Application error 0xc0000142 is a big headache. Once or a while you must have come across this error. It occurs mainly due to the damage in library files to open a game or an application.
You might as well get this error after updating your computer to Windows 10. People also get this error because of the corrupted software. Although it’s difficult to figure out which one but yes, there’s a way to find out.
If you are facing such issues with your computer, no worries. In this article, you are going to learn how to get rid of the error code. So, all you have to do is follow the below steps carefully.
- 1 How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142
- 1.1 Method #1 Repair the Corrupted Programme
- 1.2 Method #2 Compatibility Mode
- 1.3 Method #3 Update Graphics Card Drivers
- 1.4 Method #4 Download Latest C++, DirectX & .Net Framework
- 1.5 Method #5 Modify the Registry
- 1.6 Method #6 Download DLL Files
- 1.7 Method #7 Uninstall Unknown Programs
- 1.8 Method #8 Change the Value of LoadAppInit_DLLs
- 2 Conclusion
How to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142
Method #1 Repair the Corrupted Programme
So, let’s start with the basic. As you’ve learned earlier, the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) is caused due to the malfunctioning or the corruption of the application you are trying to use.
Therefore, firstly you need to remove or repair the corrupted files from your system. Also, if an application couldn’t be fixed, the best way to get rid of it is to uninstall it from your PC. Here are the steps you need to follow to uninstall any particular programme:
1. First, press Win + R.
2. Then type Control Panel in the box and press Enter.
3. Afterward, choose Programme and Features.
4. And now right-click on the programme you want to uninstall and choose ‘Uninstall’.
Method #2 Compatibility Mode
Running the programme on the compatibility mode seems to help a lot of people. So before going to any complicated method, you must try to run that game or the application in Compatibility mode. I’ll take less than a minute. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. At First, right-click on the Application (giving application error 0xc0000142) & select Properties. Such as in my case it’s Opera browser.
2. Now, go to the Compatibility tab.
3. Afterward, click on Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
Try rerunning the application. If works, save the setting but if it still doesn’t run, follow the following steps:
1. At first, put a check mark on Run this programme in compatibility mode.
2. Then select the operating system of the driver you are using.
3. Simply put a tick mark on Run this programme as an Administrator.
4. Finally, apply these changes and exit. Try running that application again and it should work this time.
Method #3 Update Graphics Card Drivers
Sometimes these kinds of errors can arise due to the defect or malfunctioning of the graphics card driver you are using. It might happen to be corrupted due to the virus or the adware present on your computer. The best way to get rid of it is to update the graphics card driver.
Downloading the software from the legitimate website gives the best result. Also, here’s the link to the official website of Nvidia Graphic card.
Note: – If you are updating or graphics drivers, always make sure you are doing it from the official website. Downloading it from some other sites might have bugs and malware in them which is one of the primary sources of the virus.
Method #4 Download Latest C++, DirectX & .Net Framework
Just as the cause of the error 0xc0000142 could be due to the defect or malware present in the Graphics driver, similarly, it could also be because of the bugs or adware present in the C++, .Net Framework & DirectX module on the system.
And again, the best way to get rid of it and fix it is to Download or Update C++, .Net Framework & DirectX module present on your computer.
Download C++ latest version from here.
Download DirectX latest version from this link.
Download latest version of.Net Framework from here.
Method #5 Modify the Registry
Just in case if some programmes were not deleted properly, it could be the cause of application error 0xc0000142 and make cmd.exe unable to start properly. To fix this, you can enter the Registry editor to clean up the segments. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. At first, Press Win + R.
2. Then type “regedit” in the dialogue box.
3. Afterward, go to the location given below in the Registry Editor:
4. From the right column, delete the segments of the programme.
5. Once you’ve made the required changes, close the window and reboot your PC.
Note: Changing the registry could be a little risky if you don’t have much technical knowledge about this stuff. It’s recommended not to change the registry in case of 100% disk, Mouse not working and freezing of the computer.
Method #6 Download DLL Files
Error 0xc0000142 can also be caused due to the unsigned DLL files. It’s a simple problem which can be quickly vanished by replacing those files with the new ones. Here are the steps that you need to follow to fix this problem:
1. At first, download the new DLL files from here.
2. Then go to the location where you downloaded these files and copy them.
3. Now, go to the location where you’ve installed the application which the showing the error 0xc0000142.
4. Paste the downloaded files in the application folder.
The system might ask if you want to replace the files or just skip, then always press Replace.
Method #7 Uninstall Unknown Programs
If you have some unknown programs installed on your system, you need to uninstall them as they might behave unexpectedly. Such as Search Protect, SW Booster or Performance Optimizer are to be uninstalled.
1. Open Start Menu & navigate to Control Panel. You can also use Win+X shortcut keys for the same.
2. Click on Uninstall a Program.
3. Also, find and uninstall unwanted programs as mentioned above.
4. Check again for the error.
Method #8 Change the Value of LoadAppInit_DLLs
1. Press Windows Key+R together to open Run.
2. In the opened window type “regedit” and hit OK.
3. In the registry editor, navigate to the following location:
4. Double-click on LoadAppInit_DLLs and then a pop-up would open up.
5. Change its Value data from 1 to 0.
6. Click on OK to confirm and exit from this.
7. Now, check for the Application Error 0xc0000142.
Also, read – 3 Ways to Fix MMC Could Not Create the Snap-In
If you have followed every step mentioned, the error 0xc0000142 should be vanished by now. So, you can enjoy your game or the application again.
Also, I would like to remind you again that be careful with the deleting part as you might delete something which is essential to the system to function. In that case, it’ll cause more significant problems.
And if you are downloading any software such as Graphics driver, always do it from a legitimate website to avoid malware, Virus and further trouble. I hope this article was useful to you.