Many users of Windows 10 reported the problem regarding com surrogate has stopped working when they browse files or folders containing media files. COM Surrogate is the host process which is executable running in the background at the time of file or folder browsing. Due to the host process, you can see file thumbnails and other information. This error can also be caused when the user tries to take a printout from the internet source and is not noticed until a crash occurs.
Related Errors: Fix Antimalware Service Executable High CPU Usage
The “dllhost.exe” process displays by the name “COM Surrogate” and you are likely to notice its presence when it crashes, and a pop-up message arrives saying “Com Surrogate has stopped working.” Explorer uses this COM Surrogate at the time of extracting thumbnails. You will get certain types of crashes when browsing files or folders containing media or video files.
COM Surrogate is the fundamental Windows 10 process that is responsible for displaying thumbnails and information related to it. If something goes wrong for example COM Surrogate fails, it rescues the Explorer from crashing and takes the entire dependency on itself. Due to this reason, we consider COM Surrogate as the Sacrificial process. Before going through the solutions to fix the issue of Com Surrogate has stopped working, always ensure that your Windows 10 is up to date. The reason behind this is almost all the difficulties or issues are fixed with the Windows updates.
Solve This Issue Also: 3 Ways to Fix Laptop Battery Plugged in Not Charging Error
How to Fix Com Surrogate has Stopped Working Issue
Here are the most effective solutions for you to resolve the issue of Com Surrogate has stopped working:
Solution 1: Disable DEP for “dllhost” file
1. First, Right-click on “my computer” icon or “this PC” icon and select “Properties.”
2. Then Choose “Advance system settings” which is located in the left-hand side.
3. Then Choose “Settings” from “Performance.”
4. From “Performance”, choose “Data Execution Prevention.”
5. Now, you will be given two options from which you have to choose the second one, i.e., “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.”
6. Then Click “Add.”
7. In the “Add” pop-up box, select the executable files.
8. Finally, Choose the “dllhost file” and click “open.”
You may also like –
Solution 2: Fix Internet Explorer
1. At First, Press “Windows key” along with “R.”
2. In the run window, type “inetcpl.cpl” and hit Enter.
3. Within the “Advanced tab”, select “Reset” and ensure to put a checkmark on “Delete personal settings.”
4. Finally, Reboot your system.
Solution 3: Uninstall recently installed drivers
1. First, Open the “Device manager.”
2. Then press “Windows key” along with “S” and type “Device manager.”
3. From the given list, select “Device Manager.”
4. Then search for recently installed drivers.
5. Then right-click on recently installed drivers one by one and select “Uninstall device.”
6. Click on “Uninstall” button.
7. When all the drivers are uninstalled, reboot your PC.
Fix these too –
Solution 4: Roll-back your Video Driver
1. First, Press the “Windows key” along with “X” to open the “quick access menu.”
2. Then Select “Device manager.”
3. Search for “Display adapters” and expand it.
4. Then Right-click on your “Display adapter driver” and select “Properties.”
5. Within “properties,” select “Driver” then click “Roll Back Driver.”
Also, if you have dedicated graphics of NVIDIA or AMD, then you might check for errors like NVIDIA Driver Crashing in Windows 10. These types of errors interrupt the fixing process. However, the fixes to these errors are also available on ValidEdge.
You might also like –
Solution 5: Re-register the DLLs
1. First, Select “command prompt” by right-clicking on the Windows button.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter:
Solution 6: Disable thumbnails
1. In the search bar, type “File Explorer options.”
2. Then, Click on “View” and ensure that you enable the option of “Always show icons, never thumbnails.”
3. Click “Apply” then “OK.”
4. Now, press the “Windows key” along with “S” and type “Disk Cleanup.”
5. From the given displayed list, choose “Disk Cleanup.”
6. Then choose your Windows 10 hard drive and click “OK.” “Disk Cleanup” will scan your drive.
7. Ensure that the thumbnails are checked to “Files to delete.”
8. Finally, Click “OK” to remove thumbnails.
You wouldn’t miss –
Solution 7: Close COM Surrogate by Task manager
1. At First, Press “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” to open the “Task Manager.”
2. Search “COM Surrogate” and right-click on it.
3. Then Select “End task” from the menu.
4. If you are not able to find “COM Surrogate”, next click on “Details” tab and find “dllhost.exe.”
5. Finally, Right-click on “dllhost.exe” and select “End task.”
Solution 8: Check Disk for errors.
1. At First, Press “Windows key” and hit Enter then select “This PC.”
2. Then Right-click on the “Hard disk drive” selected.
3. After that, Click on “Properties.”
4. Within “properties,” select “Check now” under “Error-checking.”
5. Finally, Check both the options and choose “Start.” You might also check for any Hard Disk Problem persisting in your system. ValidEdge can help you fix other errors as well.
Solution 9: Update Codecs
Updating Codecs seems to be helpful in fixing the issue of COM Surrogate has stopped working. If you have Nero or DivX installed then you have to update it to the latest version. But in some cases, you have to uninstall to again install it such that they work correctly. If you have updated Codecs and still facing the issue, then you should try to rename the files.
Also, read –
Solution 10: Hard disk error checking
You can run check disk utility to resolve this issue. This can be done as:
1. At First, Open the “Windows Explorer.”
2. Right-click on the drive you want to execute.
3. Then Select “Properties.”
4. In the “Properties” window, select “tools.”
5. Under “Error checking,” click on “Check” button.
Don’t forget to check –
Solution 11: Update Antivirus software
Specific antivirus software can sometimes cause difficulties with COM Surrogate process. To resolve this issue, you have to install the latest version of antivirus software. Also, there is certain antivirus software available in the market which will help your system to provide full protection.
Comment down if you’re aware of any other simple method to fix Com Surrogate has Stopped Working that can help our readers. Cheers!
- 1 How to Fix Com Surrogate has Stopped Working Issue
- 1.1 Solution 1: Disable DEP for “dllhost” file
- 1.2 Solution 2: Fix Internet Explorer
- 1.3 Solution 3: Uninstall recently installed drivers
- 1.4 Solution 4: Roll-back your Video Driver
- 1.5 Solution 5: Re-register the DLLs
- 1.6 Solution 6: Disable thumbnails
- 1.7 Solution 7: Close COM Surrogate by Task manager
- 1.8 Solution 8: Check Disk for errors.
- 1.9 Solution 9: Update Codecs
- 1.10 Solution 10: Hard disk error checking
- 1.11 Solution 11: Update Antivirus software
- 2 Ending Note