Your Computer is Low on Memory Error. This error is like a self-made mistake. Windows is both one of the most amazing and the most annoying operating systems out there. While it provides us with all the required tools (at least basic level ones) out of the box, it bogs us down with those pointless windows updates which contribute no significant improvements to the overall system functionality.
But that is a problem which we all deal with by disabling automatic windows updates. I’ve gotten into my typing shoes for another purpose right now.
In the realm of offensive messages that windows like to throw on our faces, the computer low on memory message is notoriously famous.
It wouldn’t be much of an issue to live with 1 gigabyte of free space in the HDD if it did not cause any problems to the normal functioning of other processes in my PC. So, we need to do something about this GB scarcity.
It turns out that this error message cannot be fixed using traditional methods of troubleshooting and reboot cycles. But not to worry, mate!
Once you have gone through the pain of reading my words through this article, you will know 4 ways of fixing your computer is low on prompt memory message.
Why should you be bothered with this article?
Well, reason number 1: You clicked on the search result! But besides that, when your computer is low on memory Windows 10, you are also running out of precious logical memory space.
If you don’t know what that means, just do this. Your computer system and its supporting functions will not run properly if there is not enough virtual memory to go around.
So whether you give a damn about keeping your computer at optimum performance or not, you need to show some mercy on the thing and cure its ailment caused by memory deficiency. Continue to scroll down and see how you do it.
How to Fix Your Computer is Low on Memory Error
Method 1: Scan Your System
Before you put your deleting shoes on and start removing files in a desperate attempt to make some room in the drives, you need to make sure that this message is showing up due to legit depletion of the virtual memory, and not because of some cheeky malware.
The easiest way to verify this is to give your system a once-over by scanning for malware and viruses. To do this, you can use any of the antivirus tools available. You can use the windows defender, which is built in.
But I recommend using an external software which does the job a lot better. If you can’t be asked to download another software for this, here is how to check using the windows defender.
1. At First, Go to the Windows search box by pressing Win+S and search for the defender. Click on Windows Defender settings from the search result.
2. Then click on Open Windows Defender Security Center.
3. Press on the shied like icon that you see on the side panel. A new window opens up.
4. Click on Advanced scan option. Select the Full Scan option in the window that follows this option and select scan option.
It will scan the whole system for potential threats such as malware and Trojans that might be causing this false message to trigger. If they are found, they will be listed, after which you can quickly eliminate them with just a click of the button.
Method 2: Manage the running programs
When there are way too many unwanted programs running in the background, eating up disk usage bandwidth, you might get the same your computer is low on memory message. To get rid of that, you just need to close those cumbersome processes that you might not be in need of at the moment. Monitoring this is effortless.
1. First of all, open Task Manager. My preferred way of doing that is through the CTRL+Shift+ESC key combination. You can also right-click on the taskbar to do that.
2. After the task manager is open, select the Processes tab & click on memory tab. Then you can click on the heading to sort the entries in wither their ascending or descending order of their sizes.
3. Afterward, see which app comes up on top with the most amount of Memory usage. Select it and click on the End task button to close it and free some of that precious memory. In my case, it is usually Firefox browser. All browsers as feature loaded as that are typically pretty heavy memory chompers.
Method 3: Increase Virtual Memory Size
If doing the above simple steps did not seem to help, you will manually have to increase the virtual memory size on your machine. Follow these simple steps to do increase your virtual memory space and get rid of your computer is low on memory error message.
1. At first, head over to windows searches again by pressing Win+S and search for Advanced System Settings. Click on the top search result you get. Or an as alternative Press Windows Key+R & type “sysdm.cpl” in the dialog box.
2. Then click on the tab that says Advanced. Under the box that says Performance, click on the Settings button.
3. When a new window pops up, go to its Advanced tab again and then click on the Change under the virtual memory options.
4. Furthermore, uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
5. Afterward, click on Drive (Volume Label) and select the Custom Size option.
6. Then add a size higher than what you had previously set and click set. After this, you can choose it to be the maximum size as well.
So, doing this will increase the initial size of virtual memory of the system, which might’ve been congested for your current usage.
Method 4: Clean up temporary files
There is always a problem with a bunch of temporary files and folders eating up storage space. Often, the otherwise useful cache and other registries prove to be the culprits behind the reduction in available memory. So they need to go!
1. There is a built-in tool called Disk cleanup, which does the job pretty well. You need to launch it by searching for the same in the windows search box.
2. Afterward, choose the disk that you want to target for cleanup. At this stage, I suggest you target the C drive first. It will show how much of the actual memory can be freed after cleanup.
3. At last, click on the Clean up system files option and wait. After its done, click on OK.
Consequently, this should clean your system’s temporary files and folders along with the unnecessary items as well. Often, it helps in getting rid of your computer is low on memory message. Enjoy your fresh, clean system.