a game session.
Method #3 Verify Integrity of The Game Files
You can manually check the integrity of the game files installed to verify if they are exactly as they should be as described by the game manufacturer and the steam distributors, without any corrupt of modified files.
To do that,
- Open Steam using its desktop or the start menu icon.
2. Go to the Library tab, you will see installed games on your device there.
3. Right click on the game you are facing the VAC was unable to verify the game session error in, and go to properties.
4. In the local tab, click on the Verify integrity of the game files option.
5. Depending on the game size and your type of storage along with background activity, this process will take some time. It is better to close any background apps or services not related to Steam that are utilizing the system resources like CPU use, RAM or Storage.
Reduce CPU Usage: Fix Svchost.exe High CPU Usage
6. Once the check is complete, run the game again and see if this fixed the issue.
Method #4 Repair the Steam Client
The steam client itself may have some broken or damaged files and hence may be leading to VAC was unable to verify the game session error.
To fix this,
- Press the key combination Windows + R. Run… dialogue box shall appear.
2. Type cmd in there and open the command prompt.
3. In the command prompt, copy and paste “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe /repair” without the included quotes and press enter.
4. If the path to the SteamService.exe is different in your system, replace the path with the path of your SteamService.exe.
5. Let the repair be complete and after it is complete, restart your machine.
6. After the restart, try to open the steam app first, it may reconfigure itself or download some files for update or configuration. Log in if prompted so.
7. Open your game and see if this solved the VAC was unable to verify the game session error.
Method #5 Exclude Game Directory from Antivirus Scan
As mentioned earlier, the antivirus may try to scan the game directory in the background and may lead to the VAC service not being able to verify the game files. To avoid this issue, you may consider just whitelisting the game and steam directory such that they are not scanned automatically. This process is different for different anti-virus programs.
Most probably it is the case of launching your anti-virus software application and going to settings and adding the game directory in the excluded folders list.
Check Out – How to Fix Dell Laptop Plugged in Not Charging
Hope that this article helped you in getting rid of VAC was unable to verify the game session error and you are able to play online session games again!