The media creation tool allows you to download a Windows 10 installation file onto a USB flash drive. However, after Windows 10 19H1 update, several users are facing the error 0x80042405 0xa001b. Reports say that the trouble arises only when you use a USB drive or bootable media. If you have a 1903 OS installed on your PC, you won’t face these errors.
In this article, we have mentioned all the possible ways to deal with the Windows 10 media creation tool error 0x80042405 0xa001b. You can check out how to fix Windows Update Errors here.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Error Code 0x80042405 0xa001b
- 2 Solutions to Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 0xa001b
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
What Is Error Code 0x80042405 0xa001b
Media creation tool is used to make a bootable USB drive or flash drive to install Windows OS on another system. Many-a-times, users face an error while doing the same.
There are two error codes that branch out from the error code 0x80042405: 0x80042405 0xa001a and 0x80042405 0xa001b.
As mentioned earlier, error 0x80042405 0xa001b arises when you download the Windows 10 installation file.
When examined, we found that the error arises when the tool fails to boot or format your USB. Read the article entirely to know about various methods to deal with the error.
Solutions to Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 0xa001b
Below, we have mentioned how to troubleshoot the error code 0x80042405 0xa001b.
Method #0 Use Advanced System Repair Pro (Strongly Recommended)
- Download this PC Repair Tool rated as "Excellent" on TrustPilot.com.
- Click on Start Scan button to find errors related to Windows.
- Click Repair All to fix all issues with Patented Technologies.
Ensure That Your USB has Enough Space
As we all know, Windows OS takes up humongous storage. Just the ISO file may take up to 5 GB of space. Moreover, suppose you have any critical files in the USB present. In that case, it is advisable to have a backup with you because several users have reported their USB getting corrupted or infected with viruses.
Download and Install The Windows Media Creation Tool Directly To The USB Flash Drive
Generally, users download the media creation tool on the PC. To fix the error 0x80042405 0xa001b, you can try downloading the media creation tool directly on the USB and run from it.
While downloading the tool from the Microsoft Edge browser, it displays options: Run, Save, and Cancel. Select the save option and further select Save As option, and download the media creation tool on your USB Flash Drive.
After that, open your USB drive and right-click on the media creation tool. From the list, select the run as administrator option.
Format the USB Flash Drive
Press the Windows key + E to open the file explorer in Windows 10. Select this PC option from the list on the left. Right-click on the USB device and select the Format option.
Once the formatting is complete, you can go ahead and use the media creation tool again.
Reset The Media Creation Tool
Before we move to the ways to solve the 0x80042405 0xa001b error using various methods, it is best to reset the tool first. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + S keys to open the Search box.
- Type Control Panel and then hit Enter key.
- Further, select Large Icons under the “View by” section on the top right corner.
- Subsequently, locate and select File Explorer Options.
- Next, tap the View tab, activate the Show hidden files, folders, and drives radio button.
- Hit OK to confirm the changes.
- Press Windows + E keys to launch the File Explorer.
- Click on the This PC option and go to the root drive.
- Henceforth, navigate to the following path- $windows.~WS and $windows.~BT
- Once found, tap and delete the same.
- You may now download and install Windows 10 using bootable media without getting the Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 0xa001b.
Convert MBR to GPT
This is an optimum way to clean install Windows. It will surely solve any cause behind the error 0x80042405 0xa001b.
Follow the steps to convert MBR to GPT.
- Go to the Search and type cmd in the text box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and choose the Run as administrator option.
- If UAC prompts, tap Yes.
- Type Diskpart and then press the Enter key.
- Further, execute the list disk command. Here, we have used Disk 0.
- Henceforth, run these commands one after another.
- Now you can create the bootable drive without any errors.
Re-Partition USB Drive with DiskPart
Whenever the USB flash drive is formatted incorrectly, you come across an issue known as a partitioning issue in your USB.
You can use DiskPart and troubleshoot the issue. Follow the steps to do so:
- Search for CMD in the Start Menu.
- Right-click on the result and choose Run as an administrator.
- Type in DiskPart and press the Enter key.
- After that, type list disk and press Enter. Check the number of your USB disk by comparing the size of the disk.
- Once you have found your disk number, select the disk by entering “select disk X”. X is your disk number.
- Now, type “clean” and press Enter. This will clean the disk.
- Type “create partition primary”.
- Select partition 1 for selecting the recently generated partition.
- Type “Active” and press Enter. This will make the partition active.
- Finally, we are ready to format the drive. For that, type “format fs=ntfs quick” and press the Enter key.
- At this point, we have to assign the driver a letter simply. To do so, type in “assign letter=g” and press enter.
- Once you have done that, enter “exit” to close out DiskPart. Further, close the command prompt window.
- Open the Windows Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB drive to see if the 0x80042405 0xa001b error is still there.
See Also: 7 Ways to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712
Install KB4505903 Update
This update was developed to address the issue of the error 0x80042405 0xa001b.
Follow the steps to install the update:
- First of all, make your way to the Microsoft Update Catalog website by clicking here.
- Then search for KB4505903.
- Download the update by clicking the Download button after ensuring that you have selected the required version for your device.
- Once the update has been downloaded, simply run the file and wait for it to complete.
- Restart your system to finish installing the update, and then run the Windows Media Creation Tool to see if the error 0x80042405 0xa001b is still there.
Why is the media creation tool used?
The media creation tool is used to copy and install the Windows OS on another PC. The tool makes your Windows 10 installer bootable and thus allows you to copy it on a USB Flash drive.
Why is my media creation tool not working?
The media creation tool may stop working at times. This may be due to various reasons. The system displays the error code with the error message for detailed information.
What is error code 0x80042405?
The error code 0x80042405 means the windows file you are trying to copy is corrupted. It can be because of many reasons. The two offshoots of this error are 0x80042405 0xa001a and 0x80042405 0xa001b.
Copying the Windows Installer and installing it on another PC is a great feature. The media Creation tool makes the installer bootable, thus making it possible to store in a USB drive.
Nevertheless, while doing so, many users face various problems. When you encounter an error in the process, the system will then display an error message mentioning the error code along with it. We can troubleshoot the error and carry on the other process smoothly using these details.
In this article, we have discussed various ways to deal with the error code 0x80042405 0xa001b. If nothing works for you, you may have to try using a different PC or USB entirely.
As a technology news reporter based in India with diverse knowledge of covering stories for Microsoft products, my job at ValidEdge is to bring the latest fixes of Windows Errors and even of other errors in a precise and unbiased way.
My experience includes managing technology websites, writing/editing articles, and delivering well-researched how-to guides in a timely manner.