For users who upgraded their system to Windows 10, they have complained about the error of internal microphone not working anymore. The apps you have installed on your Windows 10 will not encounter your internal microphone, and if you change the BIOS setting, it’s not enough to get this issue of the microphone not working fixed. Windows 10 doesn’t work efficiently with specific recording devices even if the devices are built into the system. Read this article, if you hear what other people are communicating to you but Discord is not detecting mic.
First of all, make sure to check that it’s not the hardware issue because it is noticed that most of the errors are caused with the microphone are due to the Settings issue and not the microphone itself. So, it’s better to check that your microphone is not faulty or damaged.
You can quickly do that by connecting the microphone to another system, and if it doesn’t work then entirely it’s an issue with your faulty microphone! The issue of microphone not working is a recurring problem in Windows 10. A number of audio issues with Windows 10 leaving people unable to use certain apps, unable to play videos or hear anything from speakers.
Must Check: Fix Laptop Sound Not Working
The most common source of the sound issue is poor communication between the chip or sound card and Windows 10. This usually leads to the failure of your sound or say microphone. Windows will not always search for the right audio drivers on own. So, it’s better to visit the manufacturer’s site for the sound card. But fortunately, there are several ways to make your sound and Windows 10 hardware compatible. For this, all you need is a search for the right updates! There are many reasons for Microphone not working in Windows 10 like incorrect microphone settings, hardware problems, broken drivers, etc.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix Microphone Not Working in Windows 10
- 1.1 Solution 1: Reset Windows Audio Service
- 1.2 Solution 2: Change the format of Audio
- 1.3 Solution 3: Check the hardware
- 1.4 Solution 4: Uninstall or reinstall your microphone drivers
- 1.5 Solution 5: Disable the Audio Enhancements
- 1.6 Solution 6: Use the Troubleshooter
- 1.7 Solution 7: Turn on Microphone in Settings of Windows 10
- 1.8 Solution 8: Update Windows 10 high definition audio device
How to Fix Microphone Not Working in Windows 10
If you are facing this issue of Windows 10 Microphone not working, then you could try these eight solutions below to fix your microphone.
Solution 1: Reset Windows Audio Service
This service is authorized for sound on your system that includes recording as well! So, if something goes wrong with this service, you will be facing the issue of the microphone. To resolve this issue, go through the below-given steps:
1. First, go to Run then type services.msc. Click OK.
2. Then, open the Services and search for Windows Audio service.
3. If it’s not enabled, right-click on it and choose Start or Restart, if it is enabled.
4. After the process finishes, finally, restart your system.
Solution 2: Change the format of Audio
1. First, Right-click on the Sound icon from the taskbar.
2. Afterward, choose Recording devices.
3. Then right-click on Microphone and go through Properties.
4. Afterward, go to the Advanced tab and from the Default Format, select any other frequency.
5. Finally, Save the changes and restart your system.
Solution 3: Check the hardware
It can be a reason for the error related to your microphone. Ensure to check the hardware of your system, or it’s better to check microphone on your PC. Though it’ll be time taking or complicated for new users, it’s better than going outside for repairing!
Solution 4: Uninstall or reinstall your microphone drivers
1. First, In the search bar, type Device manager.
2. Then within Device manager, choose Audio inputs and outputs.
3. Afterward, click on your microphone and choose Uninstall.
4. Disconnect your microphone physically from your system.
5. Then restart your system. Also, check for the Audio Services Not Responding in Windows 10 error in your PC.
6. Afterward, reconnect your Microphone and let the Windows to reinstall your drivers.
7. If it not works, then install the latest driver from the manufacturer’s site.
Solution 5: Disable the Audio Enhancements
Although the feature of Audio Enhancement can improve the sound experience of your system, it can also be an issue or problem for the microphone. So, disabling the ‘Audio Enhancements’ can solve the microphone issue.
1. First, Right-click on the Sound icon from the taskbar.
2. Then choose Recording devices.
3. Afterward, right-click on microphone and select Properties.
4. Go to Enhancements tab and check whether the Sound effects is disabled or not.
5. Finally, Save the changes.
You may also like –
Solution 6: Use the Troubleshooter
If you are using Windows 10, you may have a new troubleshooting instrument designed to agree with different system related issues which include recording and sound problems also.
Below are the steps to turn on the Troubleshooter-
1. First, Choose Settings.
2. Go to Update and Security then Troubleshoot.
3. Search for Recording Audio and choose Run the Troubleshooter.
4. Proceed with further instructions.
5. Finally, Restart your system.
Don’t miss out –
Solution 7: Turn on Microphone in Settings of Windows 10
Apart from the above issues, this error can also be linked to the microphone settings. So, turning on your microphone can help you out from this issue. Check this out, if your laptop is having sound issues.
1. First, Press the Windows shortcut Windows key along with I to open the Settings.
2. Choose Privacy menu.
3. In the left-side, you will see an option of Microphone. Click it to view its description.
4. Now, turn on your Microphone which is at the right side of the displayed screen.
Also, you can disable or enable the apps to use the mic.
Also, read –
Solution 8: Update Windows 10 high definition audio device
1. First, Search for Device Manager from the start menu.
2. Find your audio driver.
3. Right-click on your audio driver and choose Update driver software.
4. You will get to see many update options. From that, choose Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Now, select Let me pick from a list of device drivers.
6. A list will be displayed which includes High definition audio device.
7. Finally, Choose and install it.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂