We Couldn’t Complete the Updates, Undoing Changes is a very common issue. But don’t worry as we have 6 Ways to Fix We Couldn’t Complete the Updates, Undoing Changes. After following one of these ways you will be able to overcome this problem.
It might have occurred that you are trying to do updates recommended by your OS (Operating System) and after a while you see a message out of nowhere, stating that We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer. Advice from our side is calm down! This happens while downloading and installing the new updates, the process just got stuck and Windows could not start properly and is just showing an irritating message:
We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Do not turn off your computer.
We know a lot of your Internet data has been used up in this process and you are feeling cheated by your Operating System. But, it’s a machine after all. So, it is bound to make a few mistakes. The actual problem associated with this error is that your OS is stuck in a boot loop, Yeah! A loop that goes on and on from head to tail incessantly. There is still a ray of hope; we will help you out.
There have been many issues with Windows 10 Operating System (as was with the older versions of Windows) since its launch and you may still see more coming now and then. Even restarting your computer will not land you in a good position, but only back to this error. So, restarting the computer won’t help you out. In fact, if you restart your computer several times you may start to see some messages as below:
Installing Updates 15%
And then this message again
We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Do not turn off your computer
But as I said, it’s a machine. So, it will just trick you and your hopes will shatter after it shows 30% completed after which it will restart again from the very beginning. You can keep trying but it won’t be of any use. Before proceeding further:
NOTE: – Do not press Refresh/Reset on your Computer.
- 1 How to Fix We Couldn’t Complete the Updates, Undoing Changes
- 2 Final Words
How to Fix We Couldn’t Complete the Updates, Undoing Changes
Method 1: Delete Software Distribution Folder
This way will delete the download that was made to your computer. After which you can once again start afresh.
1. At First, Press Windows Key+X & choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
2. A black window (Command Prompt Dialog Box) will be in front of you. Then type these commands and hit Enter after typing each one of them:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptSvc
net stop msiserver
3. After that, Browse the following path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution after pressing the Windows key.
4. Then Delete all the files in that folder.
5. Again press Windows Key+X and go to Command Prompt (Admin) Dialog box as mentioned in step 1.
6. Once you have the Command Prompt Screen, Type the following commands:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
7. Restart your computer
8. Then try installing the updates again. If you still face the same issue again, restore your Computer to the date before downloading the updates.
Method 2: Manual Changes in the Control Panel
1. At First, Press the Windows key, type Settings and click on it. Now, choose Update and Security option.
2. Now look for View installed updates history in this window.
3. Click on Uninstall updates & choose the one that is the troublemaker to uninstall it manually.
4. You can now either disable or delay the option of Automatic updates, or you can go to the Official Microsoft website and download the latest updates manually from there by selecting your computer model number.
Method 3: Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter
1. At First, Open this link in your Web Browser.
2. Choose Download troubleshooter for Windows 10 if you use Windows 10 else click on Download troubleshooter for Windows 7 and Windows 8.
3. Once the file has been downloaded completely then simply, double click on it to run.
4. Then Click on Next option in the window that opens. This will start Windows Update Troubleshooter.
5. Afterwards, follow the on-screen steps as guided to complete the process. It will take sometime to detect the issues.
6. It might ask for Try troubleshooting as an administrator in the middle of scan. Simply, provide permission by clicking on it.
7. If it encounters any problem, click on Apply to fix this.
8. Try installing the updates again. We can see a big smile on your face.
Method 4: Enable App Readiness
1. At First, Press Windows Key+R together and type “services.msc” in the blank space provided.
2. Afterwards, find App Readiness option and Right-Click on it to select Properties.
3. Then set the Startup type to Automatic and click on Start option.
4. Click on OK option following Apply option and then close services window.
5. Finally, Restart your computer to fix we couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes.
Method 5: Increase the Windows System Reserved partition Size
It might be possible that your windows system reserved partition size is not sufficient for the new updates to be downloaded. Due to lack of enough storage space, the computer is not able to keep the fresh updates.
NOTE: – Uninstall BitLocker if you have it in your computer.
1. At First, Press Windows Key+X and select Disk Management option from the list.
2. Before you allocate space, you must have some unused space ready to be assigned. If you don’t have more space, try creating some by deleting a few stuff.
3. To create more space, Right-click on one the partition is shown in the Disk Management Window (Do not choose the OS partition) and select Shrink Volume option.
4. Once you are done creating new unallocated space. Then Right-Click on the Reserved partition and select Extend Volume.
5. Your work is done. Just restart your computer and hopefully, you won’t face we couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes error message again.
Method 6: Some other Alternative Fix
If the methods mentioned above are not of any help to you, then you may move to this approach to try your luck. We will need CCleaner for this. If you don’t have this software, download and install it beforehand.
1. At First, Run CCleaner software for fixing the registry issues.
2. Then create a new Admin account to install the updates from that account.
3. It will be of more help if you know which update is causing the trouble, you can download it manually from here. (Runs in Internet Explorer only)
4. If you have any VPN installed in your Computer, Delete it.
5. Then Disable the Antivirus and Firewall.
6. Finally, try installing the updates again.
The methods mentioned above will solve your problem if we couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes. These methods are useful if you can log on your Windows. Next, time if you face such message just head our way, we will surely help you by all means possible.