Windows Update is an essential part of your computer system; this essential feature enables Windows to receive, download and install critical updates that include Software stability, enhancements and also security updates. Security updates are vital to protecting your system from malware, ransomware and even hackers. Not updating your computer regularly makes your system vulnerable to any of these dangerous attacks.
Related Error: Your Connection is Not Private in Chrome
Therefore, the Windows update is necessary to keep your computer safe and running. Windows Update Not Working is a very common issue. But don’t worry as we have 7 Ways to Fix Windows Update Not Working. After following one of these ways, you will be able to overcome this problem.
Many Users across the globe have reported an issue with the Windows update that is preventing Windows Update from running correctly. The reports claim that Windows update is frozen or stuck while searching or downloading updated and no progress happens from there. Even if you leave your system for a day to download the updates, it still does not make any change.
How to Fix Windows Update Not Working
This particular issue may be caused by many reasons, like minor problems with the system files or OS. In case you are facing any such problem with your Windows Update, look no more because here we provide you with the best and proven methods to resolve the issue of Windows 7 Update Not Working. We recommend that you go through the complete article before attempting these methods.
Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
1. Click on the Windows Start Icon, then Type in “troubleshooting” in the Search bar and from the results click Troubleshooting.
2. Afterward, the troubleshooting window opens, Select View All from the left window pane.
3. Then under the Troubleshoot computer problems list click to select Windows Update.
4. Then, follow the on-screen instruction to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
5. After the troubleshooting process is completed, Finally, Restart your computer and check whether the windows update not working error is resolved.
Method 2: Make sure Windows update services are running
1. Press the Windows Key + R, in the run command window type in services.msc and hit Enter.
2. In the new window, find the following services:
• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
• Cryptographic Service
• Windows Update
• MSI Installer
3. Double click on each of these services and then make sure that their Startup Type is set to Automatic.
4. Also, check if any of the above services are stopped if so, make sure to select Start under Service Status.
5. Then, right-click on the Windows Update service and click on Restart.
6. Finally, Click Apply followed by OK and close everything.
7. Reboot your computer to save the changes that you have made. Hope this will resolve Windows 7 won’t update error.
Method 3: Run System Restore from a Restore Point
1. Press the Windows Key + R and type in ”sysdm.cpl”, then click on OK.
2. Go to the System Protection tab and from the tab choose System Restore.
3. Then, Click Next and select the desired System Restore point that you have already made.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the system restore.
Fix This: Windows 10 Store Missing Error
5. After your computer is rebooted, check if you have resolved the Windows 7 will not Update error.
Method 4: Rename the Software Distribution Folder
1. Press the Windows Key + X, and from the list select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. In the command prompt windows, type in the following commands to stop Windows Update Services completely and hit Enter after each one of these commands:
• net stop wuauserv
• net stop cryptSvc
• net stop bits
• net stop msiserver
3. Next, type in the following command so that you can rename the Software Distribution Folder and then hit Enter after you have entered the command:
• ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
• ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
4. After all these are complete, finally, type in the following commands to start Windows Update Services again. Then hit Enter after each of these commands:
• net start wuauserv
• net start cryptSvc
• net start bits
• net start msiserver
5. Restart your system to save the changes.
Method 5: Run System File Checker (SFC)
1. Press the Windows Key + X and then click on Command Prompt(Admin) from the list.
2. Now, in the command prompt window, type in the following and click OK:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
3. The process will complete in some time, once it is finished restart your computer.
Method 6: Perform Clean Boot
Maybe, at times the third party software that you have installed in your computer can conflict with Windows Update service and therefore cause the Windows Update to be Stuck or to freeze resulting in Windows Update Stuck Checking for Updates. To Fix this issue, the most straightforward method you can do is to perform a clean boot on your system. After doing a clean boot on your computer, check whether the error is resolved or not.
Method 7: Update BIOS
Even though performing the BIOS update is a critical task and requires high levels of carefulness because if something goes wrong, it can seriously damage your entire system but if done correctly it can be a good solution for the Windows Update Not Working Windows 7 Error. Anyway, we recommend expert supervision while performing this method.
1. Firstly, you must identify your BIOS version, to do so press the Windows Key + R and then type in msinfo32 and click OK. It will open System Information.
2. When the System Information window opens go through it to locate BIOS Version/Date, and then you must note down the name of the manufacturer and also the BIOS version.
3. Then, visit your manufacturer’s official website and then enter your computer’s serial number (generally found on the underside or back /side of your computer) or you can click on the auto detect option (if any).
4. Now go through the list of drivers shown on the website and then click on BIOS and download the recommended update. ( Important
Note: Do not turn off your computer or unplug your computer while updating the BIOS as doing so will harm your computer. During the update, while your computer restarts and you will see a black screen for a brief time.)
5. Once the recommended update file is downloaded, just double-click on that Exe file and run it this will install the update on your computer.
6. Finally, your computer’s BIOS has been updated and this may very well fix the Windows 7 not Updating Error.
Don’t miss these –
These methods will undoubtedly be of great assistance in resolving the issue of Windows Update Not Working. But we remind you to go through these steps very carefully before attempting any of the methods mentioned above to avoid any damage to system or software. We hope that these steps help you to resolve the problems you are facing with your windows update. Best of Luck.
- 1 How to Fix Windows Update Not Working
- 1.1 Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.2 Method 2: Make sure Windows update services are running
- 1.3 Method 3: Run System Restore from a Restore Point
- 1.4 Method 4: Rename the Software Distribution Folder
- 1.5 Method 5: Run System File Checker (SFC)
- 1.6 Method 6: Perform Clean Boot
- 1.7 Method 7: Update BIOS
- 2 Final Words