File Associations refers to the format of the file by virtue of which it opens in any windows app. In other words, it could also be termed as a relation between the file type and its supporting application. For example, if we have a File which is in the form of .txt, then this file is associated with Notepad and will open in Notepad on double click on File. But sometimes you encounter Remove File Type Associations problem of opening a file in the entirely wrong application.
So this is where you need something called Remove File Type Association. More often, sometimes file association gets corrupted, and hardly there is a way to Remove File Type Associations in Windows. And this is where it becomes more compulsory to remove file type association to troubleshoot the issue.
6 Ways to Remove File Type Associations in Windows 10
So, here are some ways that will help to Remove File Type Associations in Windows 10.
Method #1 Changing the utility in Control Panel with Default Program Editor
The default program editor can help to delete the association of the file. But as Default Program Editor is an external toolkit, it first needs to be installed in the system software. After the installation of the Default Program Editor following are the steps to be followed in the control panel to change the utility of the file type association
1. Once the Default Program Editor is installed in the system, launch the program with the Control Panel.
2. Go onto the file type settings and click onto the Delete extension option.
Upon doing the same, the File Type Associations will be deleted, and the Remove File Type Associations will be easily commanded and prompted.
Method #2 Remove File Type Associations from Registry
Unassociated, the file type from the registry can help as a permanent solution for the removal of file type association. To do so, the user needs to follow some steps to Remove File Type Associations from the registry.
1. The user at first needs to open the Registry Editor by typing “Regedit” in the start menu search.
2. Click on the extension key and open the value name. Remove all the contents of the value data and press OK. Removing all the contents of the value data doesn’t let the Window to associate the with any other thing.
3. In Regedit browse on the File Extension, delete it and then close the registry.
Method #3 Manually Removing the File Type Association for a Particular App
Manually removing file type association proves to be an excellent technique to remove the association from a particular app. To do so, the following are the steps that are to be followed.
1. At first, open notepad and click on the save as option. Next, type the name of File with the extension whose association needs to be changed.
2. Select the location where you want to save the file and select “ALL FILES” under save as type and click save.
3. Next right click your file and choose open with. In there, go to the option of selecting another app.
4. Now check onto the app with which you want to open the file and click save as for all the other files with the same format.
Method #4 With the Use of Command Prompt Restore File Type Associations
Command prompt stays a veritable tool in case you want to restore or make a change to your windows file and systems. And so, in case of remove file type association, it helps the user by resetting the file type association. To do so, the following are the steps to be followed:
1. Open the command prompt admin and type: online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:”%UserProfile%\Desktop\DefaultAppAssociations.xml.”
This will help to create a default app association file on the desktop
2. The next thing to do is copy the file to a USB. And also, the user needs to copy the messed up file to the desktop.
3. Now for restoring the original file content to the system, type the following command and press enter.
4. Reboot the system and check whether the file has been restored!
Method #5 The Use of Unrecognised File Type Association
The use of an unrecognized file type association can help to remove file type association as it gives the file no valid association, and the system can’t find the program to open the file. To do so, the following are the steps user needs to follow;
1. Make a copy of the executable file on your system. Rename the data but do not change its extension type.
2. Right-click on the file, and click on the option of open with. Now open the submenu of open with and click on to unassociate the file.
3. Now save the file with the unrecognized file type association, and your problem will be fixed.
Method #6 Reset all the Files to It’s Associated Microsoft Default
Last but not the least, associating all the files to its Microsoft default automatically removes file type association problems with the windows. To do so, the user needs to propagate onto some listed steps:
1. Open Settings on your Windows PC and open the apps on the menu of the window setting submenu.
2. Now click on the option of Default apps, which will be on the left pane.
3. Upon clicking the default app key, the option of resetting to the “Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults” will come. Click on the reset option and afterward reboot your computer to solve the remove file type association problem.
- 1 6 Ways to Remove File Type Associations in Windows 10
- 1.1 Method #1 Changing the utility in Control Panel with Default Program Editor
- 1.2 Method #2 Remove File Type Associations from Registry
- 1.3 Method #3 Manually Removing the File Type Association for a Particular App
- 1.4 Method #4 With the Use of Command Prompt Restore File Type Associations
- 1.5 Method #5 The Use of Unrecognised File Type Association
- 1.6 Method #6 Reset all the Files to It’s Associated Microsoft Default