Windows 10 is currently gushed with an update. The update is undoubtedly an essential requisite for the smooth running of your system. But unfortunately, sometimes Windows 10 Won’t Update Error encounters.
Don’t panic because we dedicate this article to all such users facing the problem. Therefore below are given some methods for the fix to be applied.
- 1 How to Fix Windows 10 Won’t Update Issue
- 1.1 Method 1: Run Microsoft Troubleshooter
- 1.2 Method 2: Downloading the most recent Servicing Stack Update
- 1.3 Method 3: Download the recent version of KB
- 1.4 Method 4: Fixing the Windows Corrupted Files
- 1.5 Method 5: Restoring the System to the previous one
- 1.6 Method 6: Run Check Disk
- 1.7 Method 7: Reinstall your Windows 10
- 2 Final Thoughts
How to Fix Windows 10 Won’t Update Issue
Method 1: Run Microsoft Troubleshooter
To solve the common error of Windows Error, the most straightforward and initial method to opt is running the troubleshooter. Download the tool from the Microsoft server. The steps to be followed are listed below:
1. First, Open the Microsoft Office Official Website.
2. Then get Windows Update Troubleshooter from the site.
3. Then open the downloaded Windows Update Diagnostic File.
4. Afterward, click on the Next button.
5. Afterward, the diagnosis will start and wait for its completion. Also, check for Windows Update Service Not Running Error as well.
6. Finally, The problem will display on the screen and solve it if exists.
Again try to update the windows and if still Windows 10 Won’t Update Error does not fix, read further.
Don’t miss out –
Method 2: Downloading the most recent Servicing Stack Update
The Windows Servicing Stack Update includes the files and resources that require to service Windows image. It comes along with all the Windows Installation. The failure in Windows Update can be caused due to loss of these files. This issue can from the enabling of accidental deletion option on the domain root object.
There are chances that the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error on your system is due to non updated version of SSU. Therefore as a fix, download the recent version of SSU. Follow the below given steps to execute the given method successfully.
1. First, Go to the Start menu and click on Settings. Also, check for any Windows Update Error like 0x80004005 before moving forward.
2. Then Now select the System menu.
3. Afterward, click on About. Also, check for any Windows Update Error such as 0x8024a105
4. Then go to System Type to gather the information.
5. Afterward, download the latest version of the Servicing Stack Update (SSU) that matches your system type from Microsoft Update Catalog.
Try again for the Windows 10 Update again and see if the issue has resolved. Navigate below for more methods.
Fix these too –
Method 3: Download the recent version of KB
Follow the below-written steps to download the latest version of the KB.
1. First, go to Update History Page.
2. Then navigate for the most recent update of KB for Windows 10.
3. Then Note down the KB number or copy the KB number.
4. Afterward, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog. Also, do check for any Critical Structure Corruption Error in Windows 10.
5. Then search for the KB number noted down in the earlier step.
6. Then Select for the link for download and save the file.
7. Finally, After the termination of download, open the update.
I hope the fix to the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error is applied. If not, try other alternatives.
You may also like –
Method 4: Fixing the Windows Corrupted Files
The presence of Windows Corrupted Files on your system can be one of the causes behind the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error. By fixing this issue of corrupted files, this error can be solved. The steps are:
1. At First, Press Windows Key and X at the same time.
2. Then right-click on the Command Prompt (Admin).
3. Afterward, on the Command Prompt Window type the given command and Press Enter.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
It may take some time for the operation to complete.
4. Then type the next command and press Enter.
5. Finally, Close the Command Prompt and Try Windows Update Again.
Also, read –
Method 5: Restoring the System to the previous one
Restore your system to the previous form by undoing the changes made. Some faulty errors like Windows 10 Won’t Update can be settled by following the steps lined up:
1. First, Go to Start menu.
2. Then Select Settings.
3. Afterward, from the opened Settings Window, open Update and Security option.
4. Then click on the Windows Update tab present on the left panel.
5. Then Click on Advanced Options.
6. Afterward, from the opened window, select View Update History.
7. Then scroll below for the last failed update install.
8. Afterward, go to Taskbar Search field and type “Create a restore point.”
9. Then Select Create a Restore Point. Moreover, this method will also Fix Windows 10 Random Restart Error, if any.
10. From the Dialog box, Click System Restore Button.
11. The restore point will be older than the last successful update.
12. Finally, Wait for the completion of the operation.
Try updating the Windows again and see if you apply the fix.
You shouldn’t miss these –
Method 6: Run Check Disk
It is also known CHKDSK utility tool provided by Microsoft. It is helpful to check the erroneous drives of your system that is causing the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error. The steps written below are to be performed for running the check disk utility:
1. First, Go to My Computer or My PC.
2. Then right Click on the C drive.
3. Then Select the Properties Option.
4. Afterward, from the opened Window, go to Tools Menu.
5. Under the Error Checking tab, click on the button Check Now.
6. Then ensure that you check Automatically Fix File System errors.
7. Then Click Start.
8. Finally, Reboot your System when prompted.
Try updating your Windows again and check if the issue has resolved. Also, do check for any application error like 0xc0000142.
Method 7: Reinstall your Windows 10
If the above-stated process fails to resolve the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error, then you can reinstall the Windows 10 from scratch. Reinstalling the windows may lead to loss of user data and files. So we suggest to keep the back up of all the files of importance. Before you reinstall, remember to have the product key.
Lastly, check these too –
I hope the article was useful to the readers and it solves the Windows 10 Won’t Update Error. Sometimes the error has caused due to the presence of malware, so you can scan the malware and fix it. The methods stated above are some of the best solutions and can be exercised by all kinds of users.