Widevine Content Decryption Module (WidevineCdm) is a built-in plugin in Google Chrome. When installing Chrome for the first time, it already comes packed with this module. It helps in playing DRM-protected HTML5 video and audio in Google Chrome. In case it is missing or not updated, you receive an error as the missing component.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Widevine Content Decryption Module Error
Here we have discussed ways to solve this issue. Read on.
Method 1: Updating Widevine Content Decryption Module
We can update this plugin through Google Chrome itself. First, you need to make sure that you launch Chrome in administrator mode. Then follow the steps which are given below:
1. At First, right-click on Google Chrome browser. Then from the list of options, select Run as administrator.
2. Afterward, Chrome will open in administrator mode. Then go to the address bar within Chrome, and type in the following “chrome://components” address. Then hit Enter.
3. When the new page opens, keep scrolling to the bottom of the page. At the end, you will find an entry named as Widevine Content Decryption Module. Underneath this entry, you will see a button as Check for update. Click on it.
4. Afterwards, refresh the page. If the status below changes to Up-to-date, you know that the Widevine Content Decryption Module plugin has been updated successfully.
5. Finally, restart your system. Check if you still get the error.
Must see: –
Method 2: Disable Security Software
You may have installed some third-party software for virus protection. It still does not matter, as Windows 10 itself, in case you are using it, comes with a Windows Defender Security Center.
What this program does, is that it prevents Widevine Content Decryption Module from getting the update. It does not occur because it is a malware or any corrupted program. The main reason lies in the new security feature that has been included by Microsoft. In the latest version of Windows, apps or files getting installed without permission has been prohibited.
So when you try to update the component within Chrome, first you need to turn off real-time protection. It is within Windows Defender Security Center. Or if you are using any other third party antivirus program, disable it before starting the update.
You should note that, after you update the component, re-enable your security software.
Check if you are still getting the error after doing all the above. If the error persists, move to the next method.
Method 3: Full Control to Edit WidevineCdm Folder
Now you can also try changing the permission of the folder which is present on your computer. You need to have sufficient privileges first. Otherwise, Windows User Account Control will not allow you to update the plugin. So what we do, is go to the plugin folder. Here we make sure that your account has full control. Once you ensure this, you can again try updating the plugin using method 1 given above.
Also Check: 7 Best Grammar Checker Software
Follow the steps given below:
1. At First, press the Windows Key & R simultaneously. This will open the Run dialog box.
2. Then type in “%userprofile%/appdata/local.” Next, press Enter.
3. Afterwards, the required folder will show on the screen.
4. Then navigate to the follow path Google>>Chrome>>User Data.
5. When the new window opens, locate the folder WidevineCdm in the list of folders. After you find it, then right-click on it, and select Properties.
6. Then go to the Security tab. Here you need to make sure that your login user has full access to the folder. Afterwards, you can just check if there is a tick in front of Full control in the properties.
7. In case you see that you do not have full control, follow these steps:
- Select your profile and click on Edit… to modify the setting. There should be a tick under the column of Deny next to Full Control. Uncheck it. This will give your account full access. Click on Apply to save the changes and exit.
- Finally, restart your computer. Try updating your plugin using the first method. Then check if you still get the Widevine Content Decryption Module error.
Method 4: Delete WidevineCdm Folder
You can also try deleting the plugin folder itself. Then you can reinstall it using Chrome. This solution requires administrative rights. So you have to make sure at first that you are logged in as an administrator.
1. At First, press the Windows Key+R simultaneously. This will open the Run dialog box.
2. Then, type in “%userprofile%/appdata/local.” Next, press Enter.
3. Afterwards, the required folder will show on the screen.
4. Later, Navigate to this path Google -> Chrome -> User Data.
5. When the new window opens, locate the folder WidevineCdm in the list of folders. After you find it, then right-click on it, and select Delete.
6. Now, right-click on the blank area in Recycle Bin to choose Empty Recycle Bin.
7. Afterward, press the Windows Key+S together. This will open the Search box.
8. Then type in Task Manager in the box.
9. Later, right click on the result that shows, and select Run as administrator.
10. End all the Chrome related tasks. Then right-click on each Chrome entry, and select End task.
11. Now, you use the first method of updating the plugin. It should update successfully and Chrome will restart.
Restart your PC. Try playing any video, and hopefully, you will not receive Widevine Content Decryption Module error.
Method 5: Reinstalling Chrome
If none of the above methods work, reinstalling Chrome is the best option. When you uninstall Chrome, all its modules are deleted. So, if some components are corrupt, this will solve the issue.
1. At First, press the Windows Key and R simultaneously. This will open the Run dialog box. Type in “appwiz.cpl“. The window that opens will list all applications installed on your computer.
2. Find Google Chrome. Then right click on it and select Uninstall.
3. After you uninstall it, go to the official Google website & download the latest version of Google Chrome browser.
4. Afterwards, run the executable and install it.
See Also: –
- 10 Ways to Fix DNS_Probe_Finished_No_Internet in Chrome
- 5 Ways to Fix Critical Structure Corruption Error in Windows 10
- 8 Ways to Fix Windows 10 100% Disk Usage in Task Manager
Now check if installing the new browser solves your problem. These were all methods to tackle Widevine Content Decryption Module error. Hopefully, either works for you.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂