All of us love to play and enjoy different types of games, and some people are so addicted to playing games that they can’t even think of spending a day without playing it. Windows 10 is very famous for its gaming friendly interface and is appreciated by many users. But sometimes games may fail to launch due to a number of reasons. Games stop running when the Steam stuck on preparing to launch the games.
There cannot be a specific reason or problem which causes the steam to get stuck because everyone has a different computer system which has its hardware and software configuration. Whenever a user confronts this problem, their games crash immediately after they are launched. So it’s very annoying when users get the steam stuck on preparing to launch issue, and the games fail to launch.
- 1 How to Fix Steam Stuck on Preparing to Launch
- 1.1 Method 1. Repair corrupt files of your system
- 1.2 Method 2. Check out the game requirements
- 1.3 Method 3. Updating your Windows
- 1.4 Method 4. Update your Drivers
- 1.5 Method 5. Verify integrity of your selected games
- 1.6 Method 6. Disable unnecessary software
- 1.7 Method 7. Disable Windows Defender
- 1.8 Method 8. Reinstall Steam
- 1.9 Method 9. Correct your Time Zone
- 1.10 Method 10. Run steam as Administrator
How to Fix Steam Stuck on Preparing to Launch
Here we have some possible solutions for you to find out your exact problem and to fix it on your own. So have a look at all these solutions to know how to rectify your problem.
Method 1. Repair corrupt files of your system
It is the first and foremost way that you should go for, for escaping the Steam Preparing to Launch problem. For this you have to Download and run Reimage Plus which will scan for the corrupt files in your computer, then if some files are found to be corrupt or missing, repair them and then check if the steam preparing to launch stuck problem is solved or not. If it is resolved, you can continue enjoying your favorite games otherwise try out any of the different methods that are mentioned further.
Method 2. Check out the game requirements
Games might fail to get launched if your PC does not match up with the required specifications. So always remember to compare your computer’s specifications with that of the game requirements so that you can solve the steam stuck on preparing to launch problem. If your computer’s specs fall short in front of the game requirements, then upgrade your system to its latest version.
Method 3. Updating your Windows
Sometimes games cannot run in the absence of the latest version of Windows installed and running on your computer as there may be a compatibility issue between the game app and the Windows version. So if the requirement of the game does not match up with the framework, it will crash immediately when you are trying to launch them. To update your Windows follow the steps:
1. At First, click on Start and type ‘’Settings’’ in the dialogue box. Then press on the application that is displayed in the search results. Hit on the ‘’Update and Security button.’’
2. Afterward, you have to find ‘’Check for Updates’’ option in the ‘’Windows Update tab’’. Windows will check for the available updates on your PC, and you can run them after downloading.
Method 4. Update your Drivers
Remember to update your drivers always including audio, video, graphics drivers, DirectX, etc.
1. At First, press Windows + R key to bring the run window and to run it as an administrator.
2. Then type ‘’dxdiag’’ in the dialogue box. It will open the DirectX diagnostic tool. It will display the list of all the available hardware that is installed on your PC along with the versions of the software.
3. Use your hardware name to search the latest drivers available and download them respectively through the Internet.
Method 5. Verify integrity of your selected games
The game might cause a problem in running when your selected game files are corrupt. So follow the steps to verify the integrity of your game files:
1. At First, restart your computer and re-launch steam.
2. Then go to the library section and Right click on the game which is causing the problems.
3. Afterward, click on its properties and select the local files.
4. Click the ‘’Verify Integrity of Game Cache’’ button and steam will verify the game in a few minutes.
Method 6. Disable unnecessary software
Users can face issues due to the presence of unnecessary software in their device as due to this lot of background processes get active and which shortens the memory available on your RAM due to which steam doesn’t work correctly, and steam stuck on preparing to launch problem occurs. To disable:
1. Press Windows +R and launch your Task Manager. It will open the pop-up running application.
2. Type ‘’taskmgr’’ in the dialogue box. It will open up the Task Manager.
3. Delete all the unwanted processes such as Web Browser, updaters, etc.
4. Restart steam using Steam.exe.
Method 7. Disable Windows Defender
Windows Defender also can be the cause of the problems that occur during the launch of individual games. So you can consider to disable it and try launching the steam. It can be a little dangerous method and can harm your system so be sure to try it if you are comfortable with taking the risk.
1. At First, press Windows + R button and type ‘’gpedit.msc’’ in the dialogue box.
2. A Local Group Policy Editor will come out. Then click on the Computer Configuration tab and select Administrative Templates.
3. Afterward, there will be a folder of Windows Components. Click on it and select Windows Defender.
4. Now a number options will appear so browse through them and select ‘’Turn off Windows Defender’’.
5. Finally, select ‘’Enabled’’ to turn off the Windows Defender. Apply to settings and click on OK.
Method 8. Reinstall Steam
If the steam stuck on preparing to launch problem still occurs, you could choose to reinstall your steam client; your in-game data will be safe. Do not interrupt your system while the process is still going on as it may cause your files to get corrupted. Follow the steps.
1. At First, go to your steam directory. The default location of your directory is C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam.
2. Then locate SteamApps, Userdata, Steam.exe and Ssfn files.
3. Afterward, delete all the other files and restart your computer.
4. Relaunch steam, and it will start updating. After the update is done, the problem will be solved.
Also, read –
Method 9. Correct your Time Zone
Steam collects the real-time data from your system, and if the time zone is not correct, it will lead to the steam stuck on preparing to launch problem on Windows 10. To correct it:
1. At First, go to Control Panel and click on Date and Time.
2. Then click on the Internet Time and select change settings.
3. Synchronize your time with Internet time server option. Check and click on Update.
4. Finally, press OK and restart the system.
Method 10. Run steam as Administrator
It is another solution to solve steam stuck on preparing to launch problem. By running the steam as administrator, you can resolve the errors that were causing the steam stuck issues and can continue to play your games uninterruptedly.