Microsoft is delivering a series of updates for Windows 10 and clients can efficiently install and download the latest build through Windows installer or Windows update. But, things don’t work the way it was described! Many clients reported and are continuously reporting that they are not able to install and download Windows 10 update as it stuck during checking for updates. The whole process remained at 0% and was unable to move on. Windows updates are running silently in the background, but sometimes, they need helping hands as well! Usually, when Windows 10 update stuck, you must check the error codes first. Like, if it is displaying some error message, then you should check for error codes.
Microsoft is trying to offer most of the significant and security updates as soon as they are released and it may be an excellent idea! But, installing those updates so frequently means Windows update stuck for users. The whole process freezes, and it can’t be resumed. The below-given solutions may help you out by providing the idea of leaving or resuming an update!
Ensure that it’s stuck because sometimes the update is busy with fixing some other issues. That’s why you must wait for around 3-4 hours before doing anything to resume the Windows 10 update stuck. You can also check whether your Windows 10 update is stuck or not by the CPU usage. You can do so by:
- Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + ESC altogether to open the task manager.
- Choose More details.
- Go ahead towards Performance tab to check the activity of Memory, CPU, Disk, etc. If there are a lot of activities, then you are not stuck!
And, if you find the Windows 10 upgrade stuck, first of all, Restart your system. If your PC is frozen and you cannot press the Start button, then press Ctrl + Alt + Del altogether to Restart.
When you are stuck with the blue screen, another way to resolve it is that force your PC to shut down to restart it again. But remember, try to implement this when your system freezes for more than 3-4 hours; otherwise, it may be harmful to your PC. To do this, press the power button until your system completely shut down then press it again to start manually.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck Checking for Updates
How to Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck Checking for Updates
But, before applying any solution from the below-given options, you must keep a backup of your system’s data. Here, are few effective solutions to resolve your issue:
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This will inevitably find problems in your system, and that will take few minutes.
1. At First, download the troubleshooter.
2. Then go to Advanced settings.
3. Afterward, search for Apply repairs automatically option.
4. Execute the troubleshooter by clicking Run as administrator.
5. Then click “Next.”
When you give the privileges of the tool, it helps you to ensure that it can remove or delete files in the download cache. The troubleshooter works via its process and then provides you the problem which it identified. Mostly, the troubleshooter is succeeded in removing a stuck update so try to rerun the Windows update.
Solution 2: Delete cache manually to fix Windows update
If you are not able to resolve the issue by running the troubleshooter, doing the same actions manually may help you.
1. At first, boot your Windows by clicking the Safe mode option in the boot menu.
2. Then press the Shift key as you click Restart.
3. Go through Troubleshoot>>Advanced options>> Windows startup settings>> Restart>> safe mode.
4. Afterward, stop the service of Windows updates. It can be done as Start>> command prompt (search by typing the shortcut for command prompt) or start>>all programs>> accessories>> command prompt. (Administrative privilege optional)
5. In the command prompt, type the following command:
net stop wuauserv and hit Enter to stop the service of Windows update.
6. Then open File Explorer window and go to this path:
7. Delete all the files from the folder and remember, Windows update will recreate it.
8. Restart the Windows update service.
9. In the command prompt, type the following command:
net start wuauserv and press Enter.
10. Finally, restart your Windows.
Solution 3: Adjust the number of programs that run at startup
Excessive programs running in your system can also be a reason for Windows 10 update stuck. So, by limiting the number of programs, the speed of your system can be increased. Follow the given steps to do so:
1. At First, press Windows + R.
2. Then type msconfig in the text box and hit Enter.
3. Afterward, click on Startup to check how many programs and what programs run at the application level.
4. Uncheck the box for those programs that you want to stop.
5. Finally, click Okay.
Solution 4: Use system restore
The use of system restore can revert your system. To access “System restore,” follow the steps:
1. In the search bar, type System Restore.
2. Choose to create a restore point which will go through System protection in the System properties.
3. Now, you can pick a suitable point to revert to.
4. Try installing updates again.
Solution 5: Restart or Recover your PC
If any of the solutions above didn’t work, then you should try to recover your system. Before you do so, ensure to keep a backup!
1. In the Start menu, type Recovery.
2. Choose Recovery under Updates & Security.
3. Select Get started.
4. Choose either Remove everything or keep my files.
5. Again check for updates.
Solution 6: Update the Windows update service
1. Open the Windows update by clicking Control panel>> system and security>> Windows update.
2. Choose Change settings from the sidebar.
3. Select Never check for updates and choose OK.
4. Reboot your system.
5. Now, manually download the updates.
Gravit Sinha: Founder of ValidEdge, a problem-solving website, driven by his lifelong passion for fixing issues.