Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712 is a very common issue. But don’t worry as we have 7 Ways to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80073712. After following one of these ways, you will be able to overcome this problem.
If you see the error code 0x80073712 while updating (sometimes the code 0x80070003), this means Windows Update needs a particular file, which has been damaged or is missing. Therefore Windows is unable to install the updates.
It can happen with any random update. It is a frustrating issue. You can try out any one of the solutions below, and get rid of this issue.
How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712
Method 1: Run The Windows Update Troubleshooter
The window has a built-in tool you can use for troubleshooting. It works fairly well and can certainly solve some of the issues. Many users report that this method solves the error code 0x80073712. Follow these steps:
1. First, press the Windows key. In the box, type Troubleshooting. Then open the result that says Troubleshooting. It has the Control Panel written underneath.
2. A window will open. Within this window, under System and Security, find the link that says Fix problems with Windows Update. Then click on it and check if your system has Windows Update Error 0x80070002 too. You can find the fix on our website for this error as well.
3. Now, run the troubleshooter. Wait for the process to finish. Also, when it is done, run your Windows Update, and start installing the updates again. See if you get the error as of now.
Method 2: Run The Dism Tool To Fix The Issue
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool comes built-in with Windows itself. This tool can be used to service a Windows image. It fixes many issues and can come in handy with the 0x80073712 error as well. You must note that this is a potent tool. Making mistakes while running it is not desirable. That can lead to other issues.
Fix these too –
1. First, press the Windows key. Type in cmd, right clicks on the result. Then choose Run as administrator.
2. Alternatively, press the Windows + X keys simultaneously. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. OR you can click on Start, then type cmd, right click on cmd, and then choose Run as administrator.
3. Now inside the command prompt, you have to type in the following commands. Then press Enter after each command. That will execute it. Make sure to wait for one command to finish running before you execute the second one.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Scanhealth
DISM.exe. /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
4. When the second command completes running, close the Command Prompt. For this, you either click on X in the corner. Or type in exit, and press Enter.
5. Rerun the Windows update. Then see if the DISM tool has fixed your problem.
Method 3: Run System File Checker
If the troubleshooter does not help with the 0x80073712, you can run the SFC scan. It will fix the corrupted files.
1. First, click on Start.
2. In the Search programs and files box, type “cmd”.
3. Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Then click on OK. This will open the command prompt. Alternatively, press Windows + X keys. Then click on Command Prompt (Admin).
4. Now type “sfc/scannow” at the command prompt.
5. The process will take some time. Then replace the corrupt files.
Restart the system. The SFC scan will help in fixing the system-related issues. It also solves the Windows Update problems.
Don’t miss out –
Method 4: Reset Windows Update Components Manually
The faulty Windows update components also cause the error 0x80073712 sometimes. So you can reset the Windows update components.
1. At First, Click on the Start menu button. Right-click to open WinX menu.
2. Type in “cmd”. Then right click on cmd, then select Run as administrator.
3. In the WinX menu, choose Command Prompt (Admin). It will open an Elevated Command Prompt.
4. Then write the given commands in the elevated Command Prompt. Then press Enter after each command. Wait for one command to run successfully. Then type in the next one.
Feeling Bored: 10 Best Dating Apps in 2019
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
Now close the elevated Command Prompt. Restart your system. Try installing the update again, check if it gives an error.
Also, read –
Method 5: Restart Windows Update Services
1. At First, press Windows + R keys simultaneously. Now, in the Run dialog box, type in “services.msc” and click enter.
2. Locate the service named Windows Update. Also, make sure your PC does not have the Windows Update Service Not Running Error. Else, you can fix it through the anchor link as well.
3. Next, check the status of the service. If the column is blank, that is, the status is not indicated, then right click on it. Then select Start.
4. Force starting the services might cause an error. In this case, find the option Startup Type. Then, set this option to Automatic.
5. Restart your system and try installing the update. Make sure you don’t have any Windows 10 Update Error such as 0x8024a105.
Now, check again if it gives the 0x80073712 error.
Method 6: Make Use Of The Media Creation Tool
The Media Creation Tool is launched with Windows 10 to develop the digital delivery of the system. It can be used to force the updates and surpass the issues. Follow the given steps:
1. First, download Media Creation tool from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2. Next, backup your data and license key.
3. Then start your desktop client. Then click on Upgrade your PC.
4. The tool will find the required updates and then install them automatically.
5. When the entire process is completed, finally, restart your system.
Finally, this Media Creation Tool will help you download the update without giving the 0x80073712 error.
Method 7: Restore Your Computer
1. First, Click on your Settings.
2. In the Settings screen, now open Update and Recovery. Under this section, then click on Restore.
3. Next, restore your computer without deleting files. Then click on Start.
4. Then follow the instructions on the screen. Lastly, this should solve the 0x80073712 error entirely.
More on ValidEdge –
So, all the above seven methods have been tested many times. Also, one or more methods might not work because of your system configuration. Please give them a try and have your problem solved.
- 1 How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712
- 1.1 Method 1: Run The Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.2 Method 2: Run The Dism Tool To Fix The Issue
- 1.3 Method 3: Run System File Checker
- 1.4 Method 4: Reset Windows Update Components Manually
- 1.5 Method 5: Restart Windows Update Services
- 1.6 Method 6: Make Use Of The Media Creation Tool
- 1.7 Method 7: Restore Your Computer
- 2 Bottom Line