The Directory Name is Invalid is a very common issue. But don’t worry as we have 6 Ways to Fix the Directory Name in Invalid Windows 10. After following one of these ways, you will be able to overcome this problem.
An error message reports to sometimes appear after a fresh install or upgrade to Windows 10. The message shows when you insert a disc in the CD/DVD drive. You may initially think that it is because your CD/DVD drive is not working correctly, but upon checking the Device Manager, it can be found that your CD drive is working correctly and does not have any errors.
Try This Also: 10 Ways to Fix Steam Disk Write Error in Windows 10
So, since there is no issue with the device manager or drivers, updating your drivers or troubleshooting it, or even completely installing new drivers would not make much change. Installing a new driver will only show a message that the driver is already installed. The source of this error can be many, from a corrupted, outdated, or incompatible device driver to a damaged SATA port. It is an error that can be fixed with only a few methods.
So here we introduce you to these best methods that can help you fix the Directory Name, an Invalid error in windows 10. Before you begin using any of these steps to troubleshoot the Directory Name is an Invalid error, we recommend that you create a restore point to ensure that your files are safe even if something goes wrong. Go through the following steps carefully as even a small mistake can cause considerable damage.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Fix the Directory Name is Invalid
- 2 Final Words
How to Fix the Directory Name is Invalid
Method 1: Update BIOS
BIOS update is a critical task, so be always careful because if something goes wrong, it can severely damage your system. We expert the utmost care or even expert supervision for performing this task.
You Might Be Facing This: 8 Ways to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142
1. Firstly, you have to identify your BIOS version. To do so, press the Windows Key + R, type “msinfo32,” and then hit enter to open System Information.
2. After the System Information window is opened, Find the BIOS Version/Date and note down the manufacturer and BIOS version.
3. Then, open your computer manufacturer’s website and then enter your computer’s serial number or select the auto-detect option. In my case, it’s Dell, so I’ll navigate to Dell’s official website.
4. Download the latest BIOS version from the given list of drivers. (Remember not to turn off your computer or disconnect your power source while updating the BIOS as it may harm your computer)
5. After the file is downloaded, double-click on the file to run it.
6. After the BIOS update is complete, check if the Directory name is an invalid error is fixed.
Read, also –
Method 2: Change SATA Port
If you are still experiencing the error even after the BIOS update, then the reason may be a Faulty or Damaged SATA port. If it is the case, then changing the SATA port in which your CD/DVD drive is plugged can resolve the error.
To do this task, you need to open your PC/Laptop case. It can be quite dangerous and may damage your computer if not done correctly. So we recommend you do this with the help of a professional or under professional supervision.
Method 3: Disabling and then Re-Enabling the DVD drive
1. Press the Windows Key + R, type in “devmgmt.msc“, and click OK to open the Device Manager.
2. Click to Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click on them, and select Disable device.
3. After the device is disabled, right click on it again and then select Enable.
4. Now, Restart your computer to apply the changes you have done. After that, you can check whether the Directory name is invalid error is resolved.
Method 4: Delete all Portable Devices
1. Press Windows Key+R, type in “devmgmt.msc,” and then hit OK to open Device Manager.
2. Click on the View button and select Show hidden devices.
3. Click to expand Portable Devices and then Right Click on each Portable Devices and select Uninstall device.
4. Delete all the devices listed under the Portable Devices list.
5. Then, Reboot your computer to save the Changes and check whether the result will come.
Don’t miss out –
Method 5: Uninstalling DVD Drive Drivers
1. Press the Windows Key + R and then type in “devmgmt.msc” and click OK.
2. Click to expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click on your DVD drive, and select Uninstall.
3. If you ask for confirmation, then select Yes or Continue.
4. Reboot your PC, and the drivers will install automatically.
5. Check whether the directory name is invalid error has been resolved.
Method 6: Change the drive letter of CD/DVD Drive
1. Press the Windows Key+X, then select Disk Management.
2. Find your CD/DVD drive from the list. (CD ROM 0/DVD drive)
3. Right–click on it, then select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. After the next window opens, click on the Change button.
5. Change the Drive letter to any other letter from the Drop-Down list.
6. Click on OK and now close the Disk Management Window.
7. Reboot your PC to apply the changes.
8. And check whether the error has been resolved or not.
Read also –
These are the steps to fix the Directory Name is the Invalid error in windows 10. Always go through these steps carefully and understand thoroughly before attempting them, as mistakes can damage your computer. This error can also occur for the external storage devices or any other device that connects to your PC.
All these errors require almost the same steps but remember to use the name of the drive. Here we are using a CD/DVD drive. For anything, another driver, find the name, then troubleshoot those directories that.
We hope that these steps helped you to fix the error. Any error can resolve with a bit of patience and knowledge in our system. So anyone can troubleshoot them if you have basic knowledge of computers.
Gravit Sinha is the founder of ValidEdge. Ever since he was a kid, he has been a problem fixer and that passion is what inspired him to start and grow this website! 🙂