The latest issue faced by the Windows 10 users are their systems taking too long to shut down completely termed as Windows 10 Slow Shutdown. The screen may turn off instantly, but the hardware is still running as you can see the LED light for the power remains active. The computer continues to run for a few minutes even after the screen is turned off. A few seconds or even a few minutes can be normal, but there are reports of computers taking even 10 to 15 minutes for shutting down. So it can be an annoying and serious problem as you cannot shut down your computer fast.
The causes for this error maybe corrupted Windows Files or Drivers in your Windows 10. These may prevent windows from shutting down completely.
If you are facing this frustrating issue, then do not worry anymore as we are here with the best methods that you can use to solve the Windows 10 Slow Shutdown issue. But before we start to find the fixes, make sure your PC is not facing Windows Update Service Not Running Error.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Windows 10 Slow Shutdown Issue
Method #0 Use Restoro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Run System File Checker
1. Press the Windows Key + X and then Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type in the following commands and hit enter:
3. Sfc /scannow
4. sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
5. After that Wait for the processes to complete and then restart your computer.
6. Check whether the windows 10 slow shutdown problem is fixed.
Run Check Disk (CHKDSK)
1. Press the Windows Key + X and then click on Command Prompt (Admin).
2. In the command window, type in CHKDSK/f/r and then hit enter.
3. The windows will ask you whether to schedule the scan in the next system reboot.
4. Type Y and then hit enter.
5. Reboot your computer to save the changes.
Run Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
1. Press the Windows Key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Enter the following command and hit enter: ( We remind you to have the Windows Installation Media Ready before you start DISM)
3. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess (Replace the Repair source with the actual location of your repair source.) The SFC scan can also help you recover Random Windows 10 Restart Error.
4. Press Enter to run the command and then wait for the process to complete, it may take 15 to 20 minutes.
5. After the DISM is complete, type the following in the command and hit enter:
7. The System File Checker will run and after it is completed, restart your computer.
8. Check whether the Windows 10 Slow Shutdown error is resolved.
Read also –
Run the System Maintenance
1. Search for maintenance in the Windows search bar and then click on Security and Maintenance.
2. Click to Expand the Maintenance section and then click on Start Maintenance.
See also: Fix Exodus Kodi Not Working
3. Let the system Maintenance run and then Reboot your computer after the process is completed.
Perform a Clean Boot
At times, 3rd party software may conflict with the Windows Store, and this may cause you not to be able to install anything from the Windows App Store. If this is the issue causing Windows 10 slow shutdown, then the best method you can use is to perform a clean boot. To perform a clean boot, simply followed these steps:
1. Press the Windows Key + R, then type in “msconfig” and click OK.
2. Go to the General Tab and Check Selective Startup
3. Uncheck “Load Startup Items” under the selective startup group.
See also: Driver WUDFRd Failed to Load
4. Go to the service tab and then Check “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
5. Now, click on “Disable all” to disable all the unnecessary services.
6. Under the Startup Tab, Click on “Open Task Manager.”
7. In the Task Manager Window, Disable all the Startup items.
8. Click OK and then Reboot your computer. Now your computer will be booted in a clean boot. You can also fix the GDI+ Window Preventing to Shutdown Error with this method if other methods in the article don’t work.
9. After that Check whether the Windows 10 Slow Shutdown issue remains.
Run the Power Troubleshooter
1. Search for “troubleshooting” in the Windows Search bar and then click on Troubleshooting.
2. In the left window pane, Select View all.
3. From the “troubleshoot computer problems” list, Select Power option.
4. Follow the On-Screen instructions to Complete the Power Troubleshooter. You can also it to fix any Driver Power State Failure in Windows.
5. Reboot your PC after the troubleshooting gets the finish.
1. Press the Windows Key + R then type “regedit” and click OK.
2. Navigate to the following Registry Key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
3. Make sure that “Control” is selected in the left pane, then look for WaitToKillServiceTimeout in the right pane.
4. If you could not find the value, then right-click on an empty area on the right window pane and click New then Select-String Value.
5. Name the String as WaitToKillServiceTimeout and then Double Click on this value.
6. If you have created or already have the WaitToKillServiceTimeout string value, then just double-click on it and change its value between 1000 to 20000 which changes the value to 1 to 20 seconds successively. (Don’t save this value too low, doing so would lead programs to exit without even saving the changes.)
7. Click OK and then close everything. Reboot your computer to save the changes.
8. Check whether the Windows 10 Slow Shutdown error gets to fix or not.
These are the best methods that can solve the Windows 10 Slow shutdown issue. But we strongly recommend you to go through these steps thoroughly before attempting any one of these ways. Even a small mistake could damage your system, so proceed carefully. But when done with caution, these methods are sure to fix your issue. We hope that these methods help you to solve the problem you are facing.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂