Once in a while, you will need to disable Avast Antivirus. You can turn off all of its shields or just pause a few of them. It is one when you need to install any third party software. Or Avast may be blocking your favorite website or application. For programs or sites, you can also try the Avast whitelist.
You Can Also Try: 7 Best VPN for Mac in 2019
5 Methods to Temporarily Disable Avast Antivirus
Given below are a few methods which will help you in achieving this.
Method 1: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (All Shields) from the system tray
If you turn off all the Avast Antivirus shields, it completely turns off the program. The whole Avast Antivirus protection now stops working on your system. So you need to be sure before you disable Avast Antivirus. The steps are quite simple. They are given below.
1. At First, navigate to the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then you will find the orange Avast Antivirus icon.
3. Afterward, in some Windows systems, this icon remains hidden by default.
4. If you do not see it, click on the top arrow.
5. When you find the icon, perform a right-click on it. Look for the option Avast shields control.
6. Now you will get many other options. Disable for a) 10 minutes; b) 1 hour; c) until computer restart; d) permanently
7. When you choose any of these options, Avast will ask you for some confirmation.
8. Then confirm it, by selecting Yes.
9. After you have done this, Avast and all its shields will be disabled for the time duration you have chosen.
You can make sure if you have been able to disabler Avast Antivirus. Open the main window of the program itself. It should be red, and a message will read “All antivirus shields are off.” If you want to re-enable it, click on the green button which reads as RESOLVE. Now it will turn green. The new message appears on screen that reads “You’re protected.”
Method 2: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (All Shields) from within the application
You can perform the similar operation as in above method from within the application itself. Perform the steps given below on how to turn off avast.
1. At First, open the Avast Antivirus program in your system.
2. Within it, click on Settings and open it.
3. Then the Settings window will give you various options: General, Components, Update, Subscription, Troubleshooting and About Avast.
4. Afterward, you need to go to the Components tab.
5. Disable all the Security shields given within it. Do it permanently. Shields include File Shield, Behaviour Shield, Mail Shield, Web Shield.
6. Then click on OK.
There you have done it. You can make sure if the disabling has been successful. For that, follow the previous method.
Method 3: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (Specific Shields)
Avast Antivirus also gives an option to its users to turn off specific shields only. It will temporarily turn off/ pause any particular shield. Take note that you know what and why you are doing it.
Check This: Start Menu and Cortana Aren’t Working Error
1. At First, open the Avast Antivirus application on your PC.
2. Then you will have the main interface on your screen. Go to Protection -> Core Shields.
3. Afterwards, you can go to Settings which is at the bottom left corner of the main interface.
4. Then within Settings, go to the Components tab. You will have the four shields: File Shield, Behaviour Shield, Mail Shield, Web Shield.
Check Out: 5 Ways to Fix Windows Live Mail Won’t Open
5. Then find anyone which you want to disable. When you click on them, you will get four options: stop the shield for a) 10 minutes; b) 1 hour; c) until computer restart; d) permanently
6. Afterward, select the period you want and then click on it.
Suppose you have turned off the File Shield. Now to make sure that it has been turned off, you can see the switch change to OFF. Also, when you go to the main screen, you will see it has turned to yellow. There should be a message that will read as “File Shield is now off.”
If you want to enable it back again, just click on the green “Turn On” button below. The interface will turn green. A message will show that “You’re protected.”
Also Read –
Method 4: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus from the Task Manager
You can also use the services window in the Task Manager to disable Avast Antivirus.
1. At First, open the Task Manager. To do it, just right click on the taskbar on the bottom of the screen. You will find an option to open Task Manager. Alternatively, pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete simultaneously can give you the option to open Task Manager.
2. When the task manager window opens, go to the Services tab. Then click on it to open Services.
3. Afterward, find the Avast Antivirus services from the list shown. Then open the properties of this program by right-clicking on it.
4. Later, it will open the Avast Service Properties. Then click on the Stop button. It will stop in a few seconds.
5. After that, from the drop-down menu in Startup type, choose Disabled. Then click on OK.
Read Also: 9 Ways to Fix Fallout 4 Crash on Startup
Now this will disable Avast Antivirus on your system.
Method 5: Uninstall Avast Antivirus completely
You can permanently uninstall the program from your system. At First, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Within it, go to Uninstall a program. Then find Avast Antivirus in the list shown. Afterwards, right click on it, choose Uninstall. It is a straightforward step, but we strongly recommend not to do it. Avast is an excellent antivirus and helps you in the long run.
These were all the steps to disable Avast Antivirus. Employ any of them as per your requirements.
- 1 5 Methods to Temporarily Disable Avast Antivirus
- 1.1 Method 1: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (All Shields) from the system tray
- 1.2 Method 2: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (All Shields) from within the application
- 1.3 Method 3: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus (Specific Shields)
- 1.4 Method 4: Turn off/ Disable Avast Antivirus from the Task Manager
- 1.5 Method 5: Uninstall Avast Antivirus completely