Nowadays, working on computers and laptops is very common. Every working sector includes computers in some or other ways. Computer errors can be very frustrating and cause a lot of time waste, and one of these errors is the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine.
This error occurs when users try playing virtual machines inside the application of the VMware workstation. We can define a virtual machine as the emulation of a computer system. Computer architectures are the basis of the virtual machine and help us by providing the system’s functionality. It is a computer resource that helps run the programs and apps using the system software. VMs work independently from each other and also the host machine. You can run the different OS (operating systems) on various virtual machines simultaneously. A VM provides us many benefits, including cost efficiency, more speed, efficiently scaling of the applications, security benefits, and many more. Despite all the advantages VMs offer us, we can still face errors while running them.
In this article, we will see various reasons and methods to fix the error: the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine.
Table of Contents
- 1 More About The VMware Workstation And Error
- 2 Reasons Behind The Error
- 3 Method To Fix The Error
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
More About The VMware Workstation And Error
VMware Workstation is a hypervisor that allows the users to connect various virtual machines with a single host machine and run them simultaneously. The application runs on the Linux and windows operating systems of version x64. It provides a lot of advantages to the users that include evaluation of new OS easily, referring architectures in a safe environment, and easy testing of software patches and applications.
Errors like- the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine or a fault has occurred, causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state occurs while running virtual machines (VMs) inside the VMware application. The image functioning properly suddenly reflects the error. The error is not associated with the operating system. There can be various reasons which cause these errors. We will discuss them and the methods to resolve the error.
Reasons Behind The Error
We will discuss some of the common reasons leading to the error.
Incorrect Start Of The Guest Machines
It is possible that the VMs you are trying to connect and run in the application is not able to start correctly. This is one of the main reasons which leads to the error.
Breaching Of The License Agreement
Another reason leading to the error can be that your CPU is incompatible with the set-up.
And the CPU ID is breaching the guest operating system license agreement. Making the ID can help fix the error.
An Outdated VMware Application
Some systems are incompatible to update the VMware applications. And it is possible that your application is not up-to-date and is causing the CPU disabling error message.
Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-X) helps the VMware application run. It is possible that the technology is disable by the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) settings.
See Also: 7 Best VR Game Engine Software In 2022
Method To Fix The Error
We will look at the different methods that can help you fix the error: the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine.
Resetting The Machine
The process of resetting the virtual machine can help you to fix the error. The steps are-
- On the dashboard screen of the virtual datacenters. Choose the virtual machine after clicking the data centre card you want to explore.
- Click the option to view the card list and filter the virtual machines’ list from the menu that will appear.
- From the menu- Actions, select the machine you want to reset and click on the reset button.
Changing BIOS Settings For Virtualization
A disable virtualization technology can lead to the error: the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine. And enabling it can fix the error and the steps are-
- Open BIOS settings on your computer. You can press the f2 key present on the computer’s keyboard.
- Then open the security tab and choose system security.
- You will see the option of VT-X. Enable it and apply the changes.
- Restart your PC.
Creating Another Guest Engine
You can try making another guest engine on your VMware application in order to fix the error. The steps are-
- Open your workstation application and click on Home.
- Select the option- Create the new virtual machine from the options that will display.
- Choose the Installer disc image file from the new window that will appear.
- Click on the browser option and press next.
- Fill in all the details in the window appearing and again press next.
- Now fill all the boxes available under the Virtual machine.
- Click on next and restart your PC.
Masking CPU ID
Masking the CPU ID is vital to prevent the breaching of the guest operating system license and fix the error. The steps are-
- Open any note editor on your PC. If your PC does not have an editor, install it. Read this article, if you also want to know about video editor.
- Open your workstation application and change the ISO image mode to Power off.
- Choose the guest engine and click on the Edit virtual machine settings.
- Open the Hardware pane and choose the Hard disk and copy its path.
- Now open File explorer on your computers.
- Tick the checkbox of the files name extension present under the tab of VMs file location.
- Right-click on the file having the .vmx extension.
- Choose the option of edit with notepad.
- Write: cupid.1.eax = “0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101.” under the code file.
- Exit your program after applying the changes and restart your device.
Turn Off The Subsystems
This particular method is helpful for those using Linux operating system. It is possible that turning off all the windows subsystems can help to fix the error: the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine. The steps are-
- Open the control panel on your device.
- Please select the Program option and click on it.
- Choose the option- Turn the windows feature on or off from the new window that will appear.
- Untick the options of virtual machine platform and windows subsystem. Press Ok.
- Restart your PC
Is VMware workstation free?
VMware Workstation has a free version which is mainly available for using it for Home, personal or non-commercial use. Organizations and commercial companies need a license to use it.
Does the error occur due to the operating system?
The operating system is not the problem behind the error. There can be many other different reasons behind the error, like the application is not up-to-date, virtualization technology is disable, CPU ID breaching the license, guest machines not starting correctly, and many more.
What are various ways to fix the error?
You can follow various ways to fix the errors, which include resetting or modifying the workstation application, enabling the virtualization technology, masking the CPU ID, turning off the subsystems for Linux, creating another guest engine, and many more.
Can I fix the error by myself?
Yes, you can fix the error by yourself. Follow all the methods step by step, and you can fix the error without external guidance. The process will also not consume a lot of time.
It can be frustrating for any user to face computer errors while working. Virtual machines are beneficial for a user but can face some errors like- the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system, Power off or reset the virtual machine. You can fix this error by following all the methods without time wastage and difficulty. You can also visit the official site and ask your problem for guidance.
As a technology news reporter based in India with diverse knowledge of covering stories for Microsoft products, my job at ValidEdge is to bring the latest fixes of Windows Errors and even of other errors in a precise and unbiased way.
My experience includes managing technology websites, writing/editing articles, and delivering well-researched how-to guides in a timely manner.