Many users have reported the Steam Missing File Privileges error in Windows 10 while trying to Update or install their steam games. This error message pops up with the path to the mentioned file also. This error may be caused by some reasons, which include the hardware and software configuration of the user. Mostly, this error is a minor one and is quickly resolved with a good solutions.
- 1 How to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges Error in Windows 10
- 1.1 Method 1: Stopping the igfxEm process
- 1.2 Method 2: Changing the download region
- 1.3 Method 3: Rebooting PC
- 1.4 Method 4: Giving administrator privileges to Steam
- 1.5 Method 5: Granting full control to affected file
- 1.6 Method 6: Repairing the Library Folder and verifying its integrity
- 1.7 Method 7: Deleting files in safe mode
- 2 Final Words
How to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges Error in Windows 10
Here we provide you with the best and most potential methods that can resolve this error. We recommend that you read the complete article before attempting any of the given ways so that you can choose the best method suited for your system.
Method 1: Stopping the igfxEm process
The igfxEM.exe is one of the software components included in the Intel Common User Interface. This software comes as a standard package along with the installation of Microsoft Windows and its graphics card drivers. This software acts as a kind of middleware that stays between the user and Intel Graphics. This component enables users to view and adjust the characteristics and settings of the Graphic card using the provided GUI.
igfxEM is an abbreviation for Intel Graphics Executable Main Module. This .exe file is from a very trustworthy site and included a signed digital signature, therefore is completely nonharmful for your computer. It is an exe file. But, since the file is not a Windows core file and not visible, it exists in the fixed location: (C:\\Windows\System32\igdxEm.exe).
We are mentioning the exact location because, in case you found the .exe file anywhere else, beware because it most probably is a harmful malware. Since this process is responsible for the graphics processes, it is recommended that stopping and restarting this service may resolve the error you are facing.
1. Press the Windows key + R and then in the run command dialogue box type in “taskmgr,” then hit enter.
2. When the task manager opens, go to the processes tab and look for the igfxEM process.
3. Once you have found service, right click and select end the process and then restart your Steam client using administrator and Start downloading the game again and see if the missing file privileges steam error is resolved.
Method 2: Changing the download region
Changing the download region is said to be one of the most fundamental and easy solutions to the steam missing file privileges error in steam. It is because Steam content system is divided into many different regions. Your steam client automatically searches and detects your region through the help of your network and then sets the detected region as default.
But at times, this may cause the error as servers in a specific region may be not working correctly as they are overloaded or maybe having a hardware failure. In that case, changing the download region of your steam client may solve the error fast and quickly.
1. Open your Steam client and then click on ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu in the upper left corner of the steam window.
2. Click on the ‘Downloads’ options and then navigate to the ‘Download Region’ option.
3. Select any of the other regions in the list other than the one that has currently set as default, then restart Steam and check the error.
Method 3: Rebooting PC
Sometimes, something as easy as restarting your PC may be the solution to your problem. It can be a very potential solution as your computer may at times experience minute technical errors that may not be very visible but are causing these errors. When steam is downloading or updating a game, it has multiple processes running at the same time.
Whenever you are updating or downloading a game in steam, the software divides the data of these games into small pieces of 1MB and then assembles these pieces so that they can perform their roles correctly. Steam used this method to avoid corrupt downloads and also to save a right amount of your bandwidth.
So, we recommend restarting your computer to see whether the error steam missing file privileges get resolved. We also strongly suggest that you avoid running any other software or program while steam is downloading, to prevent interference with the download or update process.
Method 4: Giving administrator privileges to Steam
To perform seamlessly, Steam requires two things that are to Read and Write on your computer system. It may interfere mostly when your computer treats steam like a Read Only program. Which essentially means steam won’t be able to write on the different files and therefore gets stuck while trying to Download or Update the program which includes writing on the system.
So, if this is the reason, then the best solution we can try is to grant steam with the Administrator Privileges.
1. Open your Steam directory from its default location that is: (C:\Program Files\Steam). In case you have installed steam in any other custom directory then browse to that location.
2. Once you have reached the Steam folder, right click on it and then select Properties. On the properties window, go to the Security tab and then click on the Advanced option.
3. In the next window, edit the first 4 rows and grant the full folder control.
4. To edit a row, Click on it and then click the button named Edit. A new window will popup which includes all the options in the form of checkboxes. Check all of the checkboxes including the Full Control. Click on Apply to save the changes, and then close everything. Do the same for all the 4 editable rows.
5. Launch steam, by right-clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. Check whether the steam missing file privileges error has resolved or not.
Method 5: Granting full control to affected file
The same error as the one mentioned above can occur with the affected file in the steam directory. You can navigate to the specific file in the steam folder and then grant it full access so that the error can be resolved quickly without the need of issuing the full permission to every file in the folder. To use this method, you must pinpoint the exact file that is affected by this error. The path to the location of the affected file will be mentioned along with the error message. So you don’t have to search anywhere more for it.
1. Browse to the exact location by using the Run application, or you can navigate to the location yourself. Another method you can find the steam client directory is to go to the library tab in steam and then right click on the game showing the error, then select properties. The path will be visible there.
2. Once you have located the file that is affected by the error, follow the same steps mentioned in Method 4 to grant full administrator privileges and access to the specific file.
3. Restart Steam and check whether the steam missing file privileges error persists.
Method 6: Repairing the Library Folder and verifying its integrity
There is a great possibility that the Steam Library Folder that you are using may be corrupt and has not configured correctly. It can also be pointing out the issue that your game files, at times may not be completely present and this means that some of these game files may be missing due to some reason.
The Verify Integrity of Game files is an option that will try to fix your games, and this tool also helps you to download and install the game files if any of them are corrupt or missing. To use the Verify Integrity tool, follow these steps below.
1. Open your Steam client, and then click on the steam icon at the upper left corner of the window and from the drop-down menu, click on settings.
2. After the settings open, got to the Downloads tab and click on Steam Library Folders that you found at the top.
3. A new small window will open, that lists all the locations in your system where steam has installed. Also steam has used the storage space. Right click on it and then select Repair Steam Library.
4. Once you carried out these steps, then you can move on to the Verify Integrity of the Game Files present.
5. Exit the settings and then go to your games library.
6. Right click on the game which is causing the error and then choose Properties.
7. In the properties, navigate to the Local Files Tab and then click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files Option. Steam will then automatically starts to verify all the files present for the games. If there is any missing file, then it will download those particular files again. And, it would then replace it with the corrupted file accordingly.
Method 7: Deleting files in safe mode
If none of these methods work, then you can try to delete all the files related to the game. So the steam an download the files right from the beginning, avoiding errors and corruptions.
Entering your computer using the safe mode disables all the extra software and processes that are running and therefore allows you to perform administrative actions much more efficiently, without any interruptions. Firstly, you must note down the exact location of the file that is causing the error in steam. You can use the same methods that we have used in Method 5 to pinpoint the location of the affected file. After you have noted down the location, then enter your computer in safe mode.
1. Get your computer to boot in safe mode. You can do this quickly by selecting from the various options available in your startup. Select the ‘Enable Safe Mode with Networking’ option.
2. Once you have successfully booted your computer and entered safe mode, navigate to the file location that you have noted earlier.
3. After you reach the Steamapps list, click on the particular folder which says “download.” Delete all the contents of the download folder.
4. Then again Restart your computer.
5. Launch steam using administrator access, then again follow the steps mentioned in Method 6 to Verify the Library and Integrity of the Game files before again starting your download,
6. Check whether the Steam Missing File Privileges Error has resolved or not
Don’t miss these –
These are the best and proven methods that you can use to resolve the steam missing file privileges error in steam. Be sure to go through these steps carefully before attempting any of these methods to avoid any mistakes. We hope that these methods helped you to resolve the problems you are facing with your steam client.