If you use Google Chrome browser generally, you might come across the error this site cannot be reached. This is a very annoying thing to encounter. Especially if you really need to open a web page quickly.
There are many reasons for this error. Your DNS server may not be responding. Your Chrome browser is not running on the latest version. The TLS version may not be suitable. Many more issues can cause this error.
Actually, there is no need to be perplexed. Here I will provide you with some possible solutions. They will help in deleting the error or minimize it.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix This Site Cannot Be Reached Error in Chrome
- 2 Conclusion
How to Fix This Site Cannot Be Reached Error in Chrome
Below is the compilation of solutions which can fix the problems mentioned above:
Method 1: Changing Maximum Allowed TLS Version
- At first, Go to Google Chrome browser.
- Then type chrome://flags in the address bar.
- Then scroll below. You will find a drop-down option with name Maximum TLS version-enabled.
- Afterward, Select version TLS 1.3. It is set to Default earlier.
After setting this, restart your browser. You shall not have to hit the save button. Soon the settings are automatically saved in it. Now open a web page which was giving an error this site can’t be reached. Hopefully, you shall not encounter it. And you will reach your required page easily.
Method 2: Disable Experimental QUIC Protocol
QUIC stands for Quick UDP Internet Connection. It helps to provide security protection to TLS as well as SSL. It does this with reduced connection and transport latency.
In some cases, if you disable this protocol, you can open your web page. And it shall give no error. Use the following steps to disable the protocol.
- At first, Navigate to the Google Chrome browser.
- Afterward, Type chrome://flags in the address bar.
- Then scroll below. You will find a drop-down option with name Experimental QUIC Protocol.
- Afterward, an option is selected as Default previously. Then choose Disabled within it.
After you set this, close your web browser. Now open it, and try visiting the web page which was generating the error this site cannot be reached chrome. You can open your required page.
Method 3: Reset TCP/IP Stack
Sometimes the TCP/IP is the cause of the problem. It cannot establish proper communication with web pages over the internet. Resetting it can also help solve the issue. Follow the steps below:
- At First, Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges by pressing Windows Key+X.
- Then there are some commands below. Then enter them one by one. Press Enter key after each command.
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
- After running all these commands, simply, restart your system. This will apply the changes made. However, this fix might also lead to err network changed in Google Chrome, so make sure that you do it correctly.
Method 4: Restart DNS Client
The DNS Client can sometimes cause the error. Restarting your DNS Client can also help address this issue. To perform this, go through the following steps:
- At first, Go to the Start Menu.
- Then type “Services” & right-click on Services to Run as Administrator.
- Furthermore, You will be able to see a list of services. Find DNS Client from the list.
- Afterwards, when you find it, select the option Restart from the left panel.
After you do this, close all your windows. Now just restart your system. Then open Google Chrome, and your required web page. The error this site cannot be reached took too long to respond issue.
Method 5: Change Your IPV4 DNS Address
Changing to the Google public DNS server address as your Internet Protocol Version 4 can solve the error. Follow the given steps to change your IPv4 DNS address.
- At first, Right-click on the Network icon in your Task Bar.
- Furthermore, Click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Then click your Network Connections.
- Afterwards, click on Properties.
- Then double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option.
- Afterwards, enter this Google public DNS server address:
- Then tick Validate settings upon exit. Then Click on OK.
- Finally, go to the website again. It should work now.
Method 6: Reset Your Chrome Browser Settings
You may have made changes within your browser itself. The changes made may not be entirely desirable. Soon this hampers the working of the application. Reset all of your browser settings to see if things turn to normal. This can also fix Google Chrome has stopped working, if its happening too.
- At first, Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Then open a new tab.
- Then type chrome://flags in the address bar and Press Enter.
- Afterwards, Click on Reset all to default.
- Finally, Reboot your system. Open your browser, and check if the error this site can’t be reached the connection was reset is gone.
But, most of our readers have reported that they face the err connection reset error in Google Chrome after the fix. So make sure you perform the fix correctly.
Method 7: Reinstall Chrome
All of the above techniques may solve your problem. If the error still exists, try reinstalling the browser again. Refreshing it is sometimes the only best option available.
- At First, press Windows Key+R & type Control Panel in the search box.
- Then click on Uninstall a Program from all the available options.
- Finally, navigate to C:\Users\%your_name%\AppData\Local\Google\ and delete everything inside this folder.
- Afterward, go to the official Google Chrome website to download Google Chrome Browser again.
- Finally, run the newly downloaded browser and see if you can reach your required webpage. Hope this will resolve the site cannot be reached issue easily.
This site cannot be reached error can be very frustrating at times. Time is of significant value, so we are here to solve all your dilemmas and help you get rid of your problems. Some users also say that they get the similar DNS Probe Finished No Internet in Chrome error using some of the methods above.
Of course, all the above-given methods work satisfactorily. Afterwards, try all of them in order. Hopefully, you will be able to Fix This Site Cannot Be Reached Error and visit your web page easily.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂